Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I or shouldn't I?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten

I just bought a pair of 2.0 SS heat exchangers as an upgrade to my 1911 engine which currently has crappy 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers.

Now I am weighing my options:

If I remove the old ones, I run the risk of pulling a stud out of the heads, and as I recall, I think the studs are alread oversized.

Should I do it, or should I save these babies for later? Or, is there any guaranteed way of removing these without stripping studs?
SpecialK
You're gonna need a new (2.0L) muffler, and muffler hanger (2.0L) to install the 2.0 H/E's. The H/E's are different shape.......the 1.7's and 1.8's "swoop" up towards the outlet end, and the 2.0's are relatively flat........I think.....or something to that effect. unsure.gif
double-a
i just performed this operation on my new 75. i bought new 2.0 ssi exchangers, muffler and heating ducts for a complete earlier style heating and exhaust system. the best advice i would give is to soak those studs and nuts with a penetrating lubricant (pb blaster, liquid wrench) for a couple days; hit 'em several times to let it soak in. i did this and they came off without incident.

the best part was throwing those ridiculous 75/76 heat exchangers in the trash when i was done smilie_pokal.gif

~a

thomasotten
Yeah, what is the deal with those 75/76 exhangers??? screwy.gif Screwy

Where can I buy that muffler hanger from?
Dave_Darling
Check in the "914 club member products" section of the BBS. Someone around here was making them, which is good. Because they've been NLA new for a while...

--DD
mudfoot76
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Mar 24 2005, 01:16 AM)

Where can I buy that muffler hanger from?

Send a PM to Engman. I have one of his 2.0L muffler hangers. Really nice piece!
rhodyguy
be patient with the stud nuts! clean anything you can off exposed threads. blaster is good and i recommend Aerokriol frequently. soak them for 2 days and spray them a couple of times a day. if you start reefing on the nuts you're looking for trouble. once you break them loose work the nut back and forth as they come off. be patient!!. if you have one, use a 1/4" drive socket. they can give you a bit more clearence to the exhaust pipes. be patient!!!

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.