Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been talking about doing this for years..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
I may have finally sold the 914. I will be looking at a '69 Ossi blue 912 this Friday or Saturday, and if things check out, I do believe the 914 will head off to its new home. It is being sold to a friend, with the guarantee that it will either be sold back to myself, or sold to another good friend, until I have a stable enough life to purchase it back.

The car is a matching numbers 912, almost zero rust, one owner, 82,000 original miles, and full service records since new. No, I won't feel any guilt converting it to a 912-6, as My dream car has always been a 1969 911S.

Still not sure what to think about the thought of not seeing the 914 every day, but I can't afford to have both, and have wanted to get into 911/912's for a long time. Now to find a cheap 2.0/2.2L 6 and make the conversion, and a set of cheap 15x6 fuchs..

I certainly won't be saying goodbye to the 914 community, as I'm still taking care of my dad's car, but I may be even less active than I have been, due to my hectic school schedule..

Gratuitous Pictures...
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
DRPHIL914
very nice, I say don't feel bad, but you will be drawn back to 914's no doubt. but that is a really nice car!! get the 912 for sure.
I just passed up a chance at an almost mint 74 911 targa that was rust free and nicely partly restored, but the 2.7 was smoking , probably from worn valve guides and I didn't pull the trigger- I think I screwed up!! it was only $19k. - confushus say "he who hesitates will be lost" - or will loose. - so I say don't hesitate.
Good Luck and that s a great way to go, you hav the option to buy back at some point!!
Bartlett 914
Nice!
Kansas 914
Very nice!

Your legacy lives on as the heartbeat of the Wild Child. I have more fun driving it than the 2.7L /6.

Click to view attachment
Hank914
Life is short. Enjoy the ride.
mbseto
Pretty car!
As was mentioned, lifes short. Simply enjoy what ever suits you. A 914 or 911 and or both at the same time. I don't you're here to please anyone other than your self and or your parents. Congrats with your new journey.
billh1963
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 8 2016, 10:58 AM) *

The car is a matching numbers 912, almost zero rust, one owner, 82,000 original miles, and full service records since new. No, I won't feel any guilt converting it to a 912-6, as My dream car has always been a 1969 911S.

Early 912's are bringing good money. You sure that's what you want to do? smile.gif

Why not buy a "cheap" roller 911 (there are several on pelican right now and backdate/modify to your heart's content?

Good luck on whatever you decide beer.gif
billh1963
Just a few Rollers:

82 911

99 996 Roller

66 912 sans engine

Race car...sold with fresh engine or as roller: 78 SC Race Car

76 911 no-sunroof
Tom_T
Ethan,

Gorgeous 912! drooley.gif wub.gif

However, you may want to look into building up thet 912's 4 or do one of those 911-4 conversions for more HP as a bolt in swap & save the original 4 (especially if it's numbers matching or a documented Porsche Xchange motor).

IIRC Panorama, Excellence &/or Hemmings Sports & Exotics did several articles on those options to give the 912s more oomf in the past 2-3 years, on actual cars. That kept the extra 200-400 lbs. off the car from a 911 6, so it still handled much better.

It's worth researching before you go hacking up a cherry little 912 like this one! type.gif idea.gif

JMHO! shades.gif

Good luck with school & career Ethan! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
A 912 for a 914.... are you expecting?
'73-914kid
Any modification I make will be properly done, to allow the original Type 616 to be reinstalled at a later date if deemed necessary. The advantage to this car, is that I can buy it, and drive while I work on it, unlike those other project cars.. It's also pre-smog, which has huge advantages here in California. A small displacement -6 should suit the car nicely for daily driver duties.

Rob, not expecting, but I am getting married. I want something quieter to commute in, and she wants something more roomy inside for long road trips.. The house we will be renting will not have a garage, so I need to get something that won't leak like a colander...
iwanta914-6
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 8 2016, 02:39 PM) *

The house we will be renting will not have a garage, so I need to get something that won't leak like a colander...

I've heard that finding insurance for vintage cars is difficult if it's not stored in a garage. That 912 looks far too nice to sit outside in the elements.
billh1963
You California guys need to get behind this!

Bill to end smog testing for pre-'81 car
'73-914kid
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 8 2016, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 8 2016, 02:39 PM) *

The house we will be renting will not have a garage, so I need to get something that won't leak like a colander...

I've heard that finding insurance for vintage cars is difficult if it's not stored in a garage. That 912 looks far too nice to sit outside in the elements.

I insure my cars with State Farm, as I drive my car too much for a classic car insurance.
Bulldog9
To each his own, but that 912 has earned the right to stay as it was designed and intended. If the car was a basket case, needed a restore, converting to a 6 would make sense, but this thing is pristine, and all original, would be wrong to start chopping it up. It's not just a simple motor bolt in. The chassis, brakes, suspension will all be outclassed by a 6 cyl motor. Spend some time on the 912bbs. Go find a real 911 or a 912 in need or a restore, don't destroy this example of a survivor. Just my .02.
somd914
Well, you certainly built a beautiful 914 that most anyone would be proud to own, including me...

As for the 912, wow. I typically don't side with the originality crowd, but if the car is as good as she looks in the pictures, well, I'd have to start reconsidering. However I'll stick to my guns, cars are made to be driven and enjoyed, and undoubtedly you'll do another great job with the 912. But you might want to consider building up the four...

Keep us informed.
[quote name=''73-914kid' date='Mar 8 2016, 07:58 AM' post='2312867']

Now to find a cheap 2.0/2.2L 6 and make the conversion, and a set of cheap 15x6 fuchs..

Mark has a complete 69 T in South Bay for sale. To my knowledge, he would like to unload it so he doesn't have to haul to his new house in Az.
Good luck.

76-914
piratenanner.gif Hot Damn, son. Nice and already blue for you know who. She did pick the blue for the 914, right? Smart move! Stick it with a 6 then when it's time to sell back in with the #'s matching drive train. drunk.gif
Archie
Beautiful 912! Always liked them. Not sure I'd want to hack it up, though?
Good luck with it.
flyer86d
Beautiful car and one of my favorite colors! I had a couple of customers with 912s and while you had to flog the piss out of them, that was what made it fun. I would be inclined to build a BIG 914 motor for it. You would get good HP numbers with much better torque than a 6. You would not have to cut the car up. The music would be different.

Charlie
SKL1
Great looking 912! First Porsche in our family was my uncle's '69 912. I'd keep it a 912 as well- you're used to the "power" of a 4 cylinder. Keep it original!!!
Love the steelies too as much of a Fuchs fan as I am...
SirAndy
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 8 2016, 07:58 AM) *
Now to find a cheap 2.0/2.2L 6 and make the conversion, and a set of cheap 15x6 fuchs..

Nooooooooooooo, don duu id ...
unsure.gif

Seriously, that looks way too nice to be chopped up for a 911 replica.
driving.gif
r_towle
You will get a 914 later.

Enjoy the 912 for what it is.
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 8 2016, 05:48 PM) *

You will get a 914 later.

Enjoy the 912 for what it is.

Ethan.... friendly advice....and I know you didn't ask but here it is anyway.

You will always never have the time.

You are getting married. Things will change. Including you, and that's ok. Most of us will still be here by the grace of God in some form or another.

Like Rich said, you'll get another 914... make your marriage wonderful, and your 912. Do it because that is what you want.

rick 918-S
assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
Are you taunting me Rick? haha

I'm not worried about converting the car to a -6, becasue I'm confident that the modifications I will make will all be "fixable" in the event I decide to sell the car. The motor will be put on a pallet and wrapped up for storage, and the mounts will be removed in a safe way.. Everything can be welded up.

Also, Despite the pictures, there are some niggling issues that make this car far from perfect. It's very much so a driver, not a show car, having had one somewhat iffy repaint during it's life.

I have a different view.. it's survived with 90hp for this long, it deserves a bit more now. I'm not concerned with the monetary value of the car. I want to enjoy it.. Hence why my 914 turned out the way it did.. Sorry, not trying to ruffle any feathers hthat last bit. I appreciate everyone's advice on this.
RickS
You will want to check in here for all things 912: http://912registry.org

912s are wonderful cars. They have better balance than 911s since there is less weight in the back, far more comfortable than 914s for long hauls and that classic shape. Enjoy.
Alphaogre
It's great to see you starting on a new adventure. I have always like the concept of the 912s should be a fun little car...

Why a 2.0 six and not hopping up a 4? Just curious....

Some more inspiration biggrin.gif
http://youtu.be/cNfmcIHpsH8
sixnotfour
I cant believe I am saying this , But keep it a 4 ....those engines are pretty cool..
do this and have fun...Not a type4......
JmuRiz
That's cool, don't see too many twin plugs.

If you want small /6 power you can do it with the 1800+cc kits using L&N nickies.

Rick: What's the story with that rough 912? Must be in your shop since I see a Benz in the background....
oldschool
I want a ride piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.