Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Ended on way to work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Millerwelds
Some dumb b!tch paying attention to her lobotomy (kid) in the back seat of her car rear ended me on my way to work. I was stopped at a sign in OBVIOUS stopped traffic and she just rolled up right into me. I was too mad to want to deal with insurance as I am 90% sure I have a spare rear bumper in my parts stash. Very slight push into the body. On the 2nd picture you can see how the white curve next to the black bumper changes its arc. I should be able to straighten it out. Frustration at other peoples stupidity. She acted like it was no big deal and it happens all the time. I was like not to me! I take care of my stuff and I don’t hit other people’s cars! And I don’t expect them to hit me. She was like “I did not do that it was already there” and I was like “look at this car, it is a classic, it is a Porsche. I take pride in it and take great care of it”. Arghh…...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ferg
I have no idea why you would not file a report and use her insurance confused24.gif
rudedude
I hope you don't let her off the hook!
Elliot Cannon
How DARE that "dumb bitch" and her "lobotomy kid" put a dimple in your bumper!! Did you explain to her that you drive a classic car, are a perfect driver and you are totally incapable of such a horrible mistake. Fix your bumper and get over it. biggrin.gif
Olympic 914
QUOTE(rudedude @ Mar 8 2016, 01:48 PM) *

agree.gif

Two times when I tried to be nice about it I ended up getting screwed.
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 8 2016, 10:56 AM) *

How DARE that "dumb bitch" and her "lobotomy kid" put a dimple in your bumper!! Did you explain to her that you drive a classic car, are a perfect driver and you are totally incapable of such a horrible mistake. Fix your bumper and get over it. biggrin.gif

Fully appreciate the humor. beerchug.gif At the time under stress all I could see was the bumper itself. I opened the trunk and pulled up the carpet and there were no initial visible signs. It was not till I got to work and took some additional time to really look it over that I saw the full extent. At this point it is too late to go after her. I did not even get her info. I made her give me the $50 she had on her and told her to leave. I f'd up not getting her info, taking pictures of her car, etc. Oh well. Too late now. Time to fix the dimple and move on....
Tom_T
CA is a "NO Fault" insurance state. You just have to report it to your insurance company as a non-fault accident - you were stopped at a stop sign/light & she hit you - then they should cover you 100% less deductible on your policy & may waive your deductible (ask them to do so, if they don't offer it). Then your insurance company deals with hers & collects from them.

You don't do anything but supply the details, show the car at the shop to repair it, & give your insurance company her info. ..... assuming you did at least exchange info as required by CA law.

Plus under CA law - you & she has to report any accident over $500 damage - which is almost anything today - as the cost of parts & shop rates are higher than 20+ years ago when that law was passed. There are fines for not reporting IIRC.

Your insurance should do the report for you, but verify they will - as some low ball carriers won't do much, & you don't say who your insurance is with.

So you really cannot get away with just not reporting it at all, even as the innocent victim.

Some kid hit the back of our Westy stopped at a light a few years ago, & he was at fault, we reported it to AAA, they covered it 100% & waived the decuctible, then collected from his Daddy's insurance company, & reported it to DMV - we just took the car to the shop for the estimate & had it fixed - no sweat - easy peasy! smile.gif

Just report it & get it out of your hair - let her insurance ultimately pay for a new bumper & any other work needed - & save your spare for later.

PS - just read your post you made while I was typing mine. You may have issues if she gets home & someone tells her to report it. Try to recall her plate # just in case, & make/model/color/etc. of the car & her description - then write it down .... just in case.

As for the hidden damage - you may need to put it on a Cellet Bench to make sure the unibody is straight & true, otherwise you'll be crabbing down the road scrubbing your tires at an angle & losing that wonderful 914 handling! Have someone follow you in another car on a straight stretch of road to see if the 914 s tracking straight or at an angle. That will at least tell you if it's a bad bent unibody problem, but could still have a minor one too hard to see visually.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914

slap.gif
you cant fix stupid you know!
is your neck sore yet?? probably will be since you don't have those nice shock absorbing 10mph bumpers like I have. - 10mph bump from rear causes 5g force of whiplash to head/neck. the slow ones can be much worse than the fast ones.......
it usually takes a few days before you can feel if that little bump gave you a little tweek ----- no heat, only ice if it does become sore..... That's my doctorly advice for the day shades.gif

and glad it wasn't worse!!
Darren C
That really sucks!

Glad you're ok (that's the most important thing) and it's only superficial damage to the 14.
I hope it's an easy pain free fix for you.
Cairo94507
The only way stupid is fixed is when stupid is held accountable and pays for their stupidity.
billh1963
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Mar 8 2016, 01:38 PM) *

She acted like it was no big deal and it happens all the time.

Probably does happen all the time to her. If she never suffers the consequences of her actions why should she give a sh!t about you and your car?
xperu
QUOTE(rudedude @ Mar 8 2016, 12:48 PM) *

agree.gif This may not be the first time for her, besides, let her pay for the damage. I'm really not the suing type, but I wouldn't lift a finger or pay a cent to do any repairs. Mike
gandalf_025
I've let people go after hitting my commuter car only to
have their attorney or Insurance Company call to say it was
my fault.
One woman cried and apologized, but her husband changed
the story after the fact. My insurance company told me they would pay
because they weren't a detective agency.. My rates went up.

I get all the info and report it now.. Dash Cam is in the near future..
Just not worth the risk .....
EdwardBlume
Sorry dude! That sucks. I hope everything is still good when you take the bumper off...

billh1963
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 8 2016, 02:53 PM) *

Yep...I have one that runs whenever I drive. With the intelligence level of the average driver dropping every day I think it's worth having one.

Click to view attachment
r_towle

my fault.

Where do you commute to?
The kitchen? bootyshake.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 8 2016, 11:04 AM) *

CA is a "NO Fault" insurance state.

Since when??? I certainly was judged "at fault" when I hit someone a couple of years back. I also remember that we (stupidly!) wrote into the state constitution a while back that we were an "at fault" state...

--DD
Pursang
Happened to me too long ago but much worse. November of 1993. Accident in the west hills tunnel during the rain (because Oregon). Cars in front of me all stopped. Car behind me stopped. Car behind him did not. My ivory '74 became the creme in the Oreo. Body damage only. No frame issues and did not touch the transmission either. Front end got a pick-up truck's trailer hitch in the left headlight bucket.

His insurance company said they'd pay but car was "totaled." I didn't think so and spent bucks out of my own pocket to have Roth & Miller (Portland) do the repair. They did a fine job. The car had original paint in decent shape but I was able to get the whole car repainted correctly too. The car won the Porsche class in the Forest Grove concours the next summer.

I ended up with a "reconstructed" title. That's a little annoying but since I've owned the car since 1987 and am not going to ever sell it (that I can forsee), that makes little difference to me.

Lesson learned though was about insurance coverage. I had the minimum and in the other guys insurance company did a fair market valuation that was way short of the actual value of the car. I was not smart enough to get a lawyer to make them pay. Water under the bridge though.

Hope that your case works out for you.
RickS
It would be ironic if the lobotomy turned out to be the scientist who discovered the cure to cancer. St anger things have happened.
whitetwinturbo
mad.gif ar15.gif mad.gif
Spoke
Real bummer.

Definitely contact the insurance co. and police if appropriate. You may have unseen damage and the dented parts should be replaced. You did nothing wrong and should not be penalized by someone else's mistake.

BTW, it looks like the body is dented in as well. You have some bodywork ahead of you on this one.
era vulgaris

Some dumb b!tch paying attention to her lobotomy (kid) in the back seat of her car

Lobotomies and kids....I don't understand why anyone would EVER have either one of those things.
porschetub
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Mar 9 2016, 06:35 PM) *

Some dumb b!tch paying attention to her lobotomy (kid) in the back seat of her car

Lobotomies and kids....I don't understand why anyone would EVER have either one of those things.

Funny ,but really if that was a chrome bumper it would be worse,honestly I was expecting the car to be really bent up............
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 8 2016, 03:04 PM) *

CA is a "NO Fault" insurance state. You just have to report it to your insurance company as a non-fault accident - you were stopped at a stop sign/light & she hit you - then they should cover you 100% less deductible on your policy & may waive your deductible (ask them to do so, if they don't offer it). Then your insurance company deals with hers & collects from them.

You don't do anything but supply the details, show the car at the shop to repair it, & give your insurance company her info. ..... assuming you did at least exchange info as required by CA law.

Plus under CA law - you & she has to report any accident over $500 damage - which is almost anything today - as the cost of parts & shop rates are higher than 20+ years ago when that law was passed. There are fines for not reporting IIRC.

Your insurance should do the report for you, but verify they will - as some low ball carriers won't do much, & you don't say who your insurance is with.

So you really cannot get away with just not reporting it at all, even as the innocent victim.

Some kid hit the back of our Westy stopped at a light a few years ago, & he was at fault, we reported it to AAA, they covered it 100% & waived the decuctible, then collected from his Daddy's insurance company, & reported it to DMV - we just took the car to the shop for the estimate & had it fixed - no sweat - easy peasy! smile.gif

Just report it & get it out of your hair - let her insurance ultimately pay for a new bumper & any other work needed - & save your spare for later.

PS - just read your post you made while I was typing mine. You may have issues if she gets home & someone tells her to report it. Try to recall her plate # just in case, & make/model/color/etc. of the car & her description - then write it down .... just in case.

As for the hidden damage - you may need to put it on a Cellet Bench to make sure the unibody is straight & true, otherwise you'll be crabbing down the road scrubbing your tires at an angle & losing that wonderful 914 handling! Have someone follow you in another car on a straight stretch of road to see if the 914 s tracking straight or at an angle. That will at least tell you if it's a bad bent unibody problem, but could still have a minor one too hard to see visually.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The Cellette bench requires the engine and suspension be removed. Quite a lot of work! huh.gif
gandalf_025
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 8 2016, 09:54 PM) *

my fault.

Where do you commute to?
The kitchen? bootyshake.gif

Rich... This house is WAY too small for the kitchen
to be considered a commute.... even the garage isn't that far..

The outhouse on the other hand....

I did commute to South Boston for a lot of years
and saw some pretty interesting things happen
on the road.. The Expressway during rush hour
had some wild road rage situations..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.