Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank - charcoal canister assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi again all,

Finally got the new SS fuel lines run on my 74 2.0. The lines were easy but getting the refurbished tank back in without kinking the hoses reminded me why I do not turn wrenches for a living. Finally got it right but spent way too much time.

I am getting ready to put charcoal canister back when I realized I did not note how it is supposed to sit atop the tank. One side of the canister is tapered, the other is flat. Which side is left (drivers) vs right.

Also, there is a little plastic cover that I put in the Baggie with the canister. You can see it at lower center of pic. Where does that go?

Thanks once again.

Click to view attachment
Amphicar770
Found the answer regarding direction of install here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1981788

Still trying to figure out the mystery plastic cover. Here is a better shot of that part.

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
laugh.gif

I have the same part in my "mystery part" bag. I actually didn't think it was a part for this car.... confused24.gif

Anxious to find out where it goes also.

BeatNavy
The plastic part is used to secure the tank with the metal strap. It sits on top of the tank, with the tank seam in that groove, and the metal strap cranks down on top of it.

See picture below (in the middle on top of the tank sitting on the seam):

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 8 2016, 05:52 PM) *

You must have an early VIN 1974 model? Mid year the charcoal canister moved to the engine bay. If in the front you need two vacuum lines run to the engine bay under the drivers side rocker panel...do you have these lines intact?
JeffBowlsby
Also:
Amphicar770
Thanks. Just proves you can never take enough pictures / notes.

After seeing the other post, I also just ordered some new activated charcoal pellets. The shipwrights disease syndrome never ends!

And yes, mine was actually built 11/73.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.