Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a muffler pretty quick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
I did a search here on mufflers and I think I'm interested in a bursch "quiet street" model but have never bought a new muffler for a 914. I have an old spare(monza dual exhaust thingy) but have read that they are not great performers.

1) I see the Sebring ones are much cheaper. I'm guessing there is a reason for that. Anybody use one?

2)Any others I should look at? I need heat by the way.

3)Who are some good sources?

Thanks.

JerryP
Sorry.....73 2.0 engine.
mudfoot76
Last time I looked, Pelican Parts was still selling the Bursch system. I have one on my car and I like the sound. It bolts right up to the HE's, and if you need a new exhaust bracket that attaches to the back of the tranny, send a PM to 'Engman' on this board -- he makes replicas. I have one of these too and it is great biggrin.gif

I don't know about the Sebring system, but I've heard that the Monza exhaust is more restrictive than the Bursch. Just what I've heard though, I have no baseline for comparison...
brownaar
I have a 73 2.0 with the stainless muffler from Mittelmotor in Germany. It was a bit pricier than the other options($600 shipped), but you should never need a replacement. The sound is very mellow and I had it in about 2 weeks. I don't know how exchange rates are right now, so price may be up or down.

JerryP
I wish I had 2 weeks and $600 in the muffler budget. SS would be great. drooley.gif

I found the Bursch in a few places but all seem to have "low stock" and some hefty shipping. Looks like the Bird has the best deal so far if they have it in stock.
JmuRiz
Talk to the people at Triad, I love my triad!
http://www.triadwestperformance.com/Products.htm
Aaron Cox
i have a bursch.....

But a triad is in the mail .....

nuff said biggrin.gif
JerryP
I'll check out the Triad. Thanks.
rhodyguy
dave e. needs to spend a bit more time here. 2 options on the triad for your car. with one you have to notch the valance, with the other one the passenger side pipe is angled down somewhat requiring no trimming. double check your heat exchangers to make sure they are indeed the early 2.0 type. if they have been changed, it's possible a p.o. put the 1.7/1.8 style on your car.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 24 2005, 10:46 AM)
dave e. needs to spend a bit more time here. 2 options on the triad for your car. with one you have to notch the valance, with the other one the passenger side pipe is angled down somewhat requiring no trimming. double check your heat exchangers to make sure they are indeed the early 2.0 type. if they have been changed, it's possible a p.o. put the 1.7/1.8 style on your car.

k

oooh....

i need to talk to dave then.
id like 2 notches in the valence....
rhodyguy
forget this style. nla.

k
Just checked out the Triad site,

wow that looks sweet, is that a twin outlet system with side pipes?
-pretty good deal for the money for a real custom setup....I may have to order one as well

-Adam
Ctrout
I was in contact with Dave at Triad last week about an exhaust system. Sadly, I have the 1.8 HEs and was not able to buy from hin. He is a super-nice guy and very customer oriented. Here is the thread I posted about exhaust. I had to go with a Bursch from Pelican. It is supposed to ship by the 29th which sucks but at least I'll have it (eventually).
JmuRiz
QUOTE (7391420 @ Mar 24 2005, 01:46 PM)
Just checked out the Triad site,

wow that looks sweet, is that a twin outlet system with side pipes?
-pretty good deal for the money for a real custom setup....I may have to order one as well

-Adam

FYI here is what mine looked like with some FLAPS tips (have since taken off the tips, may weld on later):
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.