Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F'N magic - awesome way to remove rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Looking for a way to clean some of the steel mold other than soda blasting found something really cool

https://www.facebook.com/therpf/videos/10153929475067243/
r_towle
Cannot see the video, is it hosted someplace normal and not Facebook?
falcor75
I Think its this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfczxBWJuNg
jd74914
Here it is on Youtube Rich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A
jd74914
Its a pretty cool video. Watching it and doing a little research, I'm surprised it's not more popular. Laser ablation works really well (a high intensity beam pretty readily removes just about anything) and is quite simple. I know some people who use it for cleaning CMAS from thermal barrier coatings.

The guy writing in the comments section on Facebook about it's working is probably correct. Their website says it's a diode pumped SS laser so it likely is a Nd-YAG. It would probably actually be pretty simple to build one of these; you might even be able to use one of those cheap Chinese diode lasers off eBay and a plane-convex lense or plane-convex/spherical lense pair from Thorlabs. You just have to be careful with any reflected radiation and wear the correct glasses. Based on the color of scatter off the metal I'm guessing this laser is operating at 355nm which is invisible but can really mess you up. Conveniently, regular Plexiglas safety glasses work pretty well.

I want to try it with my big Nd-YAG lasers at work now. laugh.gif
r_towle
Ok,
Where do I get one?
Did not see it at Home Depot, but I bet harbor freight will be selling some soon.
76-914
I'm not sure these were meant for our use. You could make a 914 disappear with one of those. wacko.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:21 AM) *

I'm not sure these were meant for our use. You could make a 914 disappear with one of those. wacko.gif

agree.gif agree.gif

Was it being used on steel or iron?
DBCooper
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:21 AM) *

You could make most 914's totally disappear with one of those. wacko.gif [fixed that for you Kent]

Yup, that's right, take away all the rust and it's possible there's nothing left.
Tom_T
While everyone on here is in love with the newest hi-tech tools & gadgets, IMHO a gallon of Evaporust & soak that part in a plastic bin of it will do the same thing in a couple of hours or over night, at probably less that 1% the cost of that sucker! dry.gif

Plus, you put it in the tub, leave it, come back later & rinse, dry & prep - while you're doing something else other than playing with your new $xx,xxx laser blaster toy!
.... and with less chance of over blasting, since Evaporust only attacks the rust, & it's enviro-friendly & disposable BTW.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
PlantMan
It would only work where you could get to the rust on a perpendicular. That machine is way to big to get into tight places. Although, it would be fun to try it on my longs!
JmuRiz
Watch where you point that thing!!!
mepstein
Our body guy is from Sweden and said they have larger units that are used on cars. Cost to do your car is about $5k but when done, it's only bare steel. No liquid or acid touches the metal. No waste products. The laser vaporizes the paint and rust.
Krieger
That is amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.