Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
Doing what most of us do and browsing Craigslist, found this and it bit hard. Someone stop me....I dont have car payments, dont have any bills, and am thinking that selling the M3 and adding this...... http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5472109711.html
Gmanscott55
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 9 2016, 07:13 AM) *

Doing what most of us do and browsing Craigslist, found this and it bit hard. Someone stop me....I dont have car payments, dont have any bills, and am thinking that selling the M3 and adding this...... http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5472109711.html

Looks nice! A little pricey, so negotiate them down. Good luck!
McMark
It's a 76...
sb914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 9 2016, 07:21 AM) *

It's a 76...

agree.gif
Bulldog9
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 9 2016, 11:21 AM) *

It's a 76...

So is my 912E (part of the geek draw). Other than the fugly rubber bumpers is the 76 914 not a good year?
KELTY360
Why do a photo shoot and not close the driver's door? Would be nice if they gave some history on the car in the ad.

I'm in that area of Seattle frequently and could take a look at the car if you want. At that price I don't think it will sell fast. PM me.
Gunn1
Looks like door jamb is a different orange, yellow perhaps?
Think door is shut just doesn't line up, thinking it's got a little bit of the "Droop"
EdwardBlume
I think you could do better with $23K.... just my opinion...
rhodyguy
A 23k 914 should be not be shod with riviera wheels. Check and see how receptive they are to removing the rockers so you can examine the longs. Then see how they react to the ice pick and after you explain it's role in finding rust. The superbly lighted pictures tell nothing. 0, nada. Knowing the engine displacement might be helpful.
Andyrew
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 9 2016, 07:58 AM) *

A 23k 914 should be not be shod with riviera wheels. Check and see how receptive they are to removing the rockers so you can examine the longs. Then see how they react to the ice pick and after you explain it's role in finding rust.

VW offset at that, not 914 offset.
audio_file
+1 on the price being high, I wish my '75's were worth 23k ea! Also available to help with taking a look if needed.
Chris
KELTY360
QUOTE(gunn1 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:56 AM) *

Think door is shut just doesn't line up, thinking it's got a little bit of the "Droop"

OK, then why do a photo shoot with a door that badly aligned on a $23k car? confused24.gif

I still think it just isn't fully shut.
Series9
Without more pictures and more information, it's difficult to put a good price on it, but my gut reaction is $9k.

TheCabinetmaker
Rear trunk lid does not close either. Broken hinge. I agree about the 9k valuation. 23,000.00 is nuts.
mepstein
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 9 2016, 02:00 PM) *

Without more pictures and more information, it's difficult to put a good price on it, but my gut reaction is $9k.

agree.gif if your going to spend big bucks for a 914, I'd want some real documentation or a comfort level that says the car is exceptional - or find a nice 6 in the engine bay.
jsaum
It's been on Craigslist for a month or more! Seems high priced, if you're serious I'm sure you could get one of us in the area to go down and pick it apart!

Jsaum
Series9

And: Big bumper cars are always worth a little less, so maybe more like $8k.
SirAndy
I would NEVER buy from a broker!

Every single Ad i have ever seen from a dealer/broker grossly misrepresented the car because there is not a single person working there that knows anything at all about 914s.

I bet if you crawl under that car and start poking with a screwdriver you'll find a few surprises ...
dry.gif
sb914
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 9 2016, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 9 2016, 11:21 AM) *

It's a 76...

So is 76 not a good year?

In cal 76 is not smog exempt, not sure what your states laws are.
Series9
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2016, 02:54 PM) *

Every single Ad i have ever seen from a dealer/broker grossly misrepresented the car because there is not a single person working there that knows anything at all about 914s.

I bet if you crawl under that car and start poking with a screwdriver you'll find a few surprises ...
dry.gif

agree.gif
rjames
This is within a few miles of my house. Life is crazy busy right now, but if I get a chance I'll try and stop by and see it. Me curious.
struckn
I tried to run the VIN Number 476290676 the add shows in our Data Base to see if we know the car. Our program says "INCORRECT VIN NOT ENOUGH NUMBER"?

idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Series9
QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 9 2016, 03:47 PM) *

I tried to run the VIN Number 476290676 the add shows in our Data Base to see if we know the car. Our program says "INCORRECT VIN NOT ENOUGH NUMBER"?

idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

It is one digit short. The missing digit is in the last three. 476290 is correct. It's the "676" that needs another number.

Unless more than 10k 914s were made in '76. There weren't, were there?

47 is the type
6 is the year
29 is Karmann
xxxxx is the number in sequence for that year.
SirAndy
Only 4100 cars for '76, which means it's probably missing a leading 0.

Most likely VIN:

shades.gif

QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 9 2016, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 9 2016, 03:47 PM) *

idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

It is one digit short. The missing digit is in the last three. 476290 is correct. It's the "676" that needs another number.

Unless more than 10k 914s were made in '76. There weren't, were there?

47 is the type
6 is the year
29 is Karmann
xxxxx is the number in sequence for that year.

Series9
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2016, 04:11 PM) *

Only 4100 cars for '76, which means it's probably missing a leading 0.

Most likely VIN:

shades.gif

But could be: 1676, 2676 or 3676.

smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 9 2016, 01:29 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2016, 04:11 PM) *
Most likely VIN:
But could be: 1676, 2676 or 3676.

Or maybe they got the numbers reversed and it's actually 676 ...
unsure.gif
turk22
Nobody went to their website? A few more pictures

http://www.ebautobrokers.com/detail-1976-p...d-14678342.html

It seems to me that some of more recently high priced cars have been pristine BUB's, but without known history it seems difficult to get into the 20's

Agree with Andy that brokers are great at making a car shiny, but they are typically hiding something.

Let's see your M3, (is it an E46?) I'd like one of those...
Bulldog9
QUOTE(turk22 @ Mar 9 2016, 08:35 PM) *

Nobody went to their website? A few more pictures

http://www.ebautobrokers.com/detail-1976-p...d-14678342.html

It seems to me that some of more recently high priced cars have been pristine BUB's, but without known history it seems difficult to get into the 20's

Agree with Andy that brokers are great at making a car shiny, but they are typically hiding something.

Let's see your M3, (is it an E46?) I'd like one of those...

M3 is IMO the best of the series, an E36. solid 9 condition Cosmos/Modena with a few upgrades. Drivers leather seat is coming apart at the seams, other than that is near perfect. Always adult driven and maintained, but driven as an M3 should be. Car is amazing.

On that 914, I did look at the website, no images of the engine compartment. Looks to be a fresh paint and restore, because everything looks pristine. The mood has passed, lol I do want a 914 some day, especially if I can find a good deal. This car is very nice but I'd never pay $22K. The car really caught my attention though.

I've got the bug and been bouncing around a bunch of ideas, but am prepping to head out on another deployment likely 12mths this time, the last two over the life of the #770 rebuild were just 2 & 3 months. I will enjoy what I have for now. I dont need anything. Will figure it out when I get back.

Depending on this next election cycle, I hope to retire in 2020, and want any cars I have to be paid off when I do. I really wanted to get a 718, wife wants it to be a 4 seater, and likes the BMW M4 or M6. Nice cars but too big, and all are WAY too much $$. I am thinking 2008+ 911 Carrera 4. Would love a newer Targa, but $$ shock.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 9 2016, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2016, 02:54 PM) *

dry.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif Yup!
rjames
Tried to look at the car today, but it was off of the lot at a repair shop to address "rough running" according to the sales guy. Hope to have a look at it next week just for fun.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 11 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Tried to look at the car today, but it was off of the lot at a repair shop to address "rough running" according to the sales guy. Hope to have a look at it next week just for fun.

Thanks look forward to your report.
rjames
Looked at this car in person. Seems very solid. Looks very original. Even the seat belt buzzer was still hooked up. Areas of concern are rust bubbling up through the paint near the jack posts on the sills. Rockers look to have never been removed. Dirt caked in around the jack post could be rusting out the longs. Hell hole looked good, but drivers side equivalent had a lot of surface rust. No visible holes, but that doesn't mean it's sound. I couldn't get in the trunk. Keyed opener has been replaced with push button opener because of the rear reflector and it wasn't working.
Front clip didn't have the holes drilled out for an oil cooler. I thought all of these came drilled out and covered with plastic plugs?

Tried driving it, but the engine wouldn't start. Finally got it to start after 10 minutes of trying with the accelerator floored, but it didn't want to keep running unless I revved it high. Engine sounded good when it was running, though. My sense was that it was probably an easy fix related to fuel delivery. (fuel pump/filter/pressure)

Underside was aggressively sprayed with undercoating, engine and trans included. It didn't look recent, so I suspect it was done at the factory but that's just a guess. It's a mess worth cleaning up. Looks like it had been leaking oil, but without a lift, who knows how bad or from where. I was told it was off the lot for 3 weeks to fix an oil leak. Interior looked very good. This looked like a very solid and straight car.
Areas of concern:
Unknown conditions of the longs
Driver's side hell hole
Front clip may have been replaced
Engine didn't run well
Still has restricted smog stuff and later exchangers. (positive if going for originality or if your state requires an emissions test)

$22k asking price is too high, IMHO, but maybe I'm out of touch. I would think $15k if the front clip has never been repaired and the longs are good. Car is on consignment, so it's what the owner is asking for. I took a bunch of pics and I have them in higher res if anyone wants to see them, PM me.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.