Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relocating the radio?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
I have been thinking about relocating my stereo. I would like to put a combo CD/Cassette player into the console area but all I find are the DIN sized units. Does anyone know of a smaller format or individual units that would fit the narrower console? confused24.gif
boxstr
Check this website, they specialize in small or hidden audio. http://www.customautosound.com/
CCLINAUDIOBLISS
Tom73
QUOTE (Michael J @ Mar 24 2005, 06:53 AM)
Does anyone know of a smaller format or individual units that would fit the narrower console?  :confused:

How about a C2 Corvette (63-67) vertical mount radio?
iiibdsiil
I saw a guy that took a head unit with a detachable face and soldered a harness to the back so he could mount the head unit in his A-pillar on his sport trac. He had the main part of the radio mounted somewhere else. I can probably pull up the thread if you are interested.
teenrookie
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Mar 24 2005, 07:48 AM)
I saw a guy that took a head unit with a detachable face and soldered a harness to the back so he could mount the head unit in his A-pillar on his sport trac. He had the main part of the radio mounted somewhere else. I can probably pull up the thread if you are interested.

smilie_pokal.gif That is a good idea! You could even mount it on the center console behind the shifter or inside the center console. I like it.
Eric_Shea
I like the "Secret Audio" idea.

With the advent of the I-POD I can't believe there isn't some type of plug-in power-amp module solution. I think it would be cool to leave the stock 1970 AM/FM Blaupunkt in the dash and have an I-POD shuffling through your tunes in the glove box. On later cars a poweramp could be hidden in that styrofoam thingy in the passengers footwell.

idea.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 24 2005, 09:22 AM)
I like the "Secret Audio" idea.

With the advent of the I-POD I can't believe there isn't some type of plug-in power-amp module solution. I think it would be cool to leave the stock 1970 AM/FM Blaupunkt in the dash and have an I-POD shuffling through your tunes in the glove box. On later cars a poweramp could be hidden in that styrofoam thingy in the passengers footwell.

idea.gif

Any amp with rca inputs could do that. The tricky part is if you want a regular radio AND an ipod. Then you either need a head unit with an aux input, a tape adapter, or a Y cable on the amp input (not a very graceful solution).
Eric_Shea
Fuch the regular radio laugh.gif
SGB
There are little low power FM transmitters out there cheap (I got one at sharper image a year ago for about $30- they are cheaper now- look at any electronics place). The mp3 player sits on the console with this do-hicky plugged into the headphone jack. I take it car to car (cept the 914 has an mp3 deck) and even broadcast through my house to various recievers.
Eric_Shea
Here's my solution for the stock radio... an RSR IROC "Radio Delete" sticker.
bondo
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 24 2005, 09:37 AM)
Here's my solution for the stock radio... an RSR IROC "Radio Delete" sticker.

Craaaazy shift pattern smile.gif
Eric_Shea
I've got one for the 914-6/GT as well. They come in both 901 and 915 patterns. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.