Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue Coil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Way back in my VW bug days, the Bosch Blue Coil was a "must have" feature.
Now that I'm doing a winter refresh on the 2.0 in my 74 914 I'm thinking I should replace the 46 year old coil. I've read where the blue coils are not what the once were (what is?).
My engine is otherwise stock. Should I use a blue coil or just buy a stock replacement.
A little extra starting help would be welcome.
Thanks,
Jack
yerpants
If you do, then plan for the new coil to be smaller in diameter and in need of a different clamp or a way to fatten it up.

Stalling your motor in a tight turn because your coil just flung itself into the fan is not very much fun.

Not that I would know.

smile.gif
914Sixer
New Beru coils are also available and probably more cost effective. As for the size difference you can use a thick piece of rubber is a spacer and vibration stop. If you have a spare rear fan mounting pad it is perfect.

$29 shipped on Ebay, several sellers
jack20
Great tips. Thanks very much.
Scott S
It's been a while, but don't you have to be careful you get one only produced in certain countries?

I thought there were some really bad blue coils floating around out there - very high failure rates. That's why I was putting the MSD high vibration coil on everything.
RohJay
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 10 2016, 03:55 AM) *

New Beru coils are also available and probably more cost effective. As for the size difference you can use a thick piece of rubber is a spacer and vibration stop. If you have a spare rear fan mounting pad it is perfect.

$29 shipped on Ebay, several sellers

+1 for Beru with piece of rubber...

FYI , I am using part number ZS 106 which I bought from UK, Part offered on ebay is ZS 172
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.