Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wimpy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
I'm finishing up the front end wiring issues on my car and the horn is very wimpy.
What is a good upgrade to buy so there is a good warning shot instead a dull moan.
Thanks Brian
Mr.Nobody
Hella makes a single and a dual air horn kit that's pretty good. Or you could go with a train horn (look on YouTube) for maximum emphasis.
Bruce Hinds
I used a set of Mercedes horns from the wrecking yard. They sound nice.
914_teener
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Mar 10 2016, 09:38 AM) *

I used a set of Mercedes horns from the wrecking yard. They sound nice.

I also have a Hella air horn.....it has proved useful on many occasions...it is definately not wimpy. Look at it as a safety upgrade.
porschetub
QUOTE(80cap @ Mar 11 2016, 04:40 AM) *

I'm finishing up the front end wiring issues on my car and the horn is very wimpy.
What is a good upgrade to buy so there is a good warning shot instead a dull moan.
Thanks Brian

Mine were missing when I got the car so I raided my mk3 VW Golf wreck in my backyard,they use a nice sealed 2 pin plug that I grafted in to the original horn loom.
Loud and cheap smile.gif

Click to view attachment
dflesburg
hella supertone twin horns are good
Tom_T
The OE 914 horn(s) should blast off as did any of the VW, Porsche & other 1970's Euro cars using Hella horns.

If your horn(s) is/are wimpy, then you either have a wiring resistance problem or the the horn(s) bad, cuz the factory horn should blast in the single (1 horn) or dual tone (2 horns) of any peeriod VW & Porsche, since they all used the same horns. Also note that old copper in the wiring builds up resistance with age due to chemical changes in it which happens on any car with age, so that adds resistance.

You might check the wiring & connections for corrosion & clean as needed, then check the horns themselves. Some folks have soaked the horns fully immersed in a tray/tub/bucket of Evaporust over 12-24+ hours to soak out interna rust - if that looks to be a problem, then let dry for a few days.

If you have the single horn, you could try to get the dual horn option used on here or other parts places for a good working set, or buy the new Hella ones as noted above - either the close to OE dual tone or up-noise options.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mark04usa
QUOTE(80cap @ Mar 10 2016, 09:40 AM) *

Thanks Brian

Try adjusting the horn... smile.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 10 2016, 10:42 AM) *

hella supertone twin horns are good

agree.gif
I installed these to....nice and loud.
ClayPerrine
I just bought some cheap, loud American car horns from FLAPS for Betty's car. She likes them because they can be heard by the rednecks in the pickup trucks.
zambezi
I am running the trumpet horns off of a 928. There is a guy on ebay selling pairs for 50.00. I like the sound, kind of exotic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.