Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aharder
I'm ready to buy a windshield from Prosource but all they have is the Green Tint and I was thinking Clear.
So, what do you have and what are the Pro and Con's for Clear or Green Tint?
confused24.gif
jsaum
My side windows are tinted so I went with the green tint so they all would match.
jkb944t
agree.gif

I am working on sourcing a green one for the same reason.

Jeff B
SA-914
Yea! I can finally answer one!! piratenanner.gif
Here's my prosource glass. Only took 2000 miles to get to me. Still sitting in my office at work.
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
80-90% of the 914s came to the USA with tinted glass (heat resistant IIRC is what the PET manual calls it in transliterated German to English).

Your in TX - IIRC it gets stinking hot there, & sunny & bright, & lotsa UV to damage the interior.

IMHO - go with tinted. shades.gif

Prosource is one source & possibly less expensive than Porsche, but the dealers still sell the clear & possibly heat resistant/tinted (it won't have the green band at the top) - but not cheap.

Go to the Porsche website, Classics tab to that area, & look up for documents on that page, select for 914, & downloads yourself a FREE pdf PET 914 factory parts manual! Great reference & did I say it was free!? smile.gif

You can get both types of 914 windshield part numbers from it, then try Suncoast (FL) or Sunset (OR) Porsche dealers for their best pricing + Shipping (they seem to have the best discounted pricing).

I have a 1980 PPG windshield with the greenband from an old insurance replacement in my 73 2L, & it served me well in Sunny SoCal & Desert Southwest back in the day, & it helped with the heat & glare. Plus my car was equipped with "Tinted All Around" option from the factory - so clear wouldn't make sense for my 914 resto.

BTW - the rear glass was never tinted from the factory, since it's shaded by the roll-bar & backsloped - ergo totally unnecessary due to it's good design thinking!

So the Prosource glass shouldn't scare you off due to the green band, but check with others on here about whether it's a proper fitment, cuz I've seen complaints on here about some of the aftermarket windshields.

If you're looking for absolute Concours CW correct - then go with the Porsche part, but realistically you won't get dinged for the other in a PCA Concours locally (maybe in Parade if a tie & they start looking for non-OE parts as a tiebreaker).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris914n6
The green tint has solar blockers (the glass, not the band). Modern cars have the green glass too, you just don't notice it as much. The side glass is most likely tinted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.