Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fifteen52 Rims For 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
gabeurgelles
Thoughts on these new rims form Magnus Walker and Fifteen52?

Click to view attachment
falcor75
QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Mar 10 2016, 08:10 PM) *

Thoughts on these new rims form Magnus Walker and Fifteen52?

Click to view attachment

Mneeeh....never liked the four spoke design....
twistedstang
I like that he tried to keep the look somewhat like the original 2 liter wheel. I'm holding back judgment for the completed project. They may look nice in the brushed gold/black combo
SirAndy
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Mar 10 2016, 11:14 AM) *
I'm holding back judgment

agree.gif

I'd like to see a complete wheel, preferably mounted on a 914 ...
idea.gif
Tom_T
Probably heavier & less strong than the OE forged aluminum Fuchs 2L wheels he's trying to look like! huh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gabeurgelles
Yeah, definitely gonna have to wait to see the finished product mounted on a 914
rgalla9146
Same thing he did to the five spoke Fuchs wheel.
Opened up the paddles...... and painted them.......gold !
pete000
If he is smart he will make them 6" wide.

I imagine they will be 16 or 17" dia...
eric9144
Looking kinda hood willis.gif

I've got to see them on a car to really know though shades.gif
RoadGlue
Hmmm, watching.

Yeah, have to see them mounted.
Well, since it has Magnus name associated with this wheel, I should by a set so I can stay current - just joking......ya I must be on drugs if I really did that. Only Factory Fuchs for me.
somd914
Will reserve final judgement until I see a completed wheel, but as is it looks too flashy and too contemporary for me...
7TPorsh
That looks unfinished to me. Very chunky and grooved. Not consistent with the other wheels they make.
Mueller
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 10 2016, 11:18 AM) *

Probably heavier & less strong than the OE forged aluminum Fuchs 2L wheels he's trying to look like! huh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Factory 2.0 Fuchs:

40+ years old
No history of use or abuse by previous owners
Only available in 15x5.5 width

^None of those attributes makes me want to ditch my wheels for a set of factory 2.0 Liter Fuchs smile.gif

I'll take a 1 to 1.5 pound hit to have something not strained or ready to fail, that and the added bonus of different widths and diameters is a huge bonus.

I doubt I could ever afford them so I'll stick with what I have....I'd be rocking his 5 lug version if I had the coin.

mepstein
Makes me think that spending $300 for a set of 5 cookie cutters was a no brainer. And I'll keep my 2.0 Fuchs on my 4 lug car.
carr914
Pass, they look like they should be on a Ricer!
wes
I'll pass mine are paid for!
Mr.Nobody
Hopefully they'll have some decent lip on them. I'll never be able to afford them though, but cool project and definitely rad that he's keeping the 4 lug.

Also I have to thank him for getting a company to make a new wheel for the car. Support seems to be non existent for 4x130, unless they are repro's.
Cracker
That could have been designed in Solidworks in an hour...or more likely less.

Tony
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 10 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Pass, they look like they should be on a Ricer!

agree.gif Even with the insets blacked out and/or painted gold barf.gif

Imho, you just can't improve on Fuchs, no matter how many holes you drill in them
Larmo63
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 10 2016, 08:38 PM) *

Tony

agree.gif

I wonder what the back looks like; those spokes are pretty thick and if the back isn't hollowed they're going to weigh a ton. They certainly don't look like something which has seen any FEA.
Mueller
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 10 2016, 05:38 PM) *

Tony

And?

Not sure why that really matters for something like this, looking at the original 2.0 Fuch I don't see a heck of a lot of "design" going on there, very simple layout. Sure the forging dies had a helluva lot more time into them for sure.

As to the FEA, nothing in the SAE papers I see mentioning that is a requirement and only a few companies actually advertise doing such work.

Click to view attachment
Cracker
To me? Because I have invested hundred of hours of design and development for mundane consumer products. When I design, I make damn sure it could not be any more refined, down to the minutest of details. It doesn't appear to be conviction of MW - how much he does could be highly debated anyhow.

The wheels look like a first pass...a starting point - not a finished product. I'll look forward to seeing your car with them - they might look better on a car. Way to flashing/Ricer for me but hey - maybe a 16 year would dig them.

T

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Tony

And?

Not sure why that really matters for something like this, looking at the original 2.0 Fuch I don't see a heck of a lot of "design" going on there, very simple layout. Sure the forging dies had a helluva lot more time into them for sure.

As to the FEA, nothing in the SAE papers I see mentioning that is a requirement and only a few companies actually advertise doing such work.

Click to view attachment
audio_file
A cautionary tale:
I follow a very talented Porsche engine builder on Instagram, cool guy who always goes the extra mile on his builds- in short, someone who's opinion on automotive related quality I would trust without question. A few months back, he purchased the 1552 "outlaw" wheels for his personal 911. He was less than blown away with the build quality of the wheels, and mentioned that he was disappointed with them on his Instagram account. Within the day, Brad from 1552 and his legal team had threatened to sue unless the comments were removed.

I will never patronize a business who cannot handle criticism from someone who invested in their product, going so far as to threaten to sue over a social media post.

I expect to hear from Brads legal team shortly rolleyes.gif finger.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 11 2016, 10:36 AM) *

Looking kinda hood willis.gif

I've got to see them on a car to really know though shades.gif

agree.gif and yuk barf.gif
Cracker
Talk about "over-reach" if that is true...

Just a thought: "Brad" may have recently graduated from one of our countries universities recently...they're indoctrinating our young folk with silencing all dissenting opinion with threats and hate speech. Geez!

T

QUOTE(audio_file @ Mar 10 2016, 11:37 PM) *

A cautionary tale:
I follow a very talented Porsche engine builder on Instagram, cool guy who always goes the extra mile on his builds- in short, someone who's opinion on automotive related quality I would trust without question. A few months back, he purchased the 1552 "outlaw" wheels for his personal 911. He was less than blown away with the build quality of the wheels, and mentioned that he was disappointed with them on his Instagram account. Within the day, Brad from 1552 and his legal team had threatened to sue unless the comments were removed.

I will never patronize a business who cannot handle criticism from someone who invested in their product, going so far as to threaten to sue over a social media post.

mepstein
Funny opinion but not really true. (About the universities)

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 11 2016, 04:48 AM) *

Talk about "over-reach" if that is true...

Just a thought: "Brad" may have recently graduated from one of our countries universities recently...they're indoctrinating our young folk with silencing all dissenting opinion with threats and hate speech. Geez!

T

A cautionary tale:

Cracker
Sadly, it is closer to being true than funny. I have a son in college and it is scary what I am hearing him report back (and his friends). Sticking ones head in the sand doesn't make problems go away...they get worse the whole time you're hiding. Our country is in real trouble...enough politics though and back to discussing mediocre wheels.

Tony

[quote name='mepstein' date='Mar 11 2016, 08:09 AM' post='2314124']
Funny opinion but not really true. (About the universities)
Larmo63

The MW wheels? Meh.
rick 918-S
For me it's not the design as it is not that different from the original. So no real effort needed there. The only plus is the possibility of getting a wheel you can actually get tires for. Except I dislike the look of skinny sidewalls and big ricer wheels. That's where the vintage appeal stops and a whole new discussion begins.
76-914
The Fuch's have a timeless design. That being said, I welcome any design (within reason) that offers a greater tire choice for the 4 bolt pattern.
sb914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 11 2016, 06:46 AM) *

The Fuch's have a timeless design. That being said, I welcome any design (within reason) that offers a greater tire choice for the 4 bolt pattern.

Four bolt patternClick to view attachment
billh1963

A cautionary tale:

Clearly you aren't worthy of buying their products. laugh.gif

Per their website they are a "lifestyle" complete with t-shirts, key chains and other lifestyle items as well as pictures of the owners posing with Magnus Walker

Unless we get the lifestyle we won't understand the wheel design... lol-2.gif
JmuRiz
Probably cost 1/2 of what I bought my car for!
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Tony

And?

Click to view attachment

After seeing those 4 lug 1552's and how they missed the design cues from the 4Lug Fuchs - I now stand up n salute the 4lugFuchs - I kinda liked 1552's 5 lugs, not so much now....
Larmo63
This is off of their website, the 3 piece "Mullett" wheel. Ugly.

Keep your 'lifestyle.'

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(audio_file @ Mar 10 2016, 09:37 PM) *

A cautionary tale:
I follow a very talented Porsche engine builder on Instagram, cool guy who always goes the extra mile on his builds- in short, someone who's opinion on automotive related quality I would trust without question. A few months back, he purchased the 1552 "outlaw" wheels for his personal 911. He was less than blown away with the build quality of the wheels, and mentioned that he was disappointed with them on his Instagram account.

They're built like any other billet wheel. I don't know what he was expecting, maybe less of a markup for Brand? People paid extra for Boyd's rims back in the day too.

Ricer... I feel the need to clarify the misuse. Rice-racer, Japanese cars built to mimic Japanese race cars. Wheels are lightweight thin spoke and often a color that stands out. NOTHING billet.
Bling would be big and chrome. Jewelery for the car.
MW makes billet wheels, commonly seen on hotrods and street rods, but colored like an 80's trend.

Given all the retro-purists on this forum, it's going to take some marketing genius to sell big budget rims.
7TPorsh
Is it possible to just enlarge the cutouts on an existing wheel? i would do that...

steuspeed
If they were 16s matte w/ polished petals I would be interested. shades.gif
PotterPorsche
Deep dish 4 lug would be a nice option.
Chris914n6
Manny: "Ok Team. What do you think will be the next trend in rims?"

Moe: "I was in Walmart the other day and all the girls clothes were fluorescent colors again this year."

Jack: "Yah, plus all the movie and TV remakes, the 80's are definitely making a comeback."

Manny: "Yah guys, I think you're right." (brief pause) "I know exactly what iconic rim we should remake!"

IPB Image
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 11 2016, 08:29 PM) *

Manny: "Ok Team. What do you think will be the next trend in rims?"

Moe: "I was in Walmart the other day and all the girls clothes were fluorescent colors again this year."

Jack: "Yah, plus all the movie and TV remakes, the 80's are definitely making a comeback."

Manny: "Yah guys, I think you're right." (brief pause) "I know exactly what iconic rim we should remake!"

IPB Image

Maneaters gayfight.gif
Mueller
Think he'd want to buy some billet hubs if someone started making them again?

Click to view attachment
RabbitStew914
I think if painted right... and with a nice offset, they might look good! Otherwise, as said previous, my fuch's are already paid for! beerchug.gif

I am looking forward to see how well they look on a 914.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 12 2016, 11:26 AM) *

Think he'd want to buy some billet hubs if someone started making them again?

Click to view attachment

GT flares and staying 4 bolt is likely the only reason one would buy these.

That said I've already gone 5 bolt and have real fuchs. sunglasses.gif
mepstein
I think the first post is partially correct when they stated - make the air cooled vw crowd happy. From the comments above, I doubt it will be much of a 914 crowd pleaser.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 12 2016, 11:48 AM) *

I think the first post is partially correct when they stated - make the air cooled vw crowd happy. From the comments above, I doubt it will be much of a 914 crowd pleaser.

Even then you need wider fenders for any rims wider than stock Fuchs.
Add to that you can already get Fuchs repops, plus a huge number of other rim choices relatively cheap.

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 12 2016, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 12 2016, 11:48 AM) *

Even then you need wider fenders for any rims wider than stock Fuchs.
Add to that you can already get Fuchs repops, plus a huge number of other rim choices relatively cheap.

True, but there will always be people willing to spend those extra dollars to have something different.

I do think we'll see them on more VW products than on 914s.
MLedesma
And pay they will. A lot of money!

For giggles I priced out the 5 lug rims in 16 x 7 with a 23 offset in RSR finish matte black and silver with center caps.

The total was.......

Almost $4000.

I didn't pay that much for any of my 914s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.