Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stags14
Going to be buying a lift. I am splitting the cost 3-ways (My Dad, my Brother-in-law, and me). I am on a fact finding mission to find something suitable at a "decent" price.

I saw the following on e-bay? Thoughts on this one:
ebay lift

Any other recommendations?

Stags

lapuwali
This has been discussed extensively. Do a search, and you'll find at least four threads on the topic.
greglepore
Bought the 10k version of that lift recently. Nice enough-frame appears to be fab'd in China, hydraulic pack is domestic. You'll need either a forklift/skidsteer or have it delivered to a terminal and pick it up w/ a trailer.

Works well, no issues. Took a day to install/wire/adjust equalizing cables. No complaints.
rhodyguy
what's the dif between the $10k model and the one listed? other than the money?

k
Gint
I had my 4 post shipped to and held at the truck depot and went there to pick it up. They loaded it via forklift on my trailer. When we got it to the house, we just unpacked it from the trailer and took the pieces into the garage. Worked well and I didn't have to have a bunch of guys (or a forklift) waiting around for a truck for a full day.
Mueller
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 24 2005, 02:40 PM)
what's the dif between the $10k model and the one listed? other than the money?

k

10K - 7K = 3K biggrin.gif

K=thousands, as in pounds for this case........

Joe Bob
I bought the Direct Lift, 1800 installed....has four posts and ramps....extra four hundred got me the ramp sliding hand pump pnuematic jack.....connects to the axles and lifts the car off the ramp.
mk114
well if you need a lift I am your man have worked for a lift company for 11 years and can give all relative info

need dims of you shop how wide how long how tall

do you need it installed

what are looking for pad lift, two post, four post
MecGen
Hi MK114
Got a question for you, what is the min ceiling requirement.? Here its @12 feet, sounds about right ?
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
914forme
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...&hl=2+post+lift

Just a short list there are about 6 of them

Clay has a really nice 2 post lift, one thing I found was that they all will leave someing out of the package - having helped install two of them from 2 different manucatures. Both where short something, a bolt or two, one was an arm??????

But check your package, and get all the pieces in place.
1bad914
I am contemplating putting one in my garage, but I have drains, the floor is slanted for the drains, would I have to build up cement pads on the low sides, if so, would it take special concrete or could I build a form and use quick-crete, probably a fiber filled condrete from the crete guy, Answered my own question. wacko.gif The price on this seemd much cheaper than I have seen before! I likey!
John
I like our two post, asymetric lift. It was bought 10 years ago and has been absolutely trouble free.

My lift, unlike the one shown on the ebay link, has nothing on the floor between the two posts. The hydraulic lines and safety latches go overhead and tie the tops of the two columns together as well as provide a shut-off if the vehicle roof nears the crossbar/ceiling.

It was $3,500.00 brand new, installed and most importantly MADE IN USA....

It's an 8,000 lb Rotary Lift. I like it very much. I've had our full sized Suburban up on it.

Now, I just need an alignment rack/lift.... biggrin.gif
mk114
most lifts require 12'1'' ( I know its wierd but 12'1") and 12 foot wide is right for space too
mk114
rotary is a good hoist I used to sell them . A good hoist sells for 2600 plus 300.00 installed (usually doesn't have electrical hook up) which just 230v single~
MecGen
Can you explain
as well as provide a shut-off if the vehicle roof nears the crossbar/ceiling.

is this an added option? I was looking just for this.
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
mk114
what I mean is mos lifts sit at12'1" (there are some that don't but 12'1" is what I looked for when installing a hoist) I have a pad lift myself ( raises to about 34") it works ok I had a alignment rack but it was to bulky (took up to much room) A good two post will do everything you need to do
greglepore
The ebay lift is available in two configurations; the normal is 12' 1, the low is something like 9'6-it has a broader footprint to compensate. The downside of the ebay lift is that the safety catches aren't integrated together, so you need to walk over to the far side of the car to release a catch before you lower.
MecGen
I thought you ment you had a sensor or a lite beam that turns off the lift when it getts too close to the ceiling
This would be cool, I am sure its out there, or can be made.
Thanks for the info
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
914werke
Are ther such things as single post lift?
mk114
yes but they are inground usually cost about 8000 to install
I have see above ground but don't trust them due to stabillity
John
Joe,

Yes. There is a bar covered with foam (pipe insulation) that will lift up and trip a limit switch if the vehicle gets close to the ceiling.

This limit switch shuts off the pump until the vehicle is lowered.

These lifts raise by running the hydraulic pump. They lower by relieving the pressure in the cylinders via a valve.

In other words, power is required only to lift the vehicle.

Hope this explains it. If not, ask me some more.

BTW, My ceiling is 12'-0". My Rotary lift can also be set up for short ceilings (10'-0") or even lower. The installer told me he had one in his house garage with a ceiling height of 9'-0". My work bay was laid out as 25 ft long and 13 ft wide. The concrete in this area is thicker than the rest of the floor and is heavily reinforced. (10-12" thick) The installer had trouble drilling all the way through it.

John
RAR
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Mar 31 2005, 05:04 PM)
Are ther such things as single post lift?

http://www.nordlift.fi/dh2500frameeng.html
mk114
where is you fulcrum point what keeps it up this a very dangerous lift Here in Salt Lake we had death from something simialar late last year because the mechanic tried to move it with a car on it

I would be very wary of the claims this makes
John
Before anyone says this thread is useless without pics. Here is an old pic of my Rotary Asymmetrical Two post lift. (and car)
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Mar 31 2005, 09:15 PM)
Before anyone says this thread is useless without pics. Here is an old pic of my Rotary Asymmetrical Two post lift.

Exactly what I've got in my shop
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.