Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT dash faces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Does anybody know what the 914-6 GT dash faces were covered in?

user posted image

Was it perlon?

And does anybody know a source for it?
Root_Werks
Lots of sharp edges? confused24.gif Drivers reaching for things like switches ect could catch thier hands on spot welds, metal edges? So they just covered them in a simple soft felt? I dunno? confused24.gif
bjorn jacobson
Hi Carl,

9xauto has a product they describe as adhesive backed felt. Looks like it would work for a GT type interior carpet. The price is 3.50 a square foot, sounds a little pricey, but if it is decent product it may be worth the dough.
I have another source but can't find details at this time. It is basically felt cloth sold in 10x10 foot rolls. It is cheap, like 20.00 plus shipping.
I'll look around and try to find the company name.

BJ
Qarl
I can find felt all day long...

I need the stuff in the picture!

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Qarl @ Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM)
Does anybody know what the 914-6 GT dash faces were covered in?

Was it perlon?

And does anybody know a source for it?

real GT's had truck lid latches with keylocks, and headlight switches ? i don't think so...

that does look like Perlon, tho. i'll hafta go look for my "911 and Porsche world" article on the Sonauto Le Mans car. i wouldda guessed "paint" in answer to your original question...

i found a bunch of charcoal grey polyester fabric in the guise of small blankets at the Bed, Bath & Beyond, and i bought a few of those to use in my RS-esque car.

but AppBiz.com (the guys who make the RS interior door panels) also make RS interiors of grey Perlon, and such a kit got good reviews on the 911 list this morning.

here's a link to a car with one of their interior kits, including the 'rear seat delete' kit...
GreatPumpkinRacing
Click on "Stories"
Click on "Custom Cage Installation"
Proceed to page 3 (links to next-page at bottom of each page).
Qarl
ArtechnikA..

The photo is of the Daytona winning 914-6 GT

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/daytona_winning_9146_gt

So... you better start thinking so...

bjorn jacobson
Actually ArtechnikA that is the Daytona winning GT.
Qarl
I've e-mailed Appbiz and 9xauto for samples.

Thanks,

Qarl
TravisNeff
it may be racecar specific and period correct. but it looks like barf.gif
JmuRiz
Looks like the same stuff the headliner for the Targa is covered in. Not sure what it's called, but you could get an OEM pannel of that and have plenty for many dashes.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Mar 24 2005, 04:41 PM)
Looks like the same stuff the headliner for the Targa is covered in. Not sure what it's called, but you could get an OEM pannel of that and have plenty for many dashes.

that'd be 914.563.321.11 for a pre-'74.
doesn't show in a search at Stoddard but Pelican shows it as an OEM part for $35.
Series9
I did mine in felt and it looks like this:

(did I mention that I love felt)
TravisNeff
I still feel like snotty boogers are going to stick to the fabric too easy, flick towards the window!
Bleyseng
Fuzzy Felt, Qarl.....then you can stick Hunter's felt toys on the dash.

Geoff biggrin.gif
Scott S
Any auto upohlstery place can get you the exact material. I think I paid under $2 per yard for it.

jgiroux67
914rs,
What shifter is that in your car?
Series9
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Mar 24 2005, 05:20 PM)
914rs,
What shifter is that in your car?

A 'for sale shifter'. I ordered a Wevo 915 shifter today. Pictures to follow.
Eric_Shea
Felt Qarl... just felt. confused24.gif

There's probably a hundred different kinds of felt but if you're not building an exact GT knock off then me thinks it wouldn't be cost effective to go for anything other than the close ones the upholstery shops offer. Try Autos International. They seem to have a handle on this stuff. Better yet... James (morphenspectra) can probably get something for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.