Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bearing questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Starting to assemble my 2056. I'm installing Mahle main bearings. My first concern is the center main (split). Even after tapping the center with a block of wood and a hammer to seat it, the edges protrude about .010" on both case halves. Is this normal? Are they designed like that so they "draw down" when the case halves are torqued together?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The other thing I wanted to check on is the Kolbenschmidt cam bearings. I compared the size to the original bearings and found that the set for the center cam journal is .190 narrower than stock. Is this just how they make them now?

Click to view attachment

Thanks!

Mike Bellis
Look like the wrong bearings to me.
Mark Henry
Main bearing that's normal.
It's called pre-loading, the preload squares the bearing in the saddle and makes it round, it also locks it in and helps prevent shuffling. Part of the importance of proper torque values, as the bearing is engineered to deform to the correct tolerance when torque is applied.

Cam bearing, normal it's actually cheaping out to make all the shells the same size to make production cheaper. Personally the highest wear I've seen is on the thrust bearing, that's why I build engines with 2 thrust bearings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.