Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How bad is that?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Upon changing the oil on my gear box, i noticed these two pieces stuck at the magnetized bolt. oil is clean.

I am not sure if it is gear or bearing

No issues with the unit, only harder to shift when cold.

boxsterfan
I've never had a piece that big come off in mine. However, I don't know how good or bad this is. Someone else will chime in.

If I had to say anything about it though is that if it still shift and drives then drive it. When it breaks it'll break and you can have it rebuilt then.
76-914
Here's your sign. Whatever it was I'd pull it and find out before it gets expensive.
Cracker
If its "only half the size of a penny" you're ok...

Seriously, pull it before it becomes a MAJOR repair.

T
infraredcalvin
Agreed, fine shavings are normal, chunks like that are bad news...
sjhenry1075
Better to pull it now then to find yourself stranded on the side of the road..
Perry Kiehl Clone
Tear it down or replace the engine before it gets really bad, because it's going to.
Cracker
On second thought...seeing you're in NYC - don't go out again without addressing this - you could wind up in the Hudson River if it left you stranded! The chop-shops wouldn't know what to do with a 914 either... blink.gif

T
cwpeden
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Mar 14 2016, 05:35 AM) *

Tear it down or replace the engine before it gets really bad, because it's going to.

It was in his trans... popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
Pull it.
Mark Henry
Look up member DrEvil, even if you're a DIY guy he has ton of trans rebuild notes in his signature and sells a rebuild DVD. If you are not a DIY guy he's a cool cat to send your tranny to.

If you are DIY'er start looking for a 2nd transmission core, often you can make one good transmission out of two cores. Saves a boatload of coin on parts.

BTW my money is on the pinon bearing cage is letting go.
914itis
I have a few spare boxes and some gears, bearing etc that I pulled out of a tail shift .
I also have a side shift here that I don't have a history of . I have the good D R video that I never watch , it's somewhere here, I have to dig it . I would like to take a pic at the spare one sitting here , change all the seals and throw it I there for now .
I have to make it to Hershey .
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 14 2016, 10:45 AM) *

I have a few spare boxes and some gears, bearing etc that I pulled out of a tail shift .
I also have a side shift here that I don't have a history of . I have the good D R video that I never watch , it's somewhere here, I have to dig it . I would like to take a pic at the spare one sitting here , change all the seals and throw it I there for now .
I have to make it to Hershey .

Hey Paul
Don't know how I missed this.
You have to deal with this before any travel.
You should do an inventory of your gearboxes and choose one after looking at the drain plugs of each box.
Not too hard to change a trans even if only to determine good or bad.
Rory
914itis
Hi Rory ,

I did just that , I pulled it out and will be installing the new (inspected ) one Friday.

Thanks
Valy
That is not good news. Regardless of what was the origin, there will be more coming your way.
Something gave up but the problem is that those pices travel inside the case and get between your gears and make friends. It's like an atomic reaction: every pice is amplifying the problem.
You can flush the box to make sure everything loose comes out and it will run longer but the bomb is still there waiting to explode.
914itis
Trany is out , waiting for parts (seals) from pelican to put up the new one
914itis
New Transmission is in , it shifts smooth look like I will be making it to Hershey with the teener.

Note for six conversions:
If you are doing a six conversion , please shave your starter as shown in the pic ou you will have to drop the engine for a simple starter replacement.

PanelBilly
Why did you shave the starter?
914itis
There is no way to get a socket or any tool in there to remove it with the motor . installed .
messix
didnt know that on a six
zambezi
I thought the starter was supposed to "capture" the head of the bolt so you can undo the nut from the engine side.
914itis
No nut in the engine side on the six, the hole is threaded .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.