Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aerodynamic Aids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I work at the University of California San Diego (UCSD) in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) department. I'm sponsoring a student project to look at the aerodynamics of the 914 with different front and rear spoilers. I want to now if they are beneficial in Autocrossing. I have a couple front and rear spoilers but was wondering if someone had others we could possibly borrow.

http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/m...ynamic_aids.htm

http://www.mae.ucsd.edu/mae171b/index.html#available
eeyore
I have a wedge-type spoiler (2 really) you can borrow. I don't think I have any air-dam like things. I'll have to rummage through my extensive collection of valence type junk.

See you at the AX Sat?
chris914
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Mar 24 2005, 03:22 PM)
I have a wedge-type spoiler (2 really) you can borrow. I don't think I have any air-dam like things. I'll have to rummage through my extensive collection of valence type junk.

See you at the AX Sat?

Yes I will be there. Thanks!
TravisNeff
those all look like neat projects!
bondo
I would think at AX speeds there would be little benefit.. but I could be wrong.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 24 2005, 04:57 PM)
I would think at AX speeds there would be little benefit

agree.gif where you need the downforce the most (in the turns) you're way too slow to make a difference and on the few longer straights you don't get up to speeds (above 110 mph) where the car could start to float ...

it'll be interesting to see your test results tho!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
chris914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 24 2005, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 24 2005, 04:57 PM)
I would think at AX speeds there would be little benefit

agree.gif where you need the downforce the most (in the turns) you're way too slow to make a difference and on the few longer straights you don't get up to speeds (above 110 mph) where the car could start to float ...

it'll be interesting to see your test results tho!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

I'm also looking at reducing any amount of wing drag to see if there are any benefits there.
Jeroen
while you're testing...
I'm wondering if a little Gurney flap at the rear of the roof would help to get some more airflow over the engine lid

you should try and get one of those adjustable rear "duck tail" spoilers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.