Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lost my lease.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TheCabinetmaker
My landlord came by last Friday to tell me I have to sign a new lease and they will raise rent from 750 to 1000. Being semi retired for the last five years, and figuring the cost of moving and the time involved, I've decided to go into full retirement. I have a shop full of cabinet making equipment and tons of 914 parts,10 parts cars (some with drive trains), and a 2 post lift. I will be liquidating almost everything. I do not have time or the desire to box and ship parts or dismantle cars. If your in driving distance, there will be some good deals. I have two weeks of work to finish my last kitchen after 45 years. After that, it all must go. By May first, what is not gone will be trashed for scrap metal.

Please, no pms. Contact me by email thru 914 world.
JawjaPorsche
Enjoy your well deserved full retirement.
Big Len
I'm not sure whether to say congrats or I'm sorry. Whatever you do, don't leave the site.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 14 2016, 06:34 AM) *

I'm not sure whether to say congrats or I'm sorry. Whatever you do, don't leave the site.

It is a bitter sweet kinda thing, and I'm sure it will be for the better in the long run. I always thought that working keeps me alive, but I've discovered it might be killing me instead. Retirement will mean more quality 914 time. I will never sell my 914, or leave this place. I've got plenty of grandkids that will be happy to drive me around when I can't drive myself anymore.
Shadowfax
Sorry to hear, Curt.
BeatNavy
When life gives you lemons and all that....

Good luck on the transition, Curt. It sounds like you'll have plenty to keep you busy with the things that deserve your attention - family and 914's.
bretth
33% rent increase is BS. Sounds like landlord doesn't deserve your money.

Brett
Cracker
Ditto. I know its a 33% increase in rent but if you run a reasonably strong business (custom wood works) its nothing that can't be absorbed. If you do indeed retire...embrace it fully and enjoy!

Tony

QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 14 2016, 06:34 AM) *

Cairo94507
Sorry to hear your hand is being forced by others. There are likely tons of custom cabinet guys who would love an experienced part time expert to assist them in their business. That keeps you working as little or as much as you like and keeps some 914 money rolling in too. Best wishes regardless.
JOEPROPER
Wow, Only 6 weeks notice. I know the feeling. I know a lot of people who say retirement is such a busy time in life, they didn't know how they had time to work. Good luck with the retired life! Make the most of it!
EdwardBlume
The general key to a happy life is: 1) work to do, 2) someone to love, and 3) a clear conscious.

You'll be just fine on the road ahead.

Locals please give Curt a hand...
Mark Henry
Curt so sorry to read this, I know all to well that cabinetmakers are at the mercy of rent.
Can you find something smaller and do a massive purge?
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 14 2016, 09:09 AM) *

Curt so sorry to read this, I know all to well that cabinetmakers are at the mercy of rent.
Can you find something smaller and do a massive purge?

Or sub out half of your space...
76-914
I wish I lived closer to you. You TX boy's need to hot foot it up to Curt's Treasure Trove. Good luck, Curt. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 14 2016, 02:25 AM) *

My landlord came by last Friday to tell me I have to sign a new lease and they will raise rent from 750 to 1000. Being semi retired for the last five years, and figuring the cost of moving and the time involved, I've decided to go into full retirement. I have a shop full of cabinet making equipment and tons of 914 parts,10 parts cars (some with drive trains), and a 2 post lift. I will be liquidating almost everything. I do not have time or the desire to box and ship parts or dismantle cars. If your in driving distance, there will be some good deals. I have two weeks of work to finish my last kitchen after 45 years. After that, it all must go. By May first, what is not gone will be trashed for scrap metal.

I'm an amateur wood and metal worker. I don't know how I would feel without a table saw. I hope to be in the area in a 914 come late April, but that isn't gonna help. I am sorry to hear about this, and echo - please stay around.
GaroldShaffer
sad.gif sorry to hear this. Sadly this is not to uncommon now days. Wishing you the best with your transition.
Tom_T
Sorry to hear that Curt, but you deserve retirement, so maybe someone upstairs is helping you along.

I may be able to give you a hand moving anything you're keeping over to your house, when I'm back there at the end of April. I don't know yet which day I can set aside of the Friday or Monday until I get my flights & schedule figured out, but text, call or email me if you want the help.

And then of course, there will at least be our traditional meal of BBQ or whatever! chowtime.gif

Best! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Valy
Happy retirement!
jack20
Curt,
I wish you a long retirement in good health. Looking forward to reading even more of your posts in the future. Thanks for your help with some hard to find parts in the past.
Jack
theleschyouknow
sorry to hear that curt but I wish you a long and happy retirement
looks like I'm gonna have to head to oklahoma soon

beerchug.gif
cjl
ThePaintedMan
Sorry to hear it as well Curt - you are for sure one of "the good guys." I've appreciated all the advice you've given me along the way. Hopefully, as you said, this only frees up more of your time so you can get some 914 driving.gif in!

Wish you were closer - if you had a decent roller, I'd certainly be over there to find it a home for you.
JRust
Best of luck Curt. Full retirement means you get to build a shop at home. Or maybe you need to find a new home with a shop evilgrin.gif . LOL! Enjoy retirement bud. Take it easy & drive your 914. I'd still recommend a shop at home to keep yourself busy
r_towle
Sorry about the sudden change, it may be a great the for you.

If you want to sell off all your 914 stuff in one transaction, Adam from unobtainium may be someone to ask, he does buy in bulk.

Rich
TheCabinetmaker
I think you nailed it Tom. Much soul searching and prayers have led to this decision. It's another chapter in life. I'm ready for it. I will definitely have a small shop, and some 914 storage at my house. The boat house in the back yard just needs one wall and a door to be weather tight. Maybe I'll become the traveling 914 mechanic.
whitetwinturbo
..........time to find a barn or warehouse!
beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
jor
Although the circumstances aren't ideal, please remember that retirement is the goal. Congratulations and Enjoy!
stugray
Sorry to hear!

Maybe we can arrange a caravan from NOR-CO to Tulsa for a parts collection?

I would be interested in a SS trans for spare parts.
I might even consider donating a tow vehicle and a car hauler for the effort.

Brant? Gint? Ferg? rnellums?
Elliot Cannon
I've been retired 10 years now (time flies when etc.) biggrin.gif The key here is to stay busy. If you sit around and do nothing, you won't last long. Keep fit physically, stay sharp mentally. Stay busy and above all enjoy yourself. Good luck.
Elliot
brant
Wow...
I'm excited for you!
sorry the next months will be so much work to transition
but it will be worth it...
great years ahead!
Amphicar770
Remember what they say

Retirement = Half the Income, Twice the Spouse lol-2.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 14 2016, 12:40 PM) *

I think you nailed it Tom. Much soul searching and prayers have led to this decision. It's another chapter in life. I'm ready for it. I will definitely have a small shop, and some 914 storage at my house. The boat house in the back yard just needs one wall and a door to be weather tight. Maybe I'll become the traveling 914 mechanic.

Good for you Curt as long as you're good with it. Good luck and enjoy. BTW there IS a traveling VW mechanic, so you may have a great idea there...

Itinerant Air Cooled

I'm sure people here have probably heard of Colin. Watching his updates is extremely addictive. He drives all over the US fixing (or teaching others to fix...) bay window buses with the occasional beetle, ghia, squareback, etc. Why not a 914 guy?
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 14 2016, 09:40 AM) *

Now that you're single again, you can be "Have Tool, will travel" Curt! laugh.gif

Get the wall/door on the boat shed for your spares! smash.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
There are several incidents in my town where the landlord raise the rent and the business moved out or closed and no one else has occupy the building. Greedy bastards got what they deserved.
RazorbackFan78
Curt I think "Independent 914 Consultant" has a real nice ring to it! beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 14 2016, 02:39 PM) *

Now that you're single again, you can be "Have Tool, will travel" Curt! laugh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Traveling tool?
914Sixer
Retirement can be FUN! I am working on my 3rd retirement now. Got sucked back into working about 5 years ago. Never a dull moment. Going to try to make it to 70 for the FINAL retirement.
IanS
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 14 2016, 05:25 AM) *

Hey Curt,
I know you said no PMs and to use email emails but your email is listed as private in your profile.
Not sure how to get ahold of you but I'm down the road from you and would love to come by sometime.
I'm laid off and would love an excuse to motorcycle down Route 66 for a visit!
flyer86d
There are moments in life that require a status check. They appear in different ways. A bout with cancer was the reality check for me. On the first Friday of last November, there were two fellows standing in the parking lot of my shop as I pulled in. When I got out, one said that they would like to buy it. Knock me over with a feather. The offer was good, we closed 6 weeks later.

I am healthy and I am moving on. I an replacing the clutch and IMS bearing in the Boxster and then on to the 68 911 project and other things. All is good thus far and I live each day. Every thing happens for a reason. Make the best of it!

Charlie
jim_hoyland
Curt, there are a lot of of that can benefit from your experience and common sense. Go mobile, have some fun, and be sure to make it to Rouute 66 this year
And, thanks for your help over the years
rnellums
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 14 2016, 11:09 AM) *

Sorry to hear!

Maybe we can arrange a caravan from NOR-CO to Tulsa for a parts collection?

I would be interested in a SS trans for spare parts.
I might even consider donating a tow vehicle and a car hauler for the effort.

Brant? Gint? Ferg? rnellums?

I'm up for a cruise!
Tom_T
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 14 2016, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 14 2016, 02:39 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Traveling tool?

Tool at LARGE??

laugh.gif
7TPorsh
Walk softly and carry a big tool! biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Hey! You guys calling me a tool? Which ex you been talking to?

I've been taking some inventory on what I have and working on a list.I'll try to get it posted this weekend. It won't be a complete list as there is just to much small stuff.
Big Len
Talked to all 6 of them.
r_towle
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 16 2016, 07:03 PM) *

Talked to all 6 of them.

"talked"
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 16 2016, 02:54 PM) *

Hey! You guys calling me a tool? Which ex you been talking to?

Obviously only the satisfied ones Curt! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 16 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Talked to all 6 of them.

Ha ha! That's scary close!!!!!!!!
TheCabinetmaker
Here's a short list of what I have. All must go.

All items are 73 and after
Doors and windows
Front and rear trunk lids
Engine lids and grills.
Lights
Targa tops
Early and late bumpers
Engine internals
Heads and parts
Brake calipers
Flywheels
Injection parts
Electrical
Fuel tanks
Seat cores
Interior trim
Exterior trim
Parts cars
TheCabinetmaker
I can ship some parts but I can't till after may first. I can move the items home till shipping, but just don't have time to pack and ship this month. Just too much stuff.
rnellums
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 5 2016, 04:56 AM) *

Here's a short list of what I have. All must go.

All items are 73 and after
Doors and windows
Front and rear trunk lids
Engine lids and grills.
Lights
Targa tops
Early and late bumpers
Engine internals
Heads and parts
Brake calipers
Flywheels
Injection parts
Electrical
Fuel tanks
Seat cores
Interior trim
Exterior trim
Parts cars

Id like a fuel tank and a pair of straight-ish bumpers myself!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.