Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No such thing as rust free
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Hey everyone,

So I put the car up on jackstands and started pulling things apart to check for rust. I pulled off the rocker panels and low and behold.. The pictures I've included are of the passenger side (of course). My question is, would this require a complete longitudinal replacement? I'm not trying to just patch the car together, I ask because there's really no rust around that area. Of course I do not know unless I really start pulling off panels, but there's none on the floor board under the carpet, none on the underside of the car. I've poked around with a screwdriver and haven't found any weak areas around the existing holes. Do you think I could clean the areas up and have patches welded in? There's no body flex. I'm 6' 7 285 lbs and can sit in the car with the top off open the door, wind up the window and it shuts fine. I don't know, what do you think? Honestly, I just want to drive it!
914time
Ah, I'd probably stop looking for rust (it's there). Put the panels back on and simply enjoy it!
SirAndy
How good are you with a welder? idea.gif

RD has all the metal pieces you need to fix this properly but to do it right, you need some experience in automotive welding.

What you can see on the surface is usually only 20% of what's actually there, so keep digging.

The thread below will give you an idea of what's ahead:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2016, 01:32 PM) *

RD has all the metal pieces you need to fix this properly but to do it right, you need some experience in automotive welding.

What you can see on the surface is usually only 20% of what's actually there, so keep digging.

I really hope that isn't the case. Is there anyway to remove all the body panels without cutting?
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Mar 14 2016, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2016, 01:32 PM) *

I really hope that isn't the case. Is there anyway to remove all the body panels without cutting?

I can't weld. I picked up a disability while I was in the Marines that causes wicked tremors in my hands. From what I understand you need a pretty steady hand to weld...
billh1963

Nope...

That being said, Andy was not implying that you should start cutting off body panels.

An ice pick and flashlight will tell you a lot.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 14 2016, 02:43 PM) *

Nope...

That being said, Andy was not implying that you should start cutting off body panels.

I'll try that out tonight.. I appreciate the advice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 14 2016, 11:43 AM) *

agree.gif
Don't start cutting unless you intend to fix and weld!

But you really need to get in there and start poking around with a large screwdriver. Don't be shy, you won't hurt the good metal.

Get some good lighting and take some more pictures of the long and the underside and post them here.
idea.gif
rjames
QUOTE(914time @ Mar 14 2016, 07:52 AM) *

Ah, I'd probably stop looking for rust (it's there). Put the panels back on and simply enjoy it!

Horrible advice. It's not going to be very enjoyable if it folds in half.

Although it sounds like you've done some basic 'stress testing', definitely evaluate and repaired any structural issues. Rust only gets worse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.