Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying a house!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
got hitched and now we're buying a house. been shopping for 5 months, finaly found one i like (house, that is) made offer, and they accepted.

im happy wub.gif
lagunero
congrats smilie_pokal.gif now sit back and endure the pain laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Mr. Dover.....Mr. BEN Dover, please answer the white courtesy phone.....

You will never appreciate child birth until living thru an escrow.....
Allan
That's great. Let us know when escrow closes and we'll come over and work on our cars. biggrin.gif
opera guy
50% down, 50% loan, 750+ pt credit score... rather painless so far wink.gif

Rhodes71/914
Congrats on finding a house.

Wish somebody would buy my house!

You will never appreciate child birth until living thur an escrow.....

Should go smooth if it is a straight forward transaction.

Used to do marketing for a Title/Escrow Co.

Not sure about where you are but here escrow fees are negotiable, not title fees cause that is basicaly insurance and state regulated. Most people don't know that if they ask for a reduced escrow fee they will get it. The escrow co. wants repeat customers and good referals.
Mrs. K
QUOTE (opera guy @ Mar 24 2005, 04:11 PM)
50% down, 50% loan, 750+ pt credit score... rather painless so far wink.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Congrats! That does sound rather painless....just wait till ya need a new roof or something ohmy.gif
Seriously, good luck and enjoy!

Lisa rolleyes.gif
JoeSharp
Gosh! smilie_pokal.gif Good Luck. Where did you end up? In another 10 years you'll be able to afford REAL toys.
biggrin.gif
opera guy
still in upland, ca. home inspection tomorrow, we'll see about that roof, lisa. the real estate market down here is just goin thru the roofs. we dont have a football team in so cal, but we have real estate.
Qarl
Alright!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Congratulations! If you think 914's require buckets o cash, you ain't seen nothin yet. You just got married and bought a house!
JB 914
QUOTE (opera guy @ Mar 24 2005, 05:23 PM)
we dont have a football team in so cal, but we have real estate.

Yep. When people ask me how far i am from the beach i tell them "about $400,000"

Congrats. See you at HomeDepot laugh.gif
Mueller
50% down???

damn, that would pay off my house knowing the values of the homes down there biggrin.gif

congrats......

our 1st home buying experiance sucked, the realtor was a total dip$hit, it's amazing he is still in business, but most homes sell without much help needed....
JoeSharp
Its nice tha t you are still in town. wink.gif Most folks can't afford anything this side of the state line. laugh.gif I'm a little colser to the beach than Joe Buckle. I bought my house in 1980 for $90K, Last summer the house next door sold for $690K
biggrin.gif Joe
Mueller
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 24 2005, 08:09 PM)
Its nice tha t you are still in town. wink.gif Most folks can't afford anything this side of the state line. laugh.gif I'm a little colser to the beach than Joe Buckle. I bought my house in 1980 for $90K, Last summer the house next door sold for $690K
biggrin.gif Joe

we paid $170K 6 years ago..... right around the corner a house just went for $620K+, on the market for 2 days and it has no improvements and needs work....I have no idea where these people are getting the money or working, there are no jobs near us that I know of wacko.gif
Lou W
I handled a refi on a house in San Diego 3 months ago, 780 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath (originally had an out house) built in 1898, no garage, small lot next to the freeway. $480,000.00. Its amazing. huh.gif
CptTripps
Congrats! First houses are exciting and scarry at the same time.

Our first house we lucked out and bought in an area that went up in value faster than we expected. 4yrs later, we sold for 50% more than we paid. Made about 80K, and put it into our next place. Hope you have the same luck!

But the first time the toilet brakes at 11:30 and there is no 'landlord' to call, you'll know why people are giving you crap. biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 24 2005, 08:21 PM)
I handled a refi on a house in San Diego 3 months ago, 780 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath (originally had an out house) built in 1898, no garage, small lot next to the freeway. $480,000.00. Its amazing. huh.gif

we bought 2 1100 sq ft homes in Louisiana a few years ago....$28K for both...mortgage is $250 a month......people just don't want to buy down there and would rather rent...it's insane wacko.gif
Lou W
Mueller   Posted on Mar 24 2005, 07:26 PM

we bought 2 1100 sq ft homes in Louisiana a few years ago....$28K for both...mortgage is $250 a month......people just don't want to buy down there and would rather rent...it's insane wacko.gif

What kind of rent can you get there?
redshift
Good for you!

I gave up!

smile.gif

M
redshift
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 24 2005, 11:26 PM)
people just don't want to buy down there and would rather rent...it's insane wacko.gif

There is nothing wrong with CHOOSING to rent, it's a lifestyle decision.

I get alot out of not owning, where I live. The rents have not followed the property values/prices here, so I pay less than 1%, way less.

smile.gif

It's not so bad..

M
Qarl
If only you could LIVE in a mandolin!

Lou W
Miles, What area of the country do you live?
Mueller
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 24 2005, 08:32 PM)

600+ a month (each)....we've put a lot of money into the homes, they are damn near nicer than the brand new Habitat homes...our tenants totally dig us and and we show our appreciation by making sure they have a nice place to live....other landlords is same area talk cr@p about us since we actually care about our people...
Lou W
Mueller   Posted on Mar 24 2005, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 24 2005, 08:32 PM)

600+ a month (each)....we've put a lot of money into the homes, they are damn near nicer than the brand new Habitat homes...our tenants totally dig us and and we show our appreciation by making sure they have a nice place to live....other landlords is same area talk cr@p about us since we actually care about our people...

Thats great, good retirement income, do you use a local property manager?
Mueller
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 24 2005, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 24 2005, 11:26 PM)
people just don't want to buy down there and would rather rent...it's insane  :wacko:

There is nothing wrong with CHOOSING to rent, it's a lifestyle decision.

I get alot out of not owning, where I live. The rents have not followed the property values/prices here, so I pay less than 1%, way less.

smile.gif

It's not so bad..

M

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to be negative at all, I know some people choose to rent or have to, I don't judge other peoples decisions or choices.....

down there, some of the people on gov. assisted housing have the chance to buy a house dirt, dirt cheap...some do, some don't...some that do end up loosing the house 'cause they don't take ownership seriously....
Mueller

it comes in handy right now, my wife works part time smile.gif

we have a few people we can call depending on the job...we normally take time off from work, drive 2200 miles (one way, take 2.5 days) and stay down there for a week to 2 weeks to do repairs/improvements.....we put 20K and 3 weeks of labor into one home when we first bought them.....tons of unemployment down there, we paid a few locals up to $10 an hour cash and half of them only wanted to work a few hours or days...this money comes out of my pocket headbang.gif

Lou W
Mueller   Posted on Mar 24 2005, 07:49 PM

we have a few people we can call depending on the job...we normally take time off from work, drive 2200 miles (one way, take 2.5 days) and stay down there for a week to 2 weeks to do repairs/improvements.....we put 20K and 3 weeks of labor into one home when we first bought them.....tons of unemployment down there, we paid a few locals up to $10 an hour cash and half of them only wanted to work a few hours or days...this money comes out of my pocket headbang.gif

That sounds like a good idea, houses in California have gotten so expense that you have to put alot of money down on them in order to break even on rent. Sometimes I think that if we could hang tight for a few more years, cashout and move elsewhere, buy a number of rentals, you could use that as additional income.
Mueller
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 24 2005, 08:56 PM)
Mueller   Posted on Mar 24 2005, 07:49 PM

That sounds like a good idea, houses in California have gotten so expense that you have to put alot of money down on them in order to break even on rent. Sometimes I think that if we could hang tight for a few more years, cashout and move elsewhere, buy a number of rentals, you could use that as additional income.

we sold our local rental house last year...nice 2400 sq ft Victorian style home.....had a hard time finding tenants since people are buying brand new homes in our area and renting them out...it's insane, $500K home and they rent it out...they "have" to be taking a loss or put down a huge amount of down payment....it's kinda sad if you think about how much our current house is worth, the increased value does me no good until I decide to sell and then I couldn't afford a bigger house (nor do I need one) unless we moved out of state.....
opera guy
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 24 2005, 07:21 PM)

value is in the land?
machina
its got a garage, right? smash.gif

guys like us don't look for a house with a garage attached, we look for a garage with a house attached. biggrin.gif
opera guy
yeah dude, garage comes with detatched house. see pic
rhodyguy
a 30 day closing is a great thing. it was a condition when we bought our house. what's a house like that go for in upland?

k
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 24 2005, 07:56 PM)

The area that I live in is one of the areas that Californians are moving when they do what you described.

I work for a builder that is building affordable homes. Californians are selling their houses in Cali and moving here buying a nice home for themselves and a couple of rental properties for what they sold one houlse for in Cali.

Real estate values are going up an average of 20% a year that last 5 years or so.

I can't take it. Moved here to be closer to family but with the increase in population and all the Meth problems this state has I'm heading back to the last frontier and I can't wait.
Rhodes71/914
How fitting that I would make that earlier post and somebody makes an acceptable offer on my house. And their moving up from California laugh.gif

To say the least I am excited mueba.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (opera guy @ Mar 26 2005, 11:56 AM)
yeah dude, garage comes with detatched house. see pic

nice looking house !!!!

is the curb painted red in front of the house??? that has got to suck.....do you know way or did the current owners do it to discourage parking by the neighbors (I've known people to do that, illegal, at least once you get caught it is smile.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.