Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: how to test a wiper relay, vw cabrio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So my daughters 1999 vw cabrio had the wipers stop working while driving back to school.
So, the car is not here, it's 3 hours away, with an EE student.

She has a meter, not much else.
There is a trusted vw shop up the street if it come to that.

She checked the fuse, it is fine.
I need to get her to test the relay and I have no clue how to do that without it in my hand.

Does anyone know how to test a multi speed wiper relay?

Also, if we can determine with a jumper in place of the relay, if the motor works or if the motor is bad, that would be an even simpler way to test the relay.....by proving the motor works.

Rich
r_towle
Specific question for you electrical guys.

How do you bench test this relay?
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2016, 09:33 AM) *

Not real easy ,are you sure the wiper switch on the column hasn't crapped itself,thinking 1999 convertible is a mk3 golf platform right?,the switches on these do die.
A jumper cable will be #30 to 86 or 87 sorry but the memory isn't what it was sad.gif .
Buy a new relay it should be numbered ,not expensive but may be specific to this model golf choose carefully,best thing to try first,cheers.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 14 2016, 12:33 PM) *

I don't think that is the delay wiper repay. The one from my Passat donor car is twice that size.

Might not be the right color codes but here is my relay.

Click to view attachment
jcd914
The small 6 pin relay looks correct to me, 99 Cabrio is simpler than your Passat relay.

In the diagram it looks like even with a dead relay the wipers would work on high.

Here is the diagram I found:
Click to view attachment

Jim
r_towle
Love this car (not)
Its part of two generations....
Front end and some body work is new, interior and "some" electronics are from the previous generation.

Cabrio is a transition parts car.....really hard to figure out some stuff.

Rich
Chris H.
Rich...not the Cabrio again! headbang.gif

Check VWVortex in the Cabrio section if you don't figure it out here. When I searched "wiper" there were 13 pages of posts, lots of which were titled "wipers don't work".

VWVortex

Not sure if this will link you all the way through. Let's find out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.