Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn indicator light not working in Tachometer.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
On my 74 the green turn indicator light in the tach does not seem to work. Checked the bulb and its good. Seems to be no voltage going through the wire when the blinkers are flashing.

Any suggestions what might be causing this? All the signals are working fine.

I also noticed the 73's and older had two bulbs one for left and one for right turn indication. The 74 up only have one. Is The turn stalk different on the 73 and 74?

I have this same problem with my VW Vanagon.
GregAmy
Similar problem here with my '74. When I select the left turn signal it'll blink in the tach three times then stop; turn signals still work. When I select the right signal it never blinks in the tach. In either case the voltmeter drops -2V with each blink.

I'm guessing it's a ground problem somewhere. I pretty much decided to ignore it.
McMark
It's more work than you need to do, but it's a good project. Replace all the bulbs, making sure they're correct. The wattage for each bulb is embossed into the housing. Most are 21w or 5w. Most people use 1156/1157 bulbs which are very common, but the 1156 is 27w and the 1157 is 27w/8w. These are not correct, which 'confuses' the flasher unit, AND is the cause of most of the melted housings you see. They are brighter, but brighter is hotter. The housing isn't meant for those bulbs.

Also, clean the bulb holders to remove corrosion, as well as the connections (just plug/unplug them a few times).
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 15 2016, 10:31 AM) *

It's more work than you need to do, but it's a good project. Replace all the bulbs, making sure they're correct. The wattage for each bulb is embossed into the housing. Most are 21w or 5w. Most people use 1156/1157 bulbs which are very common, but the 1156 is 27w and the 1157 is 27w/8w. These are not correct, which 'confuses' the flasher unit, AND is the cause of most of the melted housings you see. They are brighter, but brighter is hotter. The housing isn't meant for those bulbs.

Also, clean the bulb holders to remove corrosion, as well as the connections (just plug/unplug them a few times).

I'm sure glad to see you posting again, Mark. poke.gif Must be thawing out there and your ready to come out of Hibernation. Don't make the mistake of swimming in one of those ponds April-May. There colder than a Well Digger's Ass in January. I don't believe they ever warm up. Anyway, good to hear an authoritative voice again. The Cap'n left the building and we need your input. beerchug.gif Kent
pete000
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 15 2016, 10:31 AM) *

What is the correct bulb for the flasher indicator? Any idea where to get one.

I will have to double check the bulb I have in there. I think I replaced most of them at some point.

Thanks for the lead.
McMark
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 15 2016, 10:49 AM) *
I'm sure glad to see you posting again, Mark. poke.gif

Mostly just getting caught up after the 3 months it took to move. wacko.gif Finally have some time.

QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 15 2016, 12:20 PM) *

I will have to double check the bulb I have in there. I think I replaced most of them at some point.

2w. OSRAM Part #: 3898. Other places may be able to cross reference that. Just because they're new doesn't make 'em right. wink.gif

Two other things to check are the flasher unit (unlikely) or the wiring at the hazard switch. Lots of turn signal light problems are traced back to the hazard switch.
porschetub
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 16 2016, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 15 2016, 10:49 AM) *
I'm sure glad to see you posting again, Mark. poke.gif

Mostly just getting caught up after the 3 months it took to move. wacko.gif Finally have some time.

QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 15 2016, 12:20 PM) *

2w. OSRAM Part #: 3898. Other places may be able to cross reference that. Just because they're new doesn't make 'em right. wink.gif

Two other things to check are the flasher unit (unlikely) or the wiring at the hazard switch. Lots of turn signal light problems are traced back to the hazard switch.

Thanks for the helpful replys Mark,I have this same issue @ times so I will check my lamps,regarding the secret second wire,never been able to find it in my 74 ?,would be nice as I have a 911 tach.....any tips on this?.
jcd914
The indicator light is powered by a separate circuit in the flasher relay.

A bad flasher or poor connection would allow the turn signals to work and the indicator to fail.

Jim
Cuda911
If you are going to replace the bulbs, go with LEDs.

Here's my thread on it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...20bulb&st=0
McMark
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 15 2016, 06:00 PM) *
regarding the secret second wire,never been able to find it in my 74 ?,would be nice as I have a 911 tach.....any tips on this?.

Not in the 74 harness. In order to make that work you need to run wires from the hazard switch (black/white is left, black/green is right) up to the tach. Leave the blue/white wire protected (heat shrink over the whole connector) and tucked behind the dash.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 15 2016, 09:09 PM) *

The indicator light is powered by a separate circuit in the flasher relay.

A bad flasher or poor connection would allow the turn signals to work and the indicator to fail.

Jim

agree.gif

Not unusual for 1/2 of a 40 year old relay to fail.
porschetub
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 17 2016, 02:31 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 15 2016, 06:00 PM) *
regarding the secret second wire,never been able to find it in my 74 ?,would be nice as I have a 911 tach.....any tips on this?.

Not in the 74 harness. In order to make that work you need to run wires from the hazard switch (black/white is left, black/green is right) up to the tach. Leave the blue/white wire protected (heat shrink over the whole connector) and tucked behind the dash.

Thanks a lot Mark big help,we have had the first rain in nearly a month will get that sorted when that's over, beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.