Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installation of Bosch hot start relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
The directions say to" disconnect the ignition/starter witch wire (usually a red wire with a black stripe from the start connector of the starter solenoid, and attach it to the blue wire of the relay."

So is that the red wire in the yellow sheathing that is attached to the solenoid? Wondering because the blue wire on the the relay has a spade connector, and the wire going to the solenoid has a round "hole" connector. I'm thinking my setup is not normal.

Also, it says to "attach the black wire of the relay (terminal #87)to the start connector of the starter solenoid." That connector is currently occupied by the yellow wire in the pic. Do I just disconnect that and tape it off?

TIAClick to view attachment
r_towle
The yellow wire is switched power from the ignition switch.
Jeffs9146
Here are a few wiring methods.
ejm
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Mar 14 2016, 05:52 PM) *

I'm thinking my setup is not normal.

The wiring at your starter is stock factory. You have a Bosch four pin relay so ignore the Ford relay wiring.

Look at the terminal markings on your relay. Terminal 30 goes to the battery post on the starter. The terminal opposite it goes to where the yellow wire currently is. That leaves two terminals, one goes to the yellow wire you removed and the other goes to ground. Now when you turn the key the yellow wire energizes the relay and power from the starter battery post goes to the solenoid. This reduces the voltage drop when the power goes from the battery, to the key and then back to the starter. I like to mount the relay just inside the engine bay and keep wire lengths to a minimum.
cooper951
Thanks so much!
Without you guys I'm sure I would blow up my car/kill myself.
Mark Henry

Sorry my bad ....
stugray
Maybe this will help someone in the future:

IPB Image

It's pretty self-explanatory.
I always found it funny that we are installing a relay to help us transfer a relay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.