Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Night driving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Maybe it's just me, but driving at night is a real bitch sometimes. It seems I'm always blinded from behind by the tailgater in the 4x4, and then I can't see anything up front.. Even my brights don't seem too bright. I'm wondering about the Halogen headlamp kit on PP. Does anyone have them? Do they help? huh.gif
scotty914
you probably have halogens already, or you can get them at your FLAPS for $10 each. best thing you can do is call camp 914 and get some driving lights.
jgiroux67
Hey Hammy,
Where in Modesto do you live? I live in Turlock.
What does you car look like?
Hammy
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Mar 24 2005, 07:59 PM)
Hey Hammy,
Where in Modesto do you live? I live in Turlock.
What does you car look like?

I live off of Standiford a few blocks from Davis high...
My teener is orange with nasty looking old paint and both chrome bumpers dented up smilie_pokal.gif
Yours?
jgiroux67
Well mine hasn't been out driving for a while but it has gt flares, 916 front and rear bumpers and is primer gray.

I think I've seen you driving around before. Was it at the Porsche shop in Ceres a couple weeks ago, cause I saw one fitting that description there. Well atleast the orange with chrome bumpers part. It also was 5 lug with Fuchs and rear reflector. Is this your car?
Aaron Cox
dude.....

PILOT lights..... brighter then my sealed beams on high beam laugh.gif
Hammy
Hhhmm I don't think it was me. I didn't even know there was a Porsche shop in Ceres. I'm screwy.gif . It could've been my dad, but I doubt it. confused24.gif

Do you ever tow your 914 behind an RV or a big truck? (i forget which it was)

I saw one being towed on the freeway last summer heading towards Turlock.

Hammy
5 lug and Fuchs... nope not mine biggrin.gif

I've seen a teener that fits the description of yours (I think), but it was lime green.

red914
funny this topic should come up...

like aaron said, the pilots are way brighter than headlights. so, i want new headlights.

at a site called rallylights.com they have hella headlamps, and there is a bulb called the yellowstar, i believe. a yellow headlamp. less glare, just as bright, and better in inclement weather.

the problem is, what is the largest legal wattage you can run? the site says 55w low, 60w high. i checked several sites (DOT, NHTSA, and WSP) and could find no mention of this. anyone know? think of it... 100w of light from each headlamp... mueba.gif
Hammy
So these PILOT driving lights you guys speak of are the ones from Camp 914, correct?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Hammy @ Mar 24 2005, 09:38 PM)
So these PILOT driving lights you guys speak of are the ones from Camp 914, correct?

they can be sourced there....

i love em wub.gif

people in frront of me gimme the bird finger.gif laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (red914 @ Mar 24 2005, 09:36 PM)
funny this topic should come up...

like aaron said, the pilots are way brighter than headlights. so, i want new headlights.

at a site called rallylights.com they have hella headlamps, and there is a bulb called the yellowstar, i believe. a yellow headlamp. less glare, just as bright, and better in inclement weather.

the problem is, what is the largest legal wattage you can run? the site says 55w low, 60w high. i checked several sites (DOT, NHTSA, and WSP) and could find no mention of this. anyone know? think of it... 100w of light from each headlamp... mueba.gif

oooh....

dirk wright disease just caught me.... new...mo betta lighting wub.gif
red914
the pilot lights you can get from many sources. what Craig at CAMP914 has done is added a custom bracket that puts the lights where they should be in the bumper. a pro looking job, it really is.

Craig seems to do a bit of that. takes a part, then makes it idiot proof by taking the guess work out of its application to the 914. good for knuckleheads like me.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Hammy @ Mar 24 2005, 07:34 PM)
Maybe it's just me, but driving at night is a real bitch sometimes. It seems I'm always blinded from behind by the tailgater in the 4x4, and then I can't see anything up front.. Even my brights don't seem too bright. I'm wondering about the Halogen headlamp kit on PP. Does anyone have them? Do they help? huh.gif

I know what you mean by being blinded by the 4X4's. Thank goodness I have a tilt mirror (do all 914's have those? unsure.gif ).
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 24 2005, 08:42 PM)
people in frront of me gimme the bird finger.gif laugh.gif

Hell, I need some of those!!! It would be nice to get revenge on those bastards in the 4X4's!
Andyrew
Hammy, I didnt know you were so close! Davis... I live off coffee and standiford.

Whatcha doin tomorrow?

Andrew
Hammy
Most likely busy..Working probably sad.gif, but perhaps not. Whatcha got in mind? biggrin.gif
Hawktel
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Mar 24 2005, 09:21 PM)

I know what you mean by being blinded by the 4X4's. Thank goodness I have a tilt mirror (do all 914's have those? unsure.gif ).

My 70 that i sold had what I think was the original mirror, and it wasn't a Tilt. So I don't think they all come with them tilter mirrors
Andyrew
You on spring break right? I'll be at home working on my car till about 3pm..

Come by, shoot the breez, show ya some stuff..

PM me and I'll give ya some directions.
teenrookie
If you want lights t olight up the night, it is hard to beat these Hellas. I ran 2 pencils and spreads on my prerunner. They need a transformer and are pretty expensive, but it is daytime at midnight in the middle of the desert with these.
ewdysar
If your car has the original sealed beams, the first easy upgrade is the H4's available from all the usual suppliers. The DOT versions are 55/60, install in minutes and are compatable with the original wiring. I did this, the lights are noticably brighter.

Once these headlights are installed, you can upgrade to 100w highbeams, though you should install relays to take the extra load off of the regular wiring. There are previous posts concerning the specific details for that upgrade.

If your car has fog or driving lights already, you can buy brighter versions, once again, high wattage bulbs should have relays to protect your wiring. One of the vendors on this board has a wiring kit to make your extra lights more helpful, daytime flash, ignore hi/lo setting etc. If I had the extra lights, I'd add that too.

Eric
mudfoot76
PO of my car did the H4 upgrade as well as Pilots. The pilot lights rock.

PO also tinted the rear window, which is very nice for when you are sitting in traffic in front of any of the larger SUVs. Even a flippy mirror doesn't help much if that Lexus Land Cruiser w/Xenons is on your bumper.
Toast
I hate those fucking blue headlights. mad.gif finger.gif
Root_Werks
www.camp914.com

Craig has a really great kit for the piliot lights. I think they are only like $40-50 too? Well worth it.
double-a
QUOTE (ewdysar @ Mar 25 2005, 11:50 AM)
Once these headlights are installed, you can upgrade to 100w highbeams, though you should install relays to take the extra load off of the regular wiring. There are previous posts concerning the specific details for that upgrade.

i'd like to find some help on this too. i wasn't able to find documentation or anything about how to do it. i just purchased and installed some euro h4 lights from a guy in canada, with 100w bulbs. right now i'm running them with the stock wiring.

i also purchased a "high-capacity" relay from pelican, but i can't figure out where to plug it in. where's the headlight relay located? is there one? the relay from pp has four connections on it, and they're spades, not like the round ones on the standard 914 round relay. i may need a different base to plug it into i guess.

~a
SGB
there is no place alraedy made for that relay. The idea is that you run a new, thick (like 10 gage) wire from the battery to the relay so that when the relay is energized then it completes the circuit between that new 12v source and the headights. The trigger for the relay is from the existing headlight + lead. The original wiring runs the power from the HL switch, through the ignition, to the lights. That big load from 100w bulbs will overheat the contacts in the ignition switch and cause it to fail. It can be pretty challenging getting that 10 gage wire through to the front, but it provides more juice to the lights too.
double-a
i'm sure that makes a lot of sense to you, but most times, i need a picture before i can figure it out biggrin.gif i'm not much of an electrician, especially with 12v.

i'll probably just leave it as-is until i figure it all out. hopefully i don't melt anything.

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.