Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: potential purchase 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skjl47
Hello; Went to look at a 914 today. A 1974. A few issues to be sure and I am wondering what I may be getting into.
First there is rust, but not as much as on some others cars I have looked at. The rust is a crap shoot but that is not the question.

The fuel injection has been thrown out and replaced with a single carb. I was lucky enough to see the car at the mechanics shop. The carb is a two barrell and has a geared linkage between the primary and secondary barrells. This is supposed to prevent the flat spot common to such a setup. The car did start well hot and did not seem to bog as the engine revved. There are also two webbers with the car.
My question is about the possibility of getting a fuel injection system and making it work? Any comments welcome.

The next question is about the lack of heat. The exaust is only the pipes with no heat exchangers at all. I think much of the rest of the interior heat system parts are gone also. Any comments welcome. I want heat.

last is that the engine cover lid hinge is broken on one side.

While I did not get to drive the car, the owner took me for a ride. The trans worked fine with no grinding.

Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
rjames
QUOTE(skjl47 @ Mar 15 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Hello; Went to look at a 914 today. A 1974. A few issues to be sure and I am wondering what I may be getting into.
First there is rust, but not as much as on some others cars I have looked at. The rust is a crap shoot but that is not the question.

The fuel injection has been thrown out and replaced with a single carb. I was lucky enough to see the car at the mechanics shop. The carb is a two barrell and has a geared linkage between the primary and secondary barrells. This is supposed to prevent the flat spot common to such a setup. The car did start well hot and did not seem to bog as the engine revved. There are also two webbers with the car.
My question is about the possibility of getting a fuel injection system and making it work? Any comments welcome.

The next question is about the lack of heat. The exaust is only the pipes with no heat exchangers at all. I think much of the rest of the interior heat system parts are gone also. Any comments welcome. I want heat.

While I did not get to drive the car, the owner took me for a ride. The trans worked fine with no grinding.

All sounds like a lot of work to me. Don't let rust be a crap shoot unless it's priced low enough that you can throw the tub away if need be and find a donor tub AND the parts are worthwhile to transplant.

That said, rust, single carb and no exchangers would be enough to have me looking for another car unless everything else is fantastic, it's cheap and I had lots of time and skills to do all the necessary work.
Amphicar770
SOunds like you should keep looking.

Rust is never a crap shoot on these cars. It is the difference between a driver and a parts car.

You want FI, this car has carbs.

You want heat, this car has none.

You will spend a LOT more money getting it the way you want it versus just buying one already sorted out.

skjl47
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 15 2016, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(skjl47 @ Mar 15 2016, 04:29 PM) *

All sounds like a lot of work to me. Don't let rust be a crap shoot unless it's priced low enough that you can throw the tub away if need be and find a donor tub AND the parts are worthwhile to transplant.

That said, rust, single carb and no exchangers would be enough to have me looking for another car unless everything else is fantastic, it's cheap and I had lots of time and skills to do all the necessary work.

Hello; Asking price is $8500. Is that cheap enough?
skjl47
Hello rjames: I used to have the skills to do the work. Now I am a bit old and endurance may be in question. I have the time. I do not have the best place to work, but it is inside.
I guess the price is the big question. Sounds like too much for what I wil get. The rest of the car is not great.
EdwardBlume
There's what you see and what you don't see. Not enough data points on the problem areas. Unless you do a full inspection, buyer beware...

Could be a good deal or a bad deal... at 8500....
Big Len
Is it cheap enough?

No, not yet. Not the way you've described.

We don't know how much rust is less than some of the other cars you saw. What the previous posters are trying to say is rust is everything.

Is it a 1.8 or a 2.0? Can you post pics?

914_teener
Keep looking.

Just because it revs well standing still doesn.t mean it will do the same under load.
forrestkhaag
Couldn't agree with Amphicar more. There are good cars out there for similar money with the parts still insitu.

If near me in Socal, I am happy to go check it out with or without you for a complementary PPI.

Rust is but one of the whole things in your purchase decision...... There are about 5 or 6 deal breakers for these mighty little rides and just one can swing the value by thousands of dollars.

By way of example, our pal Larmo63 recently picked up a nice 73 rust free 2.0 with a long standing owner, great paperwork and original sticker etc. and in the bargain, traded out a few goodies form his daily striver - like all of the PMB rebuilt rear brakes, 911 suspension and brakes, interior bits, seats, lights, lenses, etc. from his sticker-festooned 1.7 / Then, he sold the 1.7 to a very willing and happy buyer in Austria / and came out about 8 to 10 grand ahead.

Why? Because Speedy (the yellow 1.7) had significant rust issues that would require extensive chassis work, fabrication, and reinforcement to withstand the 6 he intends to install. No headache in that transaction.....

Take your time. It will pay off down the line to a good driver.

beerchug.gif

poorsche914
Come down to Knoxville and check this one out on CL.

I don't know the car but it looks to be in much better condition than the one you describe and only for a few $$$ more at $9200.

IPB Image
Porsche 914: i have owner this car for the last 18 years. I have decided to sell it. The car is in great condition for its age. Runs and drives great, rust free car, new michelins. The interior on the car is in good condition. The original steering wheel is also included. I could go on and on but if you are interested in a rare 914 in great condition then contact me and we can work out a veiwing by appointment.

driving.gif
skjl47
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 15 2016, 10:41 PM) *

Come down to Knoxville and check this one out on CL.

I don't know the car but it looks to be in much better condition than the one you describe and only for a few $$$ more at $9200.

IPB Image
Porsche 914: i have owner this car for the last 18 years. I have decided to sell it. The car is in great condition for its age. Runs and drives great, rust free car, new michelins. The interior on the car is in good condition. The original steering wheel is also included. I could go on and on but if you are interested in a rare 914 in great condition then contact me and we can work out a veiwing by appointment.

driving.gif

Hello; This is the car. Owner took me for a ride of around ten miles. I will try to post pictures.
skjl47
Hello; No luck with posting my pictures.

Rust in rear trunk. Blisters in the paint in two areas. General surface rust under the car. Rocker panels still in place with rivets. Jack points still in place. Could not get a good look in engine area
Cuda911
Not much to say without some good pix, but based on the limited info, 8,500 seems way too high to me.

Forrest, Larmo came out 8 to 10K ahead????? Yowza! My cars should be worth a fortune then.
Cracker
YOU NEED TO CONTACT TYGABOY ABOUT HIS CAR!!! HE WILL BE SELLING IT AND ALL THE RUST PLUS REINFORCEMENTS HAVE BEEN DONE. JUST SAYIN.

Tony
rhodyguy
"The rest of the car is not great"+$8.5k will prob equal $20k plus. If you're lucky. Up your price expectations and keep looking.
DRPHIL914
pass on this at that price, I wouldn't buy it for $5k.

spend just a bit more and you will get a non-rusted out, sorted, driving car, like this;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...273921&st=0

guys like Peter selling their car here will not be a "crap shoot"
you will be dealing with people who you can trust and tell you everything they know about the car. there may be work but it would be having to spend 10-15K on rust repair and repaint.

Dr. Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.