Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking end play. Am I doing this right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi all,

Tonight I tried checking end play. Not sure if I'm doing it right and if my readings are good / bad. Engine has not been apart, flywheel has been refaced.

I put flywheel on with 3 bolts, no grease seal, torqued to 40 ft lbs.

Mounted gauge as shown. Took measurements at 3 points after rotating flywheel, all readings pretty consistent. Returns to zero when I pry in the other direction. Note that the gauge reading is going in reverse so it is actually reading approx 3 one thousandths.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pilothyer
I would call that PERFECT !!!!
Amphicar770
Thanks. Just re-positioned the gauge so that the contact point is closer to center of flywheel. Took some more readings. Pretty consistent. Whereas earlier readings were just to the low side of 3 one thousands, new readings are just to the high side.
stugray
Just to be clear: this is after you measured end-play with no shims, and have installed the shim pack right?

Cuz .003 with no shims would make me worry.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 16 2016, 12:20 AM) *

Just to be clear: this is after you measured end-play with no shims, and have installed the shim pack right?

Cuz .003 with no shims would make me worry.

The readings shown are with the three shims installed.
McMark
thumb3d.gif
Mark Henry
Good to go, don't forget the new flywheel Oring and you should install a new pilot bearing and fuzzy washer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.