Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dansk Muffler Does NOT Fit 914 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mark04usa
I just got a new JP Dansk muffler, part number 1620000400 (91.403) for my '70 1.7 with original heat exchangers and stock rear valance. The fit is not even close WTF.gif

Saw too late that someone else had this problem and it was discussed here several years ago, with no resolution. I may have to go with a Bursch since they will actually come very close to fitting and could be reasonably modified to fit the valance port...anyone know of another alternative that would actually fit this car? Not interested in Triad or any other extremely expensive hot rod muffler...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

jsaum
Use the search and look type in (heat exchanger flange dimensions) you'll see a chart that shows the different sizes. It looks to me like you may have later model heat exchangers on your car.
mark04usa
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 15 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Use the search and look type in (heat exchanger flange dimensions) you'll see a chart that shows the different sizes. It looks to me like you may have later model heat exchangers on your car.

Nope, the HE's are definately original to this car.
7TPorsh
Bus muffler?
mark04usa
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 15 2016, 11:59 PM) *

Bus muffler?

IIRC bus exhaust exits on the right side...

I think Dansk is marketing the muffler without regard to the original snowplow valance, since they are rarely still attached to the car. I just wish they would let their customers know in advance that the muffler is NOT a factory style fit at all.

This was the last part to bolt up in a 17 month session of upfixin'...was almost ready to pull the jack stands out from under headbang.gif
jsaum
I thought the ones that turned up are the later model ones, the chart shows 1.7 / 1.8 to have a spacing of 29.5" from the two bottom outer bolt holes, 2.0 is 28". Either way the muffler seems to be off by an entire flange length from your picture.
jcd914
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 15 2016, 09:06 PM) *

I thought the ones that turned up are the later model ones, the chart shows 1.7 / 1.8 to have a spacing of 29.5" from the two bottom outer bolt holes, 2.0 is 28". Either way the muffler seems to be off by an entire flange length from your picture.

2.0L HEs are straight
1.7/1.8L HEs turn up at the back.

The HEs in the OP's picture are 1.7/1.8 HEs.

Jim
mark04usa
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 16 2016, 12:06 AM) *

The flanges line up fine, I have the muffler positioned in the photo to illustrate how far off the tailpipe is from exiting the port hole smile.gif If I had a 914/6 valance, the tailpipe position might be a lot closer...

I see that Pelican, SMC and many of the other usual suppliers are selling this same muffler claiming it fits '70-74 -and they offer no warning that the part doesn't fit stock original configuration on early model cars. Another instance where many of the suppliers we depend on too often undependable.
messix
that is an early rear valance [hole instead of lower cut out in edge]

porschetub
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Mar 16 2016, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 16 2016, 12:06 AM) *

The flanges line up fine, I have the muffler positioned in the photo to illustrate how far off the tailpipe is from exiting the port hole smile.gif If I had a 914/6 valance, the tailpipe position might be a lot closer...

I see that Pelican, SMC and many of the other usual suppliers are selling this same muffler claiming it fits '70-74 -and they offer no warning that the part doesn't fit stock original configuration on early model cars. Another instance where many of the suppliers we depend on too often undependable.

Bummer any chance of a return/refund....bugger then there is the shipping,I found many suppliers don't know or care what they are selling,atleast Pelican have a feedback section and they normally respond to this and upskill on fit and quality,not always the case however as they do sell URO parts headbang.gif .
I quess if you can't return it you need to find what it really fits and onsell it,the Bursch mufflers appear to be good quality for a fair price makes sense they have been around a while.
mark04usa
It was an eBay purchase, so I will be able to return the muffler. It is really frustrating to be taken advantage of by our vendors. Also, I made the mistake of listening to some questionable advice here on this board and got rid of the Bursch muffler I was going to install...not knowing at the time that Bursch is the ONLY available muffler to use with the stock rear valance! shades.gif
mark04usa
I just got off the phone with Pelican Parts. Their rep was a nice fellow but did not know much about our cars. They do indeed sell the same Dansk muffler that I have, and claim it should fit...which it does if you remove your valance. headbang.gif
mepstein
Do you want an original early 1.7 muffler? Pm me.
Garland
Heres mine waiting to install later this summer.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.