Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to know what the factory engine was
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chrisf
Hey guys new to the site, I'm looking to buy my first 914 smile.gif
Its a 73 and the engine in it is a GA. My question is there a way to know this car came factory with a 2.0?

Thanks for the help!
Chris
stevegm
Welcome. You can order a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche (COA) for about $100. It will give you the engine number, which would allow you to see if it was a 2.0.

COA Link
chrisf
thanks Steve for info. I thought there would be a way to know engine type by the vin tag like on 356's and 911's
Kansas 914
QUOTE(chrisf @ Mar 16 2016, 10:06 AM) *

thanks Steve for info. I thought there would be a way to know engine type by the vin tag like on 356's and 911's

Not much info with the VIN. Like Steve mentioned the only way to know for sure is CoA.

Try this for engine code to size (GA is a 2.0L)

http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php
7TPorsh
With chassis numbers here:

http://www.porsche914.org/engnum.html
7TPorsh
with engine number range here:

http://www.p914.com/p914_vin.htm

r_towle
get the VIN.
Call PCNA to talk with the COA people.
Ask them over the phone....they are very helpful, for free.

rich
Tom_T
QUOTE(chrisf @ Mar 16 2016, 08:06 AM) *

No Chris, but if you call PCNA's 800# for the COA's & tell them that you're looking to buy this one, & want to confirm if it's a true 914-2.0 & matching numbers - & give them both the engine GA# & VIN for it, then they may confirm over the phone.

Tell them you'd get the COA after you buy one, plus they cannot sell you a COA if you're not the owner AFAIK.

Go to the Porsche website, to their Classics section, Documents & COA & look for the 800# there, or find their ad in the Panorama with the $10 discount for PCA members - IIRC it has their 800# too.

PCNA should really have an established process to confirm a car's provenance/OE set-up for prospective buyers, so they won't get hosed by fakers IMHO!! dry.gif

PS - they'll make you give the GA# & VIN at the least - maybe ask to email pix of the 2 as well. In fact, I had to send them a pic of my 2.0's GA# before they would correct the COA of my own dang car (2nd owner since Dec. `75)!

Plus it took me 3-4 tries to get them to do a correct COA - they had wrong first sold date & dealer/state in their records (made me email another pic of the CA Reg card), & had the interior wrong - correct code for tan, but labeled as black (that took more resarch & pix to them to get them to correct). Bottom line - PCNA can & does often make mistakes on their COAs, so whenever you order yours, don't be afraid to ask them to correct it, & do so for free after the initial fee is paid.

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
for what you need, a call with the VIN number will do it.

I have done this more than once.
They are helpful over the phone prior to purchase...and typically I get a COA afterwards once I own the car.

rich
chrisf
Thanks guys for all the help and info:)!!!!
chrisf
Hey guys, called coa and waiting for a call back. The 914 i'm looking at is a 73 and I read that all 73 2.0's had the appearance package is that true? the one i'm going to look at in the pictures does not have the 3 gauge center panel nor the arm rest but has the driving lights.

thanks
gcrotvik
QUOTE(chrisf @ Mar 16 2016, 08:49 AM) *

Hey guys new to the site, I'm looking to buy my first 914 smile.gif
Its a 73 and the engine in it is a GA. My question is there a way to know this car came factory with a 2.0?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Look in the engine compartment, left side above the relay panel. There is a factory sticker that indicates what engine size/type the car originally came with. You will have to read it through as the EA or GA is part of the language used. If the sticker has an EA on it, it came equipped with a 1.7. If the sticker has a GA on it, it came with a 2.0. If the sticker is missing or unreadable, you are no worse off than you are now. If it's there, you will know immediately, without a COA.

If it is there, and there is a GA on it, what you won't know is if the 2.0 you have is original to the car. You will need a COA for that.

Hope this helps.

Greg
dlkawashima
You can also check the tag attached to the fuel expansion tank in the front trunk.
165HR15 tires were standard on the 2.0L. The 1.7L originally came with "S" rated tires.

IPB Image
krazykonrad
agree.gif

welcome.png

Konrad
chrisf
Thanks guys !! will check for the stickers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.