Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car transport Do's/Don't/Tips please !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
Fellow 914 members, please chime in with your 2 cents from your experiences.
I am not sure what my company will be sending to transport the 914. Ideally I would like an enclosed one to protect it from the elements. I am also thinking I need to contact my insurance prior to the move to up the agreed value just in case.

Lets hear them please.....

Thanks
76-914
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 16 2016, 10:11 AM) *

Fellow 914 members, please chime in with your 2 cents from your experiences.
I am not sure what my company will be sending to transport the 914. Ideally I would like an enclosed one to protect it from the elements. I am also thinking I need to contact my insurance prior to the move to up the agreed value just in case.

Lets hear them please.....

Thanks

If it's Primo I would ship enclosed. Otherwise, open rig. If it is loaded close to the front of the trailer it will be covered in diesel ash when it arrives.
tomrev
Make sure you pin down the insurance part; most carriers will state they do not cover any damage, even if they do it.. Also, make sure it's left in neutral, as it bounces back and forth in gear all across the country, it can break the gear (as I sadly found out after selling my six). Put a note on the s. wheel, as it will probably be moved a few times in the trip.
Amphicar770
The big problem with the large shippers is that your vehicle may wind up on a half dozen trucks and as many depots.

I have always had good luck with uship where I find a small hauler who will be the same guy from pickup to dropoff. My 914 arrived years ago on a two-vehicle, enclosed trailer and the experience was flawless. I did have one bad experience with another guy but his insurance made things right.

r_towle
Insurance
Dead Batteries happen with many moves
Filthy when arrives, so you will need to clean it

Take lots of detailed pictures when it gets loaded.
Insurance

Remember, its just a car....if they break it, get it fixed...
Insurance.

Rich
boxstr
I use COAST TO COAST for most all of my transport needs. Unless it is a short distance, within the state.
Definitely get your insurance updated. If you can take pics of the car before it is loaded.
Do not send any titles or hard to replace paperwork in the car or with the driver.
Be the driver is instructed on how to start and turn off the car. Also how to shift it.
Craig at CAMP
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(tomrev @ Mar 16 2016, 01:06 PM) *

Make sure you pin down the insurance part; most carriers will state they do not cover any damage, even if they do it.. Also, make sure it's left in neutral, as it bounces back and forth in gear all across the country, it can break the gear (as I sadly found out after selling my six). Put a note on the s. wheel, as it will probably be moved a few times in the trip.

Agree 100% on transporting, leave in neutral !
carr914
I just shipped my 73 Camaro from CA to FL enclosed for $1300 - the best Transport Deal I've had and I've done a lot of them
913B
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 16 2016, 06:19 PM) *

I just shipped my 73 Camaro from CA to FL enclosed for $1300 - the best Transport Deal I've had and I've done a lot of them

which one did you use, PM me with it or something. The transporter will not be my choice but what is assigned to me. One of my friends said his car was lowered and insisted on enclosed and they gave him enclosed. I guess it will be just the luck of the draw and hope for the best on my journey. Just checking with y'all that has more experiences.

Keep the comments coming if you got them... driving.gif driving.gif

Thank you
busyguyfish
OK here is my 2 cents worth. 47 years. In trucking and almost all of it as a independent. The last 15 as car hauler. If someone else is footing the bill they well choose the carrier. However make sure you boss knows how much you love your car and that if the truck shows up looking like it was just pulled out of a ditch in a cow pasture and the driver speaks no english you are going to send the truck away. anymore more and more drivers are imports and I for one don't like the direction the industry is going.

But for the rest of us that need to pay for the service out of pocket. The Uship idea is good. Referrals from friends is a good way to go. Go down to one of you local new car dealers and talk to the used or new car manager and get some references. We were called upon often to do dealer to dealer trades and they can tell you who has worked good for them. I'm retired now and only haul for my close friends and that keeps me to busy.

In most cases you do not need to worry about the insurance issue. We all carried more than $100000 in cargo and the truck insurance company well pay. Do take some good photos before and after the car is loaded for your scrapbook and make sure some one is there for the loading and unloading.

May your Porsche have a pleasant journey! bye1.gif

Steve

913B
Thank you Steve, I hope I won't have to start another thread showing what bad things has happened on the journey. beerchug.gif
Cracker
I've shipped a number of cars too...have learned lessons the hard way (too). PM me your phone number if you want to discuss - too much to articulately type out here. I don't quite know what you mean by "the transporter will not be my choice..."; that's starting off on the wrong note right there. You DAMN WELL BETTER pick the carrier. Believe me, it can make all the difference. If the car you're acquiring is a basket case or rat rod...well, yes it doesn't matter. Otherwise - it does.

Knowing what I know, learning what I've learned, price is only a consideration but NOT the most important criteria. You get what you pay for - in spades (and sometimes the low-cost option doesn't bite you in the ass).

PS: But I don't have a strong opinion about it or anything...

Tony
carr914
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 16 2016, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 16 2016, 06:19 PM) *

which one did you use, PM me with it or something. The transporter will not be my choice but what is assigned to me. One of my friends said his car was lowered and insisted on enclosed and they gave him enclosed. I guess it will be just the luck of the draw and hope for the best on my journey. Just checking with y'all that has more experiences.

Keep the comments coming if you got them... driving.gif driving.gif

Thank you

I use a Broker which means it's Hit or Miss on the actual Carrier. If you go Open, you get the Dregs of the Earth hauling your car, they always break down & are late. If you go enclosed, they have more money into their Rigs and tend to take car of your car better. Even though I use a Broker, I have the actual Carriers name at work, so I will grab that & let you know
Unobtanium-inc
Whatever you do, don't pick based on price. Go with someone who is recommended and trusted with Porsches.
Want to read some horror stories, I have a bunch on my blog:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2012/02...ng-of-porsches/

My favorite was a guy who didn't want to use my transporter, he saved $100 by finding a guy on U-ship. The guy showed up to pick up the car in a converted motor home. Except he had double booked, he also agreed to transport someone's furniture. So when he loaded the 356, he loaded a couch on top of it! Good thing he saved $100.
EdwardBlume
Awesome! Couch on a 356!
Pat Garvey
When I moved from Cincinnati to Philly (corporate move) it was "katy-bar-the-door" on expense. Everything packed carefully (including a half cord of firewood) into a monstrous Bekins Moving truck. Oh, and that included my 914 AND 911 inside the truck! The movers were super careful with everything and both Porsches, as well as household arrived intact. No flaws! I'd recommend them, but it was VERY price move!
P
Amphicar770
I've moved about 10 cars using U-ship. Only had one bad experience, that was covered by insurance.

uShip is kind of like eBay. Haulers all have ratings from past customers, so choose wisely. Likewise, be patient if you are looking for a good price.
bretth
Shipping cars sucks. I try to avoid unless I can do it myself. As Adam's blog shows most of them really don't care. My 914 was shipped to me last summer and the guy almost ran me over with it as he suddenly launched it backwards off of the ramp. I think he accidentally tried to start the car in reverse because I never even heard the motor start it simply flew backwards without warning. It miraculously managed to stay straight on the skinny little ramps as it rolled down to the ground. I have no clue how it didn't bottom out because it was rolling so fast. Then his truck battery died and he was blocking both me and the neighbors driveways for the next 3 hours while I helped him get it going again. The car was also delivered a day later than was originally discussed even though it only traveled a little over 200 miles to get to me.

Brett
Unobtanium-inc
I recently had a whole truckload picked up, 6 cars, all non-op. I told the guy and put it in writing, NO BRAKES. He calls while he is loading them that the first one "got away from him" he said it had no brakes. WTF!
So while we are unloading he starts trying to use the brakes, I literally was banging the hood of the car screaming, "There are NO BRAKES!"
We had one winch pulling and one winch breaking, it was working great but he said it was taking forever. I asked him how much it was going to cost him if he wrecked another one of my cars.
Oh, and he also blew his hydraulic pump and drained quarts of fluid all over the street in front of my shop, it was a nightmare.
They don't all suck, but it doesn't take much to be a truck driver, so a lot of people get into it, and then get out, but leave lots of carnage in their wake.
Cracker
For those who are not experienced...it can be a bit misleading. The vast majority of Uship "providers" are brokers. Therefore, the "ratings" and experiences can be derived from hundreds of different haulers. They also have no real leverage once they "pass you off to the hauler"...I will NOT use brokers - work directly with the organization that owns the equipment from the get-go.

T

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 18 2016, 02:54 PM) *

I've moved about 10 cars using U-ship. Only had one bad experience, that was covered by insurance.

uShip is kind of like eBay. Haulers all have ratings from past customers, so choose wisely.

Unobtanium-inc
Regular brokers are the same, the worst ones like Express Shipping will give it to the cheapest guy, they don't care.
http://www.theexpressauto.com/

If you are shipping a car you care about, don't get cheap, I normally pay 20-30% above market so I can have a bunch of guys to pick and choose from. Doesn't always work, but it does put the odds in your favor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.