Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brought a 74 2.0 from a yunkjard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Pacqs
So i recently brought this 74 2.0 from a yunkjard (for the price of 1300 dollars)
it has some minor rust nothing too serious and to my surprise it starts (has dual 44 idf carbs)
so what you guys think about it ?
Click to view attachment
will post rest of the pictures in a link
iankarr
Are you thinking of restoring it? You might want to consider parting it out since you'll probably make some decent dough...and put that into a car that's starting out in better shape. Post more pics!
Pacqs
Here is the Album link Here
(I took the carbs out to restore so they arent on the pictures)
Sedonut
The type of title is important for future value. If it has a salvage title I might part it out. Check for rust. Lots of threads here on what to look for. From what I can see of your pictures, that car may have a lot more rust than you think.

If it has a clear title, maybe worth doing.
Pacqs
unfortunately its salvage and on the rust issue i did check under the car and rocker panels since its what you guys say its what is normally the issue with the rust
and on the restoration topic thats what i plan on doing it since its gonna be my car for university here on mexico.
era vulgaris
Wow that cowl is baaaaaaaaaad. Judging by the interior, it looks like someone cared about that car at one point. Sad when you see them deteriorate like that. I'd part it out. If the rest of the interior is as nice as the dash you should be able to make your money back just on that. What's salvageable from the rest of the car will put you in the black.
Pacqs
yea i found it strange why they threw it out to the yunkyard.... well it has corbeau seats and when i took it for a quick check i found it has bilstein yellows on the front and rear,also it has some kind of emergency battery disconnect and has 2 extra odometer on the drivers side..
(Might snap a picture to show what im talking about if i dont make much sense
CatDaddy60
QUOTE(Pacqs @ Mar 16 2016, 05:41 PM) *

yea i found it strange why they threw it out to the yunkyard.... well it has corbeau seats and when i took it for a quick check i found it has bilstein yellows on the front and rear,also it has some kind of emergency battery disconnect and has 2 extra odometer on the drivers side..
(Might snap a picture to show what im talking about if i dont make much sense

Second odometers were used for road Rallye competition but good luck with the restoration
Pacqs
Might check whats really on the engine since im quite curios if the odometers where for show or if this car was a rally proyect.
and thanks for the words catdaddy60 i hope everything goes smooth but that might be wishful thinking since well....its a junkyard car.
xperu
QUOTE(Pacqs @ Mar 16 2016, 08:05 PM) *

So i recently brought this 74 2.0 from a yunkjard (for the price of 1300 dollars)
it has some minor rust nothing too serious and to my surprise it starts (has dual 44 idf carbs)
Click to view attachment

Good for you, compared to some of the rust repair challenges I have seen on this site, the body work in front of you seams very achievable. Keep it in one piece, fix it and drive a fun car. Mike first.gif
Pacqs
Thanks mike ill keep updating on here about the progress. beerchug.gif
banananose914
Hey Pacqs. Here's the bottom line. You found a car from a junkyard that actually runs. Few members here can say that about most any 914 that they have purchased from anywhere. At least without spending more than what you did. Clean up the car, get it dialed in the way you want it, then decide where you want to go with it. The car needs some attention, but you will learn a lot along the way to making it right. As you progress through it, you can decide if it's worth it or not. When you drive it, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you saved a worthwhile car. A venerable 914 no less. Let the lesson begin.
GaroldShaffer
Has early square rear bumper and looks to have Engman's racing pedals. I say enjoy your time fixing it up and driving.gif the heck out of it.
boxsterfan
Take the rocker panels off and show us pics. Also show us pics of the hell hole.

That front cowl looks wasted. If that was the only thing rusted badly, that could be fixed with a donor. Unfortunately, rust never sleeps and could be bad throughout the car.

I wouldn't drive it until I knew it wasn't going to collapse in half on me.

That being said, as others pointed out those bumpers are worth some money. The dash, steering wheel, instruments, engine and many other parts are worth some money. If you parted it out, you would definitely get your money back.

You should have haggled the junkyard for an even lower price! :-)
Pacqs
willo try to get pictures under the panels and the hellhole tomorrow
Elliot Cannon
From the position of the spark plugs, isn't that a 1.7? I would strip everything I could off of it and sell the tub real cheap to someone back east. They might be happy to have it. biggrin.gif
Pacqs
The car has a GA code stamped on a sticker in engine with the vin number etc, but i have tried to locate both engine codes from the 1.8,2.0 but i havent seen any on the engine but it might been below some of the gunk i havent cleaned.
TheCabinetmaker
Plug location says 1.7/1.8. Not a 2L. Oil filler neck says 1.8L.
mepstein
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 17 2016, 02:10 AM) *

From the position of the spark plugs, isn't that a 1.7? I would strip everything I could off of it and sell the tub real cheap to someone back east. They might be happy to have it. biggrin.gif

Even us east coast guys know, looking at that cowl, it's a very rusty tub.
DRPHIL914
lots of good parts on the car , but rust in cowl is bad,

the speaker pods in car are nice, they were couple hundred dollars -- aftermarket from Morph and 914AP(now with 914rubber.com) like Mark said, someone put some time and effort into cleanind and customizing the interior, if car ran you have a motor you could take and put into a tub with less rust. but if you have skills and time you can keep it, fix it.

Good luck, phil
bandjoey
Here's my take
Combo temp guage 100
Other gauges 100
Moms wheel 100
Epmpi looking wheel set 300
Door trunk locks and latches 100
Pedal set 50
Gold Porsche letters 10 easy
Core motor 300
Tranny core100
Brake caliper cores 15 each
You get your money back
Misc small parts 500
Speaker pods 100
Front fog light grills 75

Part it out sorry. Record the vin number if it's not already done.
billh1963
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 17 2016, 08:51 AM) *

Here's my take
Combo temp guage 100
Other gauges 100
Moms wheel 100
Pedal set 50
Core motor 300
Tranny core100
You get your money back
Misc small parts 500
Speaker pods 100

I think that combo gauge is worth a lot more than $100....just saying. People on here will pay a LOT more than that for a four gauge combo gauge in good condition
billh1963
Just noticed the oil pressure or shift light on the dash....

Someone put some money into this car at some point. You really need to look to see what goodies have been added. You may have a LSD under there, expensive suspension pieces, etc.

Get someone knowledgeable to look over the car if you decide to sell it or part it out. There are people out there who would love to lowball you on valuable parts...do your research
gereed75
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 17 2016, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 17 2016, 08:51 AM) *

Here's my take
Combo temp guage 100
Other gauges 100
Moms wheel 100
Pedal set 50
Core motor 300
Tranny core100
You get your money back
Misc small parts 500
Speaker pods 100

I think that combo gauge is worth a lot more than $100....just saying. People on here will pay a LOT more than that for a four gauge combo gauge in good condition

I agree. Combo gauge worth $250 probably.

Rear bumper and top looks decent - another $250.

Probably has an aftermarket radio but if it has a good working, period Blaupunkt they are getting $375 all day long.

Can't tell what is up with dash but a nice crack free one is maybe $200 - that appears to be a stitched cover so not sure??

Part it I think. I suspect long/hell hole rust will be bad!
Part it unless you have a bucket of $ .
Elliot Cannon
I'll bet Scotty could fix it. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
I'm always inspired by people who take rough cars and fix them up. Good luck with your 914!
Pacqs
here is a picture of the hellhole
Click to view attachment
will update the gallery with new pictures of the interior and the carbs after their rebuild
Pacqs
just updated the gallery on here
also a picture of the interior
Click to view attachment
Pacqs
It appears the battery tray was the one who bited to bullet instead of the hellhole on the rust issue
Click to view attachment
billh1963
What's the latest?
Pacqs
Not much i went to get the muffler fixed and i only had a quick look underneath and theres billstein yellows and the rotors appear to have some kind if shield, will update this fryday or so since im on a trip on mexico
beerchug.gif
9fourteen14
QUOTE(Pacqs @ Mar 16 2016, 09:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Keep it my friend and fix it up.... do something every week.
it is an awesome vehicle.
just get it running and stickered and then do more every week.

good luck..

BTW: this is a great group for assistance.

914 luva

check out my blog:9FOURTEEN14.BLOGSPOT.COM
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pacqs @ Mar 18 2016, 07:07 PM) *
here is a picture of the hellhole

Looks like someone put a slab of bondo or fiberglass over the hole in the hellhole ...
idea.gif
busyguyfish
Ignore the ones crying out to part it out. Like one of the guy said I've seen much, much worse come back to life. It sickens me when any vehicle that is saveable gets parted out. It's not about the money but the history. I sold a 23 window Vw bus for $15,000 that even I thought should die. That bus latter sold for over $100,000 and looked beautiful.

So with us seeing nice 914's going for over 10 G's and super nice one going way higher then that, I think you have a good deal with plenty of room to come out ahead.

Just Say'in
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(busyguyfish @ Mar 30 2016, 04:13 PM) *

Ignore the ones crying out to part it out. Like one of the guy said I've seen much, much worse come back to life. It sickens me when any vehicle that is saveable gets parted out. It's not about the money but the history. I sold a 23 window Vw bus for $15,000 that even I thought should die. That bus latter sold for over $100,000 and looked beautiful.

So with us seeing nice 914's going for over 10 G's and super nice one going way higher then that, I think you have a good deal with plenty of room to come out ahead.

Just Say'in

It all depends on how much you can afford to put into it.
Pacqs
Hello back from my vacations,i had the muffler and the exhaust pulled out because 2 screws snapped and on the side of how much money i can put on this thing, i have a rough estimate of 3k on bodywork,since i got the engine check and aside from a few details its very minor. also people had doubts about the engine size, so unless someone decided to put 2.0 exhaust,muffler and muffler bracket im sure its a 2.0

Also i couldnt get some quality pictures of underneath
but it appears the car did have some rust fixing before below the rocker panels
76-914
icon_bump.gif
mepstein
$3k for bodywork. No way.
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2016, 10:25 AM) *

agree.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 31 2016, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2016, 10:25 AM) *

agree.gif

Bill and I have - btdt.
EdwardBlume
Do a full budget estimate and we can help with that. Start with safety and mechanical, then performance, then aesthetics. Keep up the good work!
Pacqs
about the 3k bodywork i know its execessive i might not even 2k on the body but i rather have a large budget and be safe than later having my car falling to pieces as i drive it.
also buying another tub is out of the question since i live in mexico
lets says if i bought a rust free shell to get it on my country i will have to pay fees do a ton of paperwork wich would equal to atleast 2-4k depending on wheter i want the car to be able to circulate or just "Import it as junk"

also im not blowing all the budget on the body huh.gif if i did that it would be pretty stupid to have an awesome body but a damn rusty lawnmower in the engine.
mepstein
I was thinking $3k is just a fraction needed to do the body.
Pacqs
Really well i have no expierence on this kind of cars i had a 70 mustang that lookes like a cheesegrader and the cost of it was for around 1.5k for bodywork
billh1963
QUOTE(Pacqs @ Mar 31 2016, 02:25 PM) *

Really well i have no expierence on this kind of cars i had a 70 mustang that lookes like a cheesegrader and the cost of it was for around 1.5k for bodywork

Are you taking the car to Mexico for work? I bet it's much less expensive there.

As Mark said, he and I (and others) have been down that road.
Pacqs
Yes the bodywork and paint ia generally cheaper.
It all comes down to having someone you can trust
billh1963
QUOTE(Pacqs @ Mar 31 2016, 03:21 PM) *

Yes the bodywork and paint ia generally cheaper.
It all comes down to having someone you can trust

I agree. I've heard of a few places in Tijuana that have a great reputation. A lot of guys from San Diego take their cars over the border for paint and interior work.

Pacqs
ill prolly do the bodywork last since im more concerned on the tranny but this proyect might take from 2 months to a year, i will ask whatever question i have to you guys regarding engine/transmission since im pretty young and inexpierenced on this cars.
sb914
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.