Full Version: best theft prevention?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
was just looking into theft prevention.

kill switch, club, gun, yadda yadda.

what works well?

shift locks avail. for these?
or brake line lockouts?

battery cutoff pullout maybe. I feel like i should do something. I just dont want to put an alarm in it, and silent remote pager maybe.

b.
teenrookie
I did the removable battery cut off switch on a Speedster replica I built a long time ago.

Don't know if it ever helped, but gave me peace of mind when I had the "key" in my pocket.
Andyrew
fuel and spark cut off switches are good. Mount it in the rear felder or something...

skline
Park in the garage like I do. Otherwise, leave the windows down and the doors unlocked. Keep it fully insured.
ChrisReale
My major theft deterent is the fact that it is a 914. If some jack ass steals it, he thinks he's in first, but little does he know biggrin.gif
sj914
Owning a 914 is theft deterent enough. biggrin.gif
If theives were like some of the mechanics that I've taken my car to back when I had my first 914, they wouldn't be able to find the engine. wacko.gif
SpecialK
I'm mounting a key switch inside my console, and using PP's idea of grounding out the neg. side of the coil (wire leading to the tach). Maybe it'll keep them busy long enough for me to find something big and heavy to beat the crap out of them with for trying to steal my car.... chair.gif wink.gif
ArtechnikA
if your cutoff is on the fuel pump, the car will start and run to a more prominent location on the fuel in the carb float bowls.

cars with injection aren't worth protecting ... biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 25 2005, 07:23 AM)

finger.gif flipa.gif pissoff.gif blowtorch.gif Yack.gif

Cars with the antique design, overgrown purfume sprayers sitting on top aren't worth DRIVING!!!

FI = More Horsepower, more Gas Mileage and more drivability.

Carbs = Shitty Gas mileage, cantankerous linkage to keep them synced, and now very expensive.

Remember, there IS a reason why WEBER, SOLEX, and DELLORTTO are either out of business or no longer make carburetors, and there are many companies that make Fuel Injection parts.

Now, that being said... a /6 with carbs sounds real good when you open the throttle wide.

Just so everyone knows... I have had both carbs and FI on a 914. The FI starts first time, every time cold or hot, rain or shine with the turn of the key. The carbs would not start without major coaxing when it was cold, and they ran like crap in the rain.

(Now climbing down off my soapbox)

Rich... Here's to a difference of opinion. beerchug.gif

Now if you want to protect your FI car, then put a hidden switch in the fuel pump power liine. The car will start and immediately die when the fuel pressure goes away.

Plus, I would rig an ignition coil to the drivers seat cushion that only gets power if the fuel pump switch is turned off. Then if the thief starts the car without the switch on, the car starts and he gets the shit shocked out of him until the fuel pressure goes away. happy11.gif

bd1308
i like grounding out the tach signal.....that looks nifty. time to break out the real tiny tiny switches wink.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 08:04 AM)
i like grounding out the tach signal.....that looks nifty. time to break out the real tiny tiny switches wink.gif

I know a guy with a vintage 57 Chevy that put a hidden fuse holder in the positive circuit to the coil, and then rigged a ground switch for the positive side of the coil .

He said that it would keep the car from running, and if someone tried to hotwire his car by running a wire from the battery to the positive side of the coil they would get a REALLY hot wire. happy11.gif

The trick to not having your car stolen is to make it a harder target than the one down the street. Most of the suggestions here will only deter the punk kids who just want to go joyriding. You can't stop the pro who has an order that matches your car. He will get it no matter what you do.

Car thiefs are one of my pet peeves. ar15.gif

Eric_Shea
What's a /4 and what's this FI stuff you guys are talking about? huh.gif
Jeroen
steeringwheel with a quick release...

Mr.Bean style laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
keep the car on jack stands in the garage... Mine's been like that for almost 2 years, and no one's stolen it! biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 25 2005, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 25 2005, 07:23 AM)

finger.gif

THE SMILEY MEANS I WAS KIDDING.

i don't use them much.

usually, just to show that I AM KIDDING.

MFI cars, of course, are worth protecting :-)

------------------------------------------------------^ [ smiley ]

have a good holiday, y'all. no smiley. i mean it ...
Eric_Shea

agree.gif

Kinda makes the keychain hard to get into your pocket at the mall.

(is that a steering wheel in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?) mueba.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 25 2005, 02:11 AM)
Park in the garage like I do. [...] Keep it fully insured.

agree.gif

Also about the real pro will get your car no matter what...try not to park it near 10th and Tibbs and you don't need to worry about joyriding punks either

scotty914
i liked the idea of a 110 db peizo siren in the car, but hook it a hidden switch and the ign. when the try to start the car their ears bleed. if you mounted it in a dash vent and hid the switch real well and they did get it running they wont go far till the give up from the pain happy11.gif
sjhowitson
The best one that I have ever used is the removable steering wheel. I have a MOMO wheel with a quick release hub. Worked great in my opinion. Feels strange bring my wheel into work and have a special place for it in my living room. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
I believe (from my rock band days) that 135dB is the threshold of pain. 150dB might cause a rupture aktion035.gif
xitspd
One of these! cool.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 25 2005, 09:26 AM)
i liked the idea of a 110 db peizo siren in the car, but hook it a hidden switch and the ign. when the try to start the car their ears bleed. if you mounted it in a dash vent and hid the switch real well and they did get it running they wont go far till the give up from the pain happy11.gif

I'm putting a kill switch in, with a piezo in each air vent, and another in each of the side targa bars. It's like $45 worth of parts, but will really freak the shit out of someone if they get into it, and start tearing at stuff.

I agree with others though...if someone has an order for the car, it won't matter.

But then again, who hires a theif to steal a 914?
Teknon
Tesla coil works too. Plus you can see who it is, in the morning. w00t.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 25 2005, 06:46 AM)
I agree with others though...if someone has an order for the car, it won't matter.

But then again, who hires a theif to steal a 914?

yeah we can't really do anything about that one. but, noone knows what a 914 is, so the likely hood is very low lol2.gif
brer
yea, i like the removeable wheel idea if i didn't have a cool wheel sitting here waiting to go on it.

I was dreaming about a locking collar for the parking brake button.

Anyone remember the locking shift mechanism in the 356? Gene Berg makes them for the VW Beetle, would be cool if someone adapted that. (hint)

Maybe i'll buy a big snake to keep under the seat. smile.gif

happy friday,

b.
meares
where do you get the quick release hubs?
brer
this is the factory VW shift lock if you're not familiar with one.

This is the standard VW locking device that was originally offered by VW for convertibles. It installs on the factory sedan shifter shaft. It maintains the stock shifter travel and will not fit any aftermarket shifters.
Demick
I like the shiftlock idea. I don't worry about someone stealing my car (I think most 914's are unlikely targets), but I do sometimes worry about vandalism. Mostly in the case when I leave it parked with the top off I worry about some punks taking it out of gear and letting off the parking brake and pushing or letting it roll into something or another car. The shiftlock would take care of that.

Usually I'll try to park next to a curb and lock the wheel so that the car cannot easily be moved - but I can't always do that.

Demick
bondo
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 25 2005, 07:25 AM)

agree.gif

Kinda makes the keychain hard to get into your pocket at the mall.

(is that a steering wheel in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?) mueba.gif

Yes, and it's driving me nuts! lol2.gif
rhodyguy
they WILL take them out of the garage. i know that first hand. if the car is set up like my avatar, it's never leaving.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.