Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arm Shaft ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gear Drive
I am in progress of restoring an ex-race car 914. Cleaning suspension parts and making a shopping list.
Trailing arm pivot shafts are both way less than smooth where the bushings contact the shaft.
I am considering fabricating my own shafts from 4130 tubing, but before I order the stock to do that I wonder what others do?
I cant seem to find any stock shafts available from the 'regular' suppliers, plenty of aftermarket suspension kits that include the shafts.

I am planning on using bushings from PMB, and installing a 'zerk' fitting so having the urethane contacting the bare 4130 shouldnt be an issue when lubed (as in no chrome plating needed)

I even have the option of making the wall thickness a bit thicker....

Any help appreciated, thanks to all.
ChrisFoley
AFAIK, I sell the only available replacement pivot shafts.
They can be found on my suspension webpage.
Tangerine Racing
914_teener
I have done mine exactly as you plan sans the 4130. Mine is set up with stock suspension. Had it this way for almost three years no issues.

Go for it.
ConeDodger
Eric Shea at PMB sent me some a few years back. Not sure where he gets/got them...
MikeM
A couple of years ago I got some beauties from Bruce Stone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.