Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rain tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
halmil
I need to replace the engine compartment rain tray on my 1973 2.0 liter. 914rubber has a part which they describe as for "early" 914s. Will this fit my 73?
Tom_T
FYI - both early & late style trays will fit any 70-76 914.

The late style added a ridge & a couple of troughs to strengthen the plastic trays from warping & drooping over time from the heat of the engine.

If yours is a DD &/or possibly used in the rain, then you'll want the late tray.

That's because early trays would warp L & R between the mounting screws on the forward edge, then a heavy enough rain would pour onto your firewall, get behind the pad, & then cause rust on the firewall & engine tin lip. Don't ask me how I know! dry.gif

The early style tray has a smooth bottom, & Porsche superceded them after the problems with the early ones, so they've been NLA as new parts for a couple of decades.

914Rubber's repro is a shiny fiberglass material IIRC - so it may not be what you want if you're doing a fully concours 914 resto, unless you shoot it with a matte or flat black paint to repro the OE look.

However, IIRC Mark had them done with more stiffness so that they won't warp - but you need to PM, email or call him at 914Rubber to check on that. Mark & I discussed this reinforcement need when he was going to start on them, but I don't know if they did so.

If the 914Rubber ones are reinforced so that they won't warp, then that would be okay for a DD or car used in rain.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
halmil
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your advice. The car is NOT a DD nor do I hope to be caught in the rain. A friend commented that I don't drive it if there is a cloud in the sky. Yourself being in Cali, you know we have lots of time to drive and avoid the rain!

I have sent an email to Mark asking about this.

Regards,
Hal
Mikey914
I will have the late soon. If you can hold out for about2 weeks I can get you one.
halmil
Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding. I can surely wait. Please let me know when you are ready and I can provide my information for the purchase.

Regards,
Hal
914Sixer
Someone has already made the late trays, maybe URO ? I can't remember where I saw them for about $100.
Mikey914
Maybe, but friends do let friends buy URO. I have the early CW appropriate tray in about 2 weeks for the early and the late will nbe ready after. As I recall they only did the late and did the early guys no good on the 6s, as the carbs would hit as it's was slightly deeper.
johnhora
I have an OEM late rain tray if needed...includes original mounting hardware. Can send pics if interested.
914Sixer
NO rain tray on -6. Also much lighter torsion springs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.