Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light/horn grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
fsh2liv
I have a corroded set. I saw a set sell on the parts forum. They had been powder coated. I inquired into this at a local shop. He said they couldn't be being that they are plastic and couldn't be baked. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(fsh2liv @ Mar 17 2016, 06:23 PM) *

I have a corroded set. I saw a set sell on the parts forum. They had been powder coated. I inquired into this at a local shop. He said they couldn't be being that they are plastic and couldn't be baked. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I have a set that were beautifully re-done 15+ years ago by a company in Canada. he reproduced the factory suppliers process, which is frought with really nasty chemicals. Unfortunately, I believe they are gone because of environmental issues.
Except for very early grills (which were metal) these are plastic and will melt in an oven. You have three choices:
1. Strip and re-finish with paint
2. Buy replacements. These are NOT Porsche parts, and usually don't have the sheen of the originals but may be a more viable approach.
3. Advertise for NOS parts. They are out there. You just have to pry them away from the owners. Some are pristine. Some are usable and presentable. Put a wanted ad out there & go from there.
fsh2liv
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 17 2016, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(fsh2liv @ Mar 17 2016, 06:23 PM) *

Thanks

I have a set that were beautifully re-done 15+ years ago by a company in Canada. he reproduced the factory suppliers process, which is frought with really nasty chemicals. Unfortunately, I believe they are gone because of environmental issues.
Except for very early grills (which were metal) these are plastic and will melt in an oven. You have three choices:
1. Strip and re-finish with paint
2. Buy replacements. These are NOT Porsche parts, and usually don't have the sheen of the originals but may be a more viable approach.
3. Advertise for NOS parts. They are out there. You just have to pry them away from the owners. Some are pristine. Some are usable and presentable. Put a wanted ad out there & go from there.

thanks for your suggestions.
flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.