Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk Lip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gaz914
Got a chance to do some more patching of the '14 today.
Here is a pic of the front trunk after I removed all the bondo some time ago.

IPB Image

At the time I got really scared and never thought I could fix it.
Thanks to the helpful pictures and encouragement here, I am tackling this like a pro!

IPB Image

Now the channel on the left of the part I cut out looked OK and you can see where I POR15'd some of it when I did the front fender.

IPB Image

But then I noticed there seemed to be some rust forming between the metal parts and decided to investigate.

IPB Image

You can see that the POR15 hasn't penetrated, although it adhered really well to the exposed metal.

IPB Image

This is what it looks like now.

IPB Image

I am not planning on using the factory seal - I will make something else fit.
The question is why do I need to add the "lip" on the front?
Would leaving it off mean that water ran away from there and helps prevent the rust coming back?

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
GAZ
SpecialK
I didn't even think about it until I saw the pic of the front with the outer lip removed, but all that lip does is make a nice little trough for water to sit in and work it's magic on your metal. I'd say leave it off to allow the water to drain away....unless you're into that "concourse" look. With the bumper in place, whose going to see it.........hell, I'm going to take mine off while the car's apart.. smash.gif
Eric_Shea
I'm tackling this next. I think all teeners have this problem, even the rust free ones. We have a local metal fabrication shop. I'm going to take measurements and head down there today. For about $10.00 they'll bend a custom channel for you (roughly 3-4 ft. worth). I'm going to remove the back lip as well and weld the channel in place.

Seriously, on that front piece, you may be able to get by without that front lip. The bumper strip may hold the weatherstripping into place... confused24.gif
gaz914
Oh well, looks like it stays without the lip.
If I ever get the car finished, I will let everyone know if its a good idea rolleyes.gif
Rusty
I would try to reconstruct the lip... it holds the seal in place, which helps keep wind and moisture from blowing into that area, especially at speed.

-Rusty smoke.gif
jd74914
You could probably put the lip on, and drill a few holes in it to let water out if you are concerned about that.
GaroldShaffer
I have some rust repair to do on the channel along my headlight buckets on both sides. When the time comes to repair this I was thinking of notching out the outer lip edge by the bottom next to the headlight buckets so water would run out of the channel and drain and not pool in the channel.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.