Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another newbie looking for advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
hello from minneapolis, i need a hand with my toy. it's a '74 dual carb 1.8 in pretty good shape.
•i want new rubber for my stock 15" wheels. the manual says they're 5.5"j, what's the biggest i should try to put on them?
•the weld for the rear trunk mount is broken, so the trunk is not level. options? anyone local want to swing by with their torch?
•how's the nord stern group? worth joining?

thanks
Common opinion is to fit 205's at most on those rims. Stick with 50 profile.

Cant help with the rest.
lotus_65
hey, thanks! i'd be looking more towards 195 60 or 65 to keep from making the well look too barren. but maybe i'd start rubbing something...
anyone?
scotty914
if you are worried about rubbing go to 195 65 or 60, close to stock diameter

as for the trunk hinge, go the the resources page a memeber make a bolt in replacement pivot

nord stern who ? confused24.gif
JoeSharp
Welcome to the Club. First off thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Stock steel wheels? I'm not sure, but most of us try to put 205 on. If you have the 2L wheels 205s should fit. It seems that the wheel wells very from car to car. I had a car that 165 70s rubed on.
Don't let anybody work on your car that you can't trust completly.
Who is the nord stern group? If you are looking for info on 914 or just want to fallow an automotive soap. You have found a home. Just read here.
And don't forget Pictures Are Mandatory.
biggrin.gif Joe
lotus_65
right on, scott. (btw, that's been my preferred tissue for years, bro [tmi?])
i'll look up the bolt-in info. looks great.

nord stern is the midwest porsche (official?) club.
TheCabinetmaker
205s on stock wheels work just fine on most cars. 50s are too small for a street car. I have 205/50s now, but will go back to 60s. My speedo is way off, gas mileage, dropped 20 %, and 80mph is 4000rmp instead of 3400. mad.gif screwy.gif

Is nord stern a relative of Howard's?
maf914
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 25 2005, 06:10 AM)
as for the trunk hinge, go the the resources page a memeber make a bolt in replacement pivot

Try the following for James Adams bolt in hinge repair pieces.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=11581
rick 918-S
My car is flared so I can't help with stock tire size. There are a growing number of other guys in the Metro. If this thread stays up top long enough a few will respond. We just ha a small gathering at Hooters. If you can't find someone close with a welder I may be able to put you intouch with a friend of mine. He's about 5 mile north from 494 off of 100. He has a mig in his garage and the talent to fix the mount. You may want to disconnect the torsion spring for now. The stress may cause the mou8nt to break off completely. This is a common problem.

I've had my car like 15 years but never joined the local PCA. I don't know any of those guys.

BTW: Welcome! wavey.gif and Post a pic of your ride! aktion035.gif

And here's what you missed!hooters and chappy's place
lotus_65
all right, joe, you asked for it. this is all i've got at this point for pics. the car came from missouri-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/paul_bellefleur/

if the cost for the carbs means anything, trust is an issue!

i'd bet they're not 2.0 wheels, so i'll look into 195's. i was already on the cusp of that descision.

i feel at home, where's the coffee?
TheCabinetmaker
Riviera wheels. Better go with 195s or they will most likely rub.
JoeSharp
agree.gif Yeah! What they said. You did your first post 5:41. Are you getting what you were looking for. This board is going very slow now, its still early. Sometimes if there is a hot topic you can't read fast enough to keep up.
biggrin.gif Joe
lotus_65
my wheels are fuches, right?

how about stock-looking fog lights? mine are trashed... i don't mind mods, i don't see this car as original any longer.
TheCabinetmaker
Like I said before, those are rivieras, not Fuchs.
lotus_65
thanks for straightening me out everyone. v cool.

i would REALLY love to cruise to whitmore lake in august. i was born in detroit, and my mom lives near whitmore. i spent many a high school day swimming and boating on that pond, but i'll be working... unless...
msglaigaie
You are using black paint. cool. It allows the vehicle four extra horsepower and an extra five to six mph. I, too, use 15" rivy's with pirelli 9000's. It "looks" like they would want to rub, but they do not. Nice use of a reflector. Never seen it done that way mate. cool.
MSG L
lotus_65
QUOTE (msglaigaie @ Mar 25 2005, 10:01 AM)
You are using black paint. cool. It allows the vehicle four extra horsepower and an extra five to six mph. I, too, use 15" rivy's with pirelli 9000's. It "looks" like they would want to rub, but they do not. Nice use of a reflector. Never seen it done that way mate. cool.
MSG L

thanks for the dap for the reflector. unfortunately, i had to remove it because a couple of bolts snapped, and started wagging on one side. the last thing i want is loose parts, just loose chicks! (did i type that out loud?)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 25 2005, 06:16 AM)
I had a car that 165 70s rubed on.

While it's true that all 914s seem to vary a bit, chances are that the car mentioned had VW Bug wheels on it. They sit waaaaay far out in the fenders and you usually can't fit anything wider than 165 under stock 914 fenders.

Lotus (if that's your real name!! wink.gif ) , you can check your current wheels and tires to get some idea of what will fit. If you have 165s on there currently, you can fit 195s if you have about 15mm (about 3/4") on each side of the tire before it hits the inner or outer fender. However, things move under load--so you should probably budget an extra 1/4" (to maybe 1/2" if you're feeling pessimistic) for "stuff happening", so if you've got 1" to 1 1/4" clearance, you should be fine for 195s. Add another 1/4" to each side for 205s.

--DD
seanery
I'm not a big riviera fan, but I remember there being different offsets, some bug, some 914...if they are bug wheels 185s may be as big as you can go....can someone back me up or refute me on this one? confused24.gif
Rhodes71/914
FWIW I just put 195/60's on my car and they seem like a good all around size. Course I have diff. wheels.

Oh yeah, welcome to the club, now you'll get nothing done.
ConeDodger
Hey Lotus,
I grew up in the Minneapolis St. Paul area, sort of... Lake Elmo, Hobby farm. Nord Stern is the upper midwest division of PCA. Pretty decent bunch of guys. They appreciate 914s if they have been around Porsche long. Some new guys think the 914 lacks exclusivity... Hmmm....

As the other guys have already told you, you have Riviera wheels. They have a bit of a positive offset and this will give you a problem with the 205 wheels. Fuchs can be found for around $100 - 125. a wheel.

I would steer you more toward the Minnesota Autosports Club. Autocrossing maniacs. They will definately appreciate a 914 member.

If you tell me what part of town you live in I might be able to steer you toward a decent shop or two. The old Dune Buggy Supply in Hopkins being one. I bet Bill Jenkins the retired owner could build a half dozen 914s with the parts he has stashed...

Rob
lotus_65
914 lacks exclusivity... Hmmm....

yea, i figured it might be a bunch of 911's and such.

As the other guys have already told you...

i'm going with 195 60's. hopefully it will be a good compromise.

Minnesota Autosports Club.

i'll check up on them.

If you tell me what part of town you live in

uptown. i had john$on auto$port in $hakopee do the carb$. ouch! any help there would be great.

thanks, rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.