Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stat - Good thing I ordered a new one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
I was just planning to replace the cable on my thermostat when I figured that the 40 year old unit was probably at end of life. Here is the new one (left) next to the old.

Click to view attachment
Bulldog9
I bought one of these from Awesome powder coat, it is stuck closed, doesn't open at all. Thankfully It was part of my rebuild so I was paying careful attention to the thermostat to adjust it properly.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 19 2016, 01:12 PM) *

I bought one of these from Awesome powder coat, it is stuck closed, doesn't open at all. Thankfully It was part of my rebuild so I was paying careful attention to the thermostat to adjust it properly.

Good to know That is where I got mine. Will test it first. Did he replace the bad one?
Mark Henry
If you test it make sure it's in the factory mount, overextending it will ruin it.

Note that the old one has failed in the open position. They are designed so if they fail they fail in the open position.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 20 2016, 09:27 AM) *

If you test it make sure it's in the factory mount, overextending it will ruin it.

Note that the old one has failed in the open position. They are designed so if they fail they fail in the open position.

What causes them the fail in this way...metal fatigue ?,just interested to know.
colingreene
I hate awesome powdercoat, that guy is a complete dick.
I am pretty sure i got mine from aircooled.net
Amphicar770
Just tested it on the stove and all seems good.

Yes, keeping it in the bracket is a very critical piece of info missing in the Ratwell test description. I think my old one was probably serviceable until I tested it without the bracket.
Bleyseng
I was lucky to find a NOS one but Highperfomancehouse still had quite a few good used ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.