Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 v-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LongARM
has anyone done a v6 Vortec in a 914..??
Mueller
yes.....it's pretty much just like doing the V8 conversion except you don;t have to have the special water pump and harmnic balancer...so it can be done a little cheaper.

as far as I know, no one makes the engine brackets for it, but it's not too hard to look at how they are done on the V8 conversions and copy/modify the design.

LongARM
Thanks for reply.. so many v8's done i was just wondering beer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (LongARM @ Mar 25 2005, 08:04 AM)
Thanks for reply.. so many v8's done i was just wondering beer.gif

comes down to "bang for the buck"

it's cheaper to extract horsepower from the V8, so most people go for the V8 since it's just a few hundred bucks more to do so.....

a 200hp V6 is going to be plenty fun in a 914, but if you can have 300hp for a little more work/money then most poeple go for it smile.gif
datapace
I've also hear the V6 is *much* harder on the drivetrain. Fewer fireing impulses per crankshaft revolution, not as evened out as the V8 Keep that in mind if you are wanting to go high HP.

May be urban legend, but the explanation made sense to me at the time.

-Bryan
Tom73
Since the 4.3 is basicly the V8 less two cylinders it would seem that it would bolt up just like the V8, all same mounts, but still be able to use the factory accessory mounts, be lighter in weight, and easier fit, and still deliver more than twice the HP of any stock 914 engine. I would think that would be the way to go.

One that perks my interest is using the 3.0/3.5 out of a Nissan Z car. smile.gif That seems like it would make a nice package.

tom...
skline
When I first started back into 914's about 5 years ago, there was one for sale in the recycler. It was a Chalon with a 4.3 liter V6 conversion. It was exactly what I was looking for. The car was thrashed and looked like hell so I didnt buy it. But the thing ran really good and would smoke the tires through 3rd gear with no problem. I also saw a VW van at the Pomona swap meet back then that had the same engine in it. That thing sounded incredible. I like the 4.3 liter and with over the counter mods you can get about 280 HP out of them. The van would pull wheelies and lift the tires going into second.
914GT
QUOTE (datapace @ Mar 25 2005, 08:47 AM)
I've also hear the V6 is *much* harder on the drivetrain. Fewer fireing impulses per crankshaft revolution, not as evened out as the V8 Keep that in mind if you are wanting to go high HP.

-Bryan

I've heard this one too. Someone once posted a pretty convincing technical argument for it. What doesn't make sense to me - why a high-HP/torque 914/6 is great but a V6 is bad. Or if a 6 is worse than an 8, than a 4 should be worse yet, especially one of those big displacement stroker type IVs. If a V6 had significantly more low-end torque than a 914/6 than I might tend to agree, but is that really the situation? Maybe someone can post torque curves comparing 914/6's with some of the stock GM V6 engines.
skline
My new neighbor has a 914 with a Buick 3800 installed and he is even running the factory FI and computer with it. Hopefully I can talk him into joining the club. He is supposed to be coming to the BBQ next weekend. Maybe he will have some specs for it. It shure looks like it fits well in his engine bay.
LongARM
Thanx for the input.
I thought 4.3l Vortec would be a nice weight to hp transfer and easier to work around.
Mod chips are available to up the hp, and a nice dependable engine too.
headbang.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (LongARM @ Mar 25 2005, 12:25 PM)
Thanx for the input.
I thought 4.3l Vortec would be a nice weight to hp transfer and easier to work around.
Mod chips are available to up the hp, and a nice dependable engine too.
headbang.gif

The V6 is not bad, I wouldn't worry about the goofy harmonics and such...the main reason the V6 is not as popular from the conversion companies is that the old V6 motors had balance issues, people complained so the V6 option was dropped....I'd say go for it....look how V6 motors are installed in brand new vehicles everyday.

Kennedy Engineering Products can supply the correct adapter plate and flywheel, Renegade/Rod Simpson/Desert Hybrids can supply the radiator and hoses...not sure if you need the transmission mounts or not, I'd have to say no on that due the V6 being shorter, but I honestly don't know the correct answer to that.

bondo
QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 25 2005, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (datapace @ Mar 25 2005, 08:47 AM)
I've also hear the V6 is *much* harder on the drivetrain.  Fewer fireing impulses per crankshaft revolution, not as evened out as the V8  Keep that in mind if you are wanting to go high HP.

-Bryan

I've heard this one too. Someone once posted a pretty convincing technical argument for it. What doesn't make sense to me - why a high-HP/torque 914/6 is great but a V6 is bad. Or if a 6 is worse than an 8, than a 4 should be worse yet, especially one of those big displacement stroker type IVs. If a V6 had significantly more low-end torque than a 914/6 than I might tend to agree, but is that really the situation? Maybe someone can post torque curves comparing 914/6's with some of the stock GM V6 engines.

My understanding is that the big porsche sixes require stepping up to the 915. I think the smaller sixes don't make as much torque as an american V6. Not sure about the big 4s, maybe they just aren't big enough yet smile.gif
scotty914
screw chevy stuff, do a modern type 4... suby 2.5 liter 200 horses is easy. and it fits like it was made for it
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 25 2005, 12:32 PM)
[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that the big porsche sixes require stepping up to the 915. I think the smaller sixes don't make as much torque as an american V6. Not sure about the big 4s, maybe they just aren't big enough yet smile.gif

if people are running 300+ horsepower 300+ ft lb tq motors in front of a stock 901, then a smaller V6 will be fine....the transmission is not going to blow up just like that....

the real issue of the V6 or V8 battle is due to ego and the "bigger is better" mentality smile.gif

there will always be someone saying you should have done this, or you should have done that.....don't worry about it and run what you want
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (Tom73 @ Mar 25 2005, 08:26 AM)
One that perks my interest is using the 3.0/3.5 out of a Nissan Z car. smile.gif That seems like it would make a nice package.

tom...

Check out Chris Primm's (sp?) 3.0 Maxima-powered 914,
http://nissan6.914resources.com/
LongARM
i like that subaru arrangement Scott. What is that 2.5l out of.???
i don't know Subaru's at all.. welder.gif
riverman
I think that that with most conversions it comes down to resources. I looked around because I thought I wanted to do a v-6 too, but when it comes right down to it, there is all kinds of stuff (kits, parts, and info.) for v-8's. It simply became "easier" to go the v-8 route. I have all the respect in the world for someone who wants to try something new, but right now I don't have the technical expertise to "go it alone". If I did, I think I would try a SHO v-6 conversion. Maybe next time.
LongARM
Hey riverman .... the 914 4 runs real nice in cold canadian air ....ehhhh
nice project ....i look at all your pics so far..
waiting for my garage to warm up a
bit now,,, boldblue.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (LongARM @ Mar 25 2005, 05:06 PM)
i like that subaru arrangement Scott. What is that 2.5l out of.???
i don't know Subaru's at all.. welder.gif

Dunno where exactly Scott got his engine, but the 2.5 non-turbo four is and was used on a number of Subaru models (there are only 5 or 6). The appeal of the Soob engines is they're still flat engines, so they fit easily, and they're all as light or lighter than the Type 4. You can get just about anything from a 1.8 non-turbo of 100ish HP to a 300hp 2.5 twin-turbo. The 2.2 and 2.5 non-turbos seem to be robust, inexpensive engines in the 140-160hp range. Prices run from $500 to $1500 depending on where you get it and how much mileage is on them.

Google for Subaru and Vanagon and you'll find lots of info on Subaru engine swaps that's adaptable to the 914.

dbledsoe
I'm smack in the middle of a Buick V6 conversion into my 75 914. It is a V3800 out of 1988 Olds Delta 88, front wheel drive car. Lots of problems because of my choice of engine, but I am going with it in spite of those problems (like a dsitributorless engine, serpintine belt system I can't use, headers are a problem to find, and engine mounting bolt locations on the engine are not symetrical). I'm dumping the V3800 FI in favor of an Edelbrock manifold and Holley 4bbl carb. The V6 to Porsche transaxle adapter is on order from Kennedy Engineering. Everything else I'll figure out myself.

I am sick and tired of the perpetual type 4 oil leaker that breaks continually, which is my reason for going the Buick V6 route. My suggestions, after my recent experience, would be to go with a 78 to 82 Buick even fire V6 engine with a distributor and real V belts for driving the water pump and alternator. Of course, the newer Buick V6 front wheel drive engines have better heads (better flow) and other features to recommend them, but require additional considerations and cost.

That's my story.

Don
LvSteveH
Actually the buick 3.8L even-fire is available all the way up to 87 in the Grand National. It's a very nice engine and contrary to popular belief, they are very smooth reving, it's the 70's odd-fire setup that had vibration issues.

If built properly figure on 200hp, perfect fit in the 914 engine bay, and plenty of room for an a/c compressor. I'll have one for sale in the next couple weeks. If someone wants all out insane power, I'd still go with the 350, but for being fast and fun to drive without so much power that the trans and CV's are pressed to their limit, the V6 is hard to beat.

I've heard some people say that a V8 is easier on the trans because there are more torque pulses in an 8cy than a 6cy or a 4 for that matter, but I'm not buying it. I think most failures are due to raw torque and the forces at hand overcoming the physical limitations of the parts in question.
Mueller
My suggestions, after my recent experience, would be to go with a 78 to 82 Buick even fire V6 engine with a distributor

I think the 4.3 Chevy would be a better choice, more modern, you can find one with very low miles and tons of support for it.....

I was going to do the Buick V6 swap until I started to add up the costs to rebuild the motor...sold it all to a fellow member who used parts of it for his daily driver.
scotty914
as for my engine its a 98 legacy with 60 k miles. one reason for the choose was the way it fit, the fact that its not too much for the tranny. i am using a stock clutch that is holding 160 lbs of torque in first gear full throttle accelerations. here is the stock torque/ hp chart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.