Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck in 3rd gear, tail shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bonzer5
Hey guys!

I've been meaning to do some sort of an intro since I've been lurking enough. Didn't see any threads on this topic, so two birds eh?

This is my '70 /4. Pretty good, fairly original car. Looking forward to someday building up the engine, side shift conversion and some suspension/brakes to match the package.

For now it's basically a good driver.

So it's stuck in third. I just had the firewall shift shaft bushing go out, so 3 weeks ago I went through and replaced them all. Since being stuck in 3rd gear, I've reinspected all the linkage and all looks sound.

The cause is likely my poor choice in giving my mother in law a go in the car and not pointing out to be more gentle. Eeek! Just practicing the shift pattern before she drove. I felt the gear selecter get stiffer and wonky, then stuck! She bought a bug instead of 914 in 1975, so it was a nice gesture on my part which I don't regret, yet!

So linkage is all good. I understand there are internal shift arms that might be able to be re-aligned on the 901 trains. But I have no real knowledge of making the correction or how detailed an opposition it is.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment,, joke or help!
r_towle
Is it still stuck in gear?

If yes, remove shifter arm from tranny and see if you can shift by hand from underneath the car.
Visualize is from the back, you will get it.

bonzer5
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2016, 08:44 PM) *

Is it still stuck in gear?

If yes, remove shifter arm from tranny and see if you can shift by hand from underneath the car.
Visualize is from the back, you will get it.

Thanks man! Still stuck. I went ahead and unbolted the shift arm bracket, lifted up the arm and attempted to select gears, or get out of third rather, no luck. Still in the third gear.

Yhis 100% confirms the transmission is stuck internally in 3rd.

Anyone have a remedy?

Maybe that side shifter is coming sooner than I thought! biggrin.gif

bonzer5
Hey guys. I thought I'd give this one bump.

I've read about a plate underneath the trams where when removed, shafts or forks can be re-aligned. Maybe it's that plate fastened by 2ea 13mm nuts. Although, I'm not confident enough to drain the fluid and go poking around.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks so much!
jcd914
Refer to the Pelican Parts exploded view in the link.

Pelican Parts 914 Tail Shifter exploded view

Remove cover #9 in the following image, you should be able to see where the shift lever #14 engages and moves each of the 3 shift rods. Using a large screw driver or pry bar you maybe able to get all 3 rods lined up in neutral again.

Been too many years since I've opened a tail shifter.

Good luck
Jim
rhodyguy
Note #11. It's a rolled pin. When it breaks you have little or no control on #14. They can partially fail and you wind up with a vague shift pattern that might only work in one forward/aft plane. You'll need a new gasket for the access plate when you remove it. Drain the trans lube first. There will still be some lube above the plate. Don't over tighten when you put it back on. You might build in a leak.
bonzer5
Thanks so much fellas. This is awesome! I'll let know you if I pull it off.
bonzer5
I'm not making out 3 shift rods to line up. Here's a photo. What exactly should I be trying to line up?
jcd914
Tail Shift exploded view

Well, Like I said it has been awhile.

OK, on the driver side of the trans is and oval-ish cover held on by 2 nuts.
Remove it and you can access the 3 shift rods.
The cover has a fork mounted it.

The cover is # 20 in the exploded view.
The shift rods are #35, #39 & #43.
The rod you can now see is #35A.

Jim

bonzer5
No worries! I appreciate the help. Got enough gasket material for both plates. And thanks for the quick response. I didn't even take the car off the stands yet.

So the selector that fits in between the shift shaft groove popped out, likely from my mother in law forcing gears.

I moved the top shaft to the rear and while gently pushing the middle shaft I was able to slide the ball back inbetween the grooves. Stoked!!!!!!

I'll post some photos later.

Pretty fun getting into things you've never seen. Thanks so much Jim!
bonzer5
Before:Click to view attachment

After:Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.