Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compatible Parts Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps

Could/Should we have a (nailed?) thread of compatible parts from other models/years.

eg:

Brakes: '73-'89 911 front ends are the ones you'd want for a swap to a 914. '65-'68 911/912 front ends are to be avoided.

Hubs:
944 front hubs will work with the right machining, but only these years.

ect, ect...

I understand that I can search for all that info, but rather than combing through hundreds of threads that may/may not be named well enough for us to find...if we had a central thread to look for this stuff on, it might be helpful. Just a place that we can all post things we find.

Or maybe I'm looking for something that should be a spreadsheet?

Or MAYBE, I should shut the F#$% up and get back to work on my car so I can actually DRIVE it this spring.
azbill
A VERY good idea smilie_pokal.gif. BUT, who has time to compile all the information. A spread sheet most likely would work the best.
Mueller
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 25 2005, 07:57 AM)
Could/Should we have a (nailed?) thread of compatible parts from other models/years.

eg:

Brakes: '73-'89 911 front ends are the ones you'd want for a swap to a 914. '65-'68 911/912 front ends are to be avoided.

Hubs:
944 front hubs will work with the right machining, but only these years.

ect, ect...

I understand that I can search for all that info, but rather than combing through hundreds of threads that may/may not be named well enough for us to find...if we had a central thread to look for this stuff on, it might be helpful. Just a place that we can all post things we find.

Or maybe I'm looking for something that should be a spreadsheet?

Or MAYBE, I should shut the F#$% up and get back to work on my car so I can actually DRIVE it this spring.

people are too lazy to read the FAQ's....every single week we get the same questions: which transmission for a V8 car, what size rims, what size tires, fuel injection or carbs......

noble idea, but it won't stop the lazy people from asking due to them not knowing how to search
CptTripps
You all don't know me well enough to know that I'm FULL of noble, yet impossible ideas. wink.gif

tat2dphreak
you know a list that would be helpful? a list of VW(or any non-porsche) parts(other than t4 engine parts, duh!) that fit on the 914(and modifications to MAKE them work smash.gif) ... for us cheap bastards... biggrin.gif

example:
door cranks for beetles work! smile.gif

Eric_Shea
I like 69-73 911 front ends. Get them complete with the hubs and you'll have no problems. The only issues with the earlier (69-71) front ends is the ball joints. For 911's the switch to the newer style was 1972. For 914's it was 1973. So best bet, 72-73 911 front suspensions.

With the later front suspensions you'll have under-body sway bar attachments. You'll have to do a bit of metal work to grind off those tabs and weld on U-tabs for a proper 914 thru-body style bar.

With later SC front suspensions you'll get the desirable 3.5" caliper ear mounts so... many people go this route vs. trying to find an early 911 Koni or Bilstein set with both later ball joints and the 3.5" mounting ears. So:

69-71 Regular - Vented rotors, M-Calipers, bolt right up. Thru body sway bar mounts. Less desirable ball joints.
69-71 Sport (Koni or Bilstein) - Vented rotors, S-Calipers (3.5" Spacing), bolt right up. Thru body sway bar mounts. Less desirable ball joints.

72-73 Regular - Vented rotors, M-Calipers, bolt right up. Thru body sway bar mounts.
72-73 Sport (Koni or Bilstein) - Vented rotors, S-Calipers (3.5" Spacing), bolt right up. Thru body sway bar mounts.

74-77 Regular - Vented rotors, M-Calipers, bolt right up. Less desirable under body sway bar mounts.
74-77 Sport (Koni or Bilstein) - Vented rotors, S-Calipers (3.5" Spacing), bolt right up. Less desirable under body sway bar mounts.

78-89 SC - Vented rotors, A-Calipers (3.5" Spacing), bolt right up. Less desirable under body sway bar mounts.
Jeroen
post the info here and we'll make it a "classic"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.