Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Festival of Speed 2016
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
http://www.zone8.org/events/speedfestival.php

15th Annual California Festival of Speed. The Largest Porsche Event in the Southwest.
April 8-10, 2016. 9 AM - 5 PM. Auto Club Speedway. 9300 Cherry Avenue, Fontana, CA 92335

The California Festival of Speed is the Porsche enthusiasts dream weekend. Club Race, Time Trial, Swap meet, Porsche Corral, Porsches For Sale, Porsche Timeline Display, Vendor Row, Track Tours, Friends, Fun and all things Porsche. Need we say more? This event has race cars, show cars, it can even have your car! See the cars, meet the drivers and experience the excitement!

Free Admission. Just show up and enjoy the fun! Don't forget to bring your Porsche and $10 Parking fee!

Click to view attachment

I plan to be there with my hard top mid-engine non-NARP coupe. shades.gif

icon14.gif Is anybody up for dinner on Saturday night? chowtime.gif
Cuda911
I'll be there. Racing the Boxste'
914_teener
I.m in John.

76-914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 19 2016, 02:24 PM) *

I'll be there. Racing the Boxste'

av-943.gif Love your roundel. Is that from the Fillmore West or Armadillo World Headquarters?
Cuda911
smile.gif Designed it myself!
SKL1
Went a couple years ago with my son- good time but can't make it this year... sad.gif
Elliot Cannon
I've been there many times in the past. Always a good time. The down side is, they won't let you as close to the track anymore for picture taking. The up side is, you can drive your own car on the track for a donation. It was 5 laps for 20 dollars if I remember correctly. 120mph on the high banking. driving.gif Way cool. They used to have a Porsche swap meet. There will also be lots of vendors. I hope I can make it. If I come down, I will definitely be there for dinner Saturday.
Cheers, Elliot
Tom_T
It should be a good time.

No Concours this year, but there will be a 911/930 Turbo's Timeline!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
7TPorsh
Click to view attachment

I want to go just to take a pic like this with my car....probably be too crowded.

What's the swap meet area like? I'm sure there are a lot of high end vendors in vendor row. But how about the swap?
Steve
I bought a 914 front chrome bumper there and other crap. Definitely more expensive than G&R pricing.
914_teener
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 22 2016, 06:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I want to go just to take a pic like this with my car....probably be too crowded.

What's the swap meet area like? I'm sure there are a lot of high end vendors in vendor row. But how about the swap?

Last year there were some of the So Cal regulars there in the parking lot.

If you drive a Porsche...and yes even a 914.... parking is free and there is a corral.

There are mostly the usual vendors there. Few years ago my wife took her 350Z on the track and got it up to about 110 on the high bank....quite different for me sitting in the passenger seat.

I'm thinking of having dinner at maybe the Cheesecake Factory in Victoria Gardens or maybe Chevy's nearby. Plenty parking at Chevy"s.

Wife is out of town that weekend so good boys night out for me. Should be fun.
Elliot Cannon

Click to view attachment

You could probably park your care there long enough to take a picture. Plenty of room for people to go around.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 22 2016, 07:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Last year there were some of the So Cal regulars there in the parking lot.

If you drive a Porsche...and yes even a 914.... parking is free and there is a corral.

There are mostly the usual vendors there. Few years ago my wife took her 350Z on the track and got it up to about 110 on the high bank....quite different for me sitting in the passenger seat.

I'm thinking of having dinner at maybe the Cheesecake Factory in Victoria Gardens or maybe Chevy's nearby. Plenty parking at Chevy"s.

Wife is out of town that weekend so good boys night out for me. Should be fun.

Chevy's is good and affordable. 4551 E. Mill Circle Ontario, Ca. Saturday @ 7:00 ? Anyone? Any other suggestions?
Elliot Cannon
The swap meet is Saturday only. It looks like Saturday is the day to be there for me.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 22 2016, 06:37 PM) *

Chevy's is good and affordable. 4551 E. Mill Circle Ontario, Ca. Saturday @ 7:00 ? Anyone? Any other suggestions?

Sounds good to me. flag.gif
jim_hoyland
Shot of the all 914 parade lap participants, 2008
PancakePorsche
Who's Revenna green 73' is that? Very rare to see color. My absolute favorite !
Alphaogre
I think I'm going to try and stay up there the whole weekend. My buddy is going to go and camp in his 5th wheel.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 22 2016, 08:31 PM) *

Shot of the all 914 parade lap participants, 2008

I remember that year. I was in the "Zonker" behind Dr. Bob Decker in his 3.0 six. The driver of the pace car looked to be about 80 years old in a 911 cab. We figured it would be pokey second gear laps. The old guy took off like a shot! It was all we could do to keep up with him. Dr. Decker wanted to tip him. av-943.gif We had a great time. biggrin.gif The parade laps can make the whole day. driving.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Mar 22 2016, 09:04 PM) *

Who's Revenna green 73' is that? Very rare to see color. My absolute favorite !

IIRC it belongs to Richard Washington. He is an original owner and shows up at special events. He also drives a Caymen. Nice guy, he has a great 914 story
jim_hoyland
The last car on the right in the 914 parade lap line was driven by Member # 8..... Who, to his credit got the PCA to have a 914 0nly parade laps
campbellcj
I will be there Saturday morning. Not racing, probably will just shoot pics for 1-2 hours. In the past few years honestly I felt I'd seen everything of interest after about 90 minutes.

Fontana is a horrible venue for spectators or photographers IMO. You're pretty much limited to the grandstand far-away view of the "roval", or watching thru chain link from afar.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 23 2016, 08:47 AM) *

I will be there Saturday morning. Not racing, probably will just shoot pics for 1-2 hours. In the past few years honestly I felt I'd seen everything of interest after about 90 minutes.

Fontana is a horrible venue for spectators or photographers IMO. You're pretty much limited to the grandstand far-away view of the "roval", or watching thru chain link from afar.

That is my biggest gripe about the track. You used to be able to get up close and personal to the track, now you can't get close unless you have photo-journalist credentials. Hmmmm. Maybe I could make up my own auto magazine I.D. biggrin.gif What name should I use for my magazine?
914_teener
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 23 2016, 08:47 AM) *

I agree with Elliot....once they stopped letting people up close.....then it became kind of boring.

I had heard some guy had wrecked and then they had to change things...at least that was the rumor.

Chris...why aren.t you taking your car?

campbellcj
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 23 2016, 04:10 PM) *

Chris...why aren.t you taking your car?

Several reasons including cost but mainly, I am not fond of the "roval" setup there in terms of the concrete walls and runoff areas. Also my car has very short gears and would be screaming along at 8,000rpm with a bunch of the guys zinging past me. The Fontana infield section is pretty fun though, and the garages are nice, have to admit.

I thought about taking my Turbo but I'm not ready to track that yet. It is just coming off CPO warranty though and I have a significant stash of parts to bolt on. Maybe next year.
sb914
icon_bump.gif
Elliot Cannon
Chance of rain that weekend. dry.gif
914-300Hemi
I plan on being there on Saturday.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 22 2016, 07:37 PM) *

Chevy's is good and affordable. 4551 E. Mill Circle Ontario, Ca. Saturday @ 7:00 ?

Are we still on for dinner? chowtime.gif

Rain or Shine. pat.gif The event goes on.
914_teener
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 3 2016, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 22 2016, 07:37 PM) *

Chevy's is good and affordable. 4551 E. Mill Circle Ontario, Ca. Saturday @ 7:00 ?

Are we still on for dinner? chowtime.gif

Rain or Shine. pat.gif The event goes on.

Yes....I'm still going---confidence in rain down here has been a crap shoot so I wouldn't worry.

Gotta leave the event early though, but I'll be at Chevy's at 7.
Elliot Cannon
I'm afraid I'm not going to make it this year. I don't mind the rain so much, I just don't like driving my 914 in it. I hope to see everyone at the G&R. I don't want to ruin everyone's weekend but I hope it rains like a beeeotch. We really need it. Sorry JP. See you at RT66.
Cuda911
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 22 2016, 05:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The swap meet is a mixture of crap and some good stuff. Last year I bought some stuff I needed to complete my 914 tool kits from Bruce Stone. Also, I bought a very nice metal 914 model car and an old magazine that featured the 914. Missed out on a set of pedals and carpet for my 996... saw them and when I went back to buy them they had been sold.

Like any swap meet, the early bird catches the worm. But, don't forget, the early worm gets eaten.

Just finished this mod on my Boxste':
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.