Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear trunk Height?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkonzelman
so I am restoring a 914, and when I installed the rear trunk, and there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the rear trunk top and the top of the fenders. the trunk is too high! the hinges are in great shape, and the hinge attachment points are solid, no rust at all! This leads me to think that there must be a way to adjust the height of the rear trunk. Anyone ever have any success in adjusting the height of the trunk? the hinges have a metal strip attached, with a slotted hole, is this the way to adjust it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

birthday3.gif
Larmo63
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
pilothyer
You can always raise one that is too low by using washers and a longer bolt, but you can only lower the lid by lowering the hinge cups. Someone in the past must have welded on new hinge cups and got them a bit too high. mad.gif
jkonzelman
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Mar 20 2016, 04:27 AM) *

You can always raise one that is too low by using washers and a longer bolt, but you can only lower the lid by lowering the hinge cups. Someone in the past must have welded on new hinge cups and got them a bit too high. mad.gif

well that was not the anwer I was hoping for sad.gif

now its time to get get creative I suppose. there has to be a way to 'science the shit of this' perhaps its time to remove the tension springs and go with the gas strut.
or

indent the attachment point on the hood.

or

desing a new hinge, one that is adjustable!

zambezi
Lets see a pic of the hinge mount point. The proper and EASIEST way is always to do it right. If the mount points are welded in wrong then remove them and put them back correctly.
brant
QUOTE(zambezi @ Mar 20 2016, 10:05 AM) *

Lets see a pic of the hinge mount point. The proper and EASIEST way is always to do it right. If the mount points are welded in wrong then remove them and put them back correctly.

agree.gif
jsaum
If the trunk lid us a half inch higher closest to the pivot hinges then they are probably high and need to be repositioned and welded back in place. I replaced one of mine and got it 1/8 of an inch high and now have to redo it. There isn't a way to adjust it.
toolguy
try a couple of spacer washers under the lid on the bolts closest to the rear of the trunk.
That way the hinges will pivot further and thus go lower.

to be clearer, that would be between the hinge and the lid
jcd914
agree.gif

It adds an angle to the hinge and allows the lid to sit lower.
I don't know if you can get a 1/2 inch?

Jim
jkonzelman
QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 20 2016, 03:24 PM) *

try a couple of spacer washers under the lid on the bolts closest to the rear of the trunk.
That way the hinges will pivot further and thus go lower.

to be clearer, that would be between the hinge and the lid

I like it! thinking out of the box! Ill give it a shot! certainly cant hurt. THanks!!!!

I am also thinking, the 'strut' on the hinge, the short flat bar that is slotted, sets the travel distance for the hinge, so if I drill out theslot more, it can set down a bit when closed. was hoping someone had figured this out before, and I could follow. But I really dont want to start hacking away and rewelding if I dont have to. besides, if i can come up with an adjustable hinge mod, then its new and improved! smile.gif and I love a good challenge.

barefoot
Just had an idea (one of my few)
If you have welding skills, or know someone who has, remove the hinge plates and cut a 1/2" section out and have them welded back together, If I remember right there's probably enough meat on them for this. If it doesn't work there are lots of hinge plates out there for sale, or you could try one soured from here as a test piece before modding yours. Easier than removing and re-welding the pivots onto the body shell.
r_towle
Why won't you show the wonderful people here the real setup with PICTURES so you can get a valid answer and not a guess?
jkonzelman
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 20 2016, 08:24 PM) *

Just had an idea (one of my few)
If you have welding skills, or know someone who has, remove the hinge plates and cut a 1/2" section out and have them welded back together, If I remember right there's probably enough meat on them for this. If it doesn't work there are lots of hinge plates out there for sale, or you could try one soured from here as a test piece before modding yours. Easier than removing and re-welding the pivots onto the body shell.

I agree, and yes another good idea! Thanks!

I wish I had some pics, but I took the trunklid off to paint it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.