Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Left Rear Inner Suspension Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Heater Guy
Ripped out the LH inner suspension connection console this weekend at Laguna Seca.
Happened during SCCA qualifying coming out of turn 5 up the hill. Lucky it didn't happen in the turn.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I plan to weld in a donor replacement part and reinforce it with a reinforcement piece from Tangerine Racing.

Looking for any suggestions to make this attaching point stronger. Are there any other options for replacing the left side other than using a donor piece from another 914? I understand right side replacement consoles are available but not available for the left side.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cracker
Just curious...do you have a secondary support back to the firewall? I have Tangerines plated console reinforcement. What have you done over the years to strengthen the console?

PS: I dig your car!

Tony
Heater Guy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 20 2016, 06:56 PM) *

Just curious...do you have a secondary support back to the firewall? I have Tangerines plated console reinforcement. What have you done over the years to strengthen the console?

PS: I dig your car!

Tony

No secondary support to the firewall. Not convinced it would do a lot laterally. Plan to use Tangerine's reinforcing plates with a new donor console.
We welded two angle irons on the ear to reinforce it and plated other areas of the chssis. Never reinforced the trailing arms because I thought it better to bend an arm than tear out attachment points. I may want to rethink that.

Thanks for the good words.
ThePaintedMan
Yikes! Glad this didn't end up as a wreck. Sounds like you havw a good plan moving forward. Out of curiosity, what class are running in SCCA? ITE?
Heater Guy
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 20 2016, 08:14 PM) *

Yikes! Glad this didn't end up as a wreck. Sounds like you havw a good plan moving forward. Out of curiosity, what class are running in SCCA? ITE?

Improved Touring E is an unlimited regional class. You must have an original tub, meet safety requirements and run DOT tires/ slicks. No weight, aero, tire size, HP, type engine, type transmission,etc. Run what you brung.
brant
I'm surprised you haven't ripped one out before
a suspension console without a brace running forward, is a guarantee failure point on a race car.

I once ripped 2 of them out in 12 months

make sure you add a brace running forward when you repair it, or you will be doing it again soon.
Randal
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Mar 20 2016, 11:20 AM) *

Ripped out the LH inner suspension connection console this weekend at Laguna Seca.
Happened during SCCA qualifying coming out of turn 5 up the hill. Lucky it didn't happen in the turn.

I plan to weld in a donor replacement part and reinforce it with a reinforcement piece from Tangerine Racing.

Looking for any suggestions to make this attaching point stronger. Are there any other options for replacing the left side other than using a donor piece from another 914? I understand right side replacement consoles are available but not available for the left side.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sorry to see the destruction, but getting Chris's assembly will be a good move. After I changed mine, never had a failure.
MichiganMat
Oh man, glad to see it wasn't worse. I saw your car out at an SCCA event up at Sonoma last year, its a pretty trick piece of machinery dude, nice work. My good friend Trekkor sheared his off at a track day I was at too, luckily caught before anything catastrophic.

With those wheels & tires though, its a miracle those dog-ears didn't shear off a long time ago!

Seems like a good opportunity to weld in the offset / raised suspension consoles, thats what I would do if I wasn't neck-deep in my racer build at the moment. Im going definitely going to weld heim-joint reinformcents back to my "firewall" but looking at your failure there, wow, it just tore the whole inner out of that ear. Impressive, haha.

Keep us up to date on the repairs.
ChrisFoley
Ron,
Your pre-shaped reinforcements are on the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.