Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Scary stuff. Took a piece of old exhaust heat shield and tried to do a couple of spot welds. Never touched a welder in my life. I think once I get over being nervous and can keep my hand steady it'll be okay. All I have to do is tack weld a battery tray onto the support. What's hard is trying to see. Is it possible the helmet I'm using is too dark. Oh yeah, only blew 1 hole in it.
seanery
Allan, do you have an auto-darkening helmet? Those really help.
Have someone who is good show you what a good weld looks like
and how to do it. You'll pick it up in no time and will be able to trust
your welds! welder.gif
Allan
I got nobody. Both of the guys that could have done it are unavailable and I have to get this thing in tomorrow. I just have to keep practicing. I have a new roll of wire and a fresh tank of gas. cool.gif
Brando
I'm not as good as a professional, certified contract welder, but I've got 6 years' experience... You're up in the Bako, hm? I could make a venture out there possibly and give you some tips. Also if you don't have one already, get an auto-darkening helmutt. Those are the shit, makes welding a lot easier because you don't have to stop and flip up your visor to make sure you welded okay... or started in the right spot... or any number of things for that moment you're blind.
J P Stein
Auto darken helmets have gotten much cheeper now that the Chinese are makin' them .....HF has got em'.

.025 auto body wire .....at your local welding supply or auto body store, makes welding on thin material *much* easier. It is about 2/3rds the hardness of regular wire. One make is named Easy-Grind and is well named. I don't use it on
structual welds tho.
Allan
This is just for the battery tray. The support is already in. I am using .023 solid w/gas. Thanks for the offer Brando. I think for this one I'm on my own.
Mueller
do you have a fire extingisher????

experinced or not, you need one !!!!!!
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 25 2005, 12:44 PM)
do you have a fire extingisher????

Many. 20 lb. ABC.

Thanks
JoeSharp
I always have a hard time seeing the puddel....a littel orange-red shiny spot down in the middel of the smoke and fire. Changed glasses and added shades for my wire feed and it is O.K. If you can see the puddel try to lead it around with your heat.
biggrin.gif Joe
John Kelly
If you are using the old style welding hood, check to make sure that the dark lens is sandwiched by clear plastic lenses to protect it. Get new ones, and replace the welding glass if it is messed up as well. They are cheap, and it is amazing how much better you can see with new cover lenses.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Jeroen
make sure the metal your trying to weld is clean, clean, clean
a good prep will take some time, but it saves you a lot of headaches
good luck!
TimT
Practice on things that dont matter cut up little hunks of sheet metal, and practice welding on them

practice on these little bit in odd positions, where you cant actually see what your welding

Then when you get good at that, weld the things that count

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.