Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-ish: Bavarian motorheads.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
Taking the family to Bavaria. What's a motorhead to do? We've got the typical tourist stuff on the list, but what should a car guy be sure to see? Specifically, we'll be in the south-eastern part of Baden Wurttemburg and also Munich.
Gustl
Porsche Museum in Stuttgart
Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart
BMW Museum in Munich
Deutsches Museum in Munich
Audi Museum in Ingolstadt

Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 21 2016, 10:33 AM) *

Porsche Museum in Stuttgart
Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart
BMW Museum in Munich
Deutsches Museum in Munich
Audi Museum in Ingolstadt

agree.gif x5

Plus - also being an `88 VW Westy owner - I'd add:

Bulli Museum (VW Van & Truck) in Hamburg/Oldendorf
VW Museum in Wolfsburg

Have Fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JeffBowlsby
If you go near Telfs Austria, connect with our brother Wolfgang (Gustl)!
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 21 2016, 07:40 PM) *
Plus - also being an `88 VW Westy owner - I'd add:

Bulli Museum (VW Van & Truck) in Hamburg/Oldendorf
VW Museum in Wolfsburg

well, but you have to know that these are about 6 hours up north of the area biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Our family hails from Irschenhausen, south of Munich near Wolfratshausen.

We also visited Dachau, pretty heavy, not to be a buzzkill, but wow.
r_towle
BMW museum and there are several art museums in Munich that are worth the time.

Stuttgart is a bit of a drive, but the porsche museum is there and its a day trip from munich.

Rent a fast car.
An S series Mercedes or a large BMW or Large audi will do the trick.
They are all limited to 150 MPH, but well worth it to try it....
Bigger is better at that speed, less wind issues.

Head on the AutoBahn towards Garmish, is the easiest one, its about 2-4 miles till you have no speed limit..
All the other ones make you wait a while.

Plus, the view heading to Garmish will blow your mind, so have a camera ready.

There is a town next to Starnberg, It may be wolfrasthausen...cannot remember.
Its the exit after Starnberg heading towards Garmish.
This town is like the hollywood of Germany.
As a result, there is alot of money there.

Small town, fairly close to the highway.
Go get a coffee and sit outside on a nice sunny day to watch people and cars.
You will see some nice Iron...

Rich
draganc
if you are in Munich and Stuttgart, as mentioned before, do the BMW and Porsche museum.
if you have nice weather forget about the museum and get drunk in one of the Biergartens, and than hit the Autobahn - just kidding!!!

If you go south on the Garmisch Autobahn, stop by "Kloster Andechs" for great food and drinks. very close to Starnberg.

some of the best place (prices/selections) for rentals is sixt.com. they have a ton of fun cars, incl. 911, M3, Jags and any kind of Benz or Beemers.

also, it's about a 2hrs drive south of Munich but it's well worth to go to Salzburg's old town and the ultimate man-cave:

http://www.hangar-7.com/en/the-flying-bull...e-flying-bulls/

have fun and bring your Lederhosen!
bandjoey
Touristy things: small hidden museum nestled between 2 freeways very close to the Frankfurt airport if you should fly out of there. The Graf Zepplin museum.

Ulm, (between Munich and Stuttgart) home and museum to General Rommel. (Google these ahead of time... It's been a few years since I was there. )

Stop in any small town to see WW2 memorials for both sides.

Take the back roads if you have time. Stay off the Autobahn. A million small towns on drivers twisty roads. Get an ADAC atlas

North of Goeppingen on the road to Swabisch Gmumd (a great Schwabian town) bout 1/2 hour are the remains of Frederich Barbarossa's castle. No tourists. 1150ad. He ran The country back then.

Ask anyone stationed in Germany 20-30 years ago where to go for fun and away from the tourists. Have a great time.

r_towle
http://monkeysandmountains.com/monkey-moun...berg-in-germany

I forgot about this.
We lived there with four kids, this was the most fun ever...
mbseto
Thanks all, for the replies. I'll have the family in tow, so probably won't be able to rent a 911 and scream down the autobahn. The Deutches Museum is definitely on the list. So is Dachau, I believe it's important for the kids to see and learn the lessons of history.

We'll be coming in from Zurich and spending a few days in Ravensburg- I used to live there as a youngster, just want to see the old hangouts. Then we'll head to Fuessen and see Neuschwanstein. We could fit Garmish in at that point, then up to Munich to the museums.

Hope the weather is nice, I'll bring back pics...
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 22 2016, 08:20 PM) *

Ask anyone stationed in Germany 20-30 years ago where to go for fun and away from the tourists. Have a great time.

agree.gif Boy I miss those days. Germany is beautiful, particularly in the South.

Have a great time, Matthew. It's all beautiful, particularly off the Autobahn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.