Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I ordered a shift bushing kit and as I get ready to put everything in I found 2 that came with the kit but I don't have on my car. Any idea what they are for?

Mueller
the coupling....looks like a universal joint
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 25 2005, 12:45 PM)
the coupling....looks like a universal joint

agree.gif Looks like the bushings that go on the cuppling on the shift rod. idea.gif
tat2dphreak
yep, right past the firewall... those are a BITCH!!!

I have a trick for the firewall bushing...

I soak it in hot water,
then put a big(in diameter, a couple inches long, all threads) with a washer that's as big as the bushing through the bushing then into the firewall hole...
put another big washer and a nut on the other side...
have someone hold a wrenc on the nut on the inside...
then tighten the bolt tight(not too tight)
then one whack with the hammer and it's in and not damaged...

sounds complicated, but you are essentially making a press... I've had to do it a few times, and this works well...
Allan
I just went out and looked at where they go. I think in this case it's going to be one of those "If it aint broke" leave it the hell alone. Mine seems tight and has no play in it so this will be a project for a (much) later date.
JoeSharp
I've heard of people breaking the univesal joint trying to get them in. If its tight forget it.
biggrin.gif Joe
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 25 2005, 04:27 PM)
I've heard of people breaking the univesal joint trying to get them in. If its tight forget it.
biggrin.gif Joe

agree.gif

anything that's that much of a pain in the ass doesn't get changed unless it's real messed up!
TheCabinetmaker
Grab the shift rod close to the coupler, and shake vigorously. If it doesn't move, save the bushings for when they do move, and they eventually will.

BTW, they ain't that hard to replace, and you won't break the universal if you don't beat on it with a BFH.
Porsche Rescue
Poor man's press: Vise, deep socket, bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the pin. Saves replacing the potmetal piece.
SGB
Mine didn't fail until a couple of weeks after the others were replaced. It was no big deal with a big vice (but I broke one smaller vice doing this). I find getting the #**&@! rubber cover at the firewall on properly is worse than the bushing part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.