Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
i picked up a engine today.....a supposed 1,7 engine.....i pick it up and look at it and i see 1,8 throttle body and two injection harnesses and a computer fitting god knows which car.....all i know is that the computer doesnt have the idle mixture adjustment knob, which means it matches the year range of the 1,7....so far everything makes sense. Okay, my question is where could i hook up a MPS to on a 1,8 intake plenum and throttle body? ( everything i said is true ASSUMING the 1.7 had the upright throttle body setup with the wider intake plenum)
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 02:38 PM)
i picked up a engine today.....a supposed 1,7 engine.....i pick it up and look at it and i see 1,8 throttle body and two injection harnesses and a computer fitting god knows which car.....all i know is that the computer doesnt have the idle mixture adjustment knob, which means it matches the year range of the 1,7....so far everything makes sense. Okay, my question is where could i hook up a MPS to on a 1,8 intake plenum and throttle body?

Okay, my question is where could i hook up a MPS to on a 1,8 intake plenum and throttle body?

just find a vacumm source on the intake plenum, you might have to use a "T"

the 1.8 ECU will not work with the D-Jet fuel injection and neither will the 1.8 wiring harness
Mueller
1.7 does not have an upright throttle body, only the 2.0 has that...........
TheCabinetmaker
1.7s have a sideways mounted throttle body. 2.0s have the throttle body facing up. I have no clue about the L-jet. Got a pic? A 1.7 d-jet works fine on a 1.8, so its possible the switch could have been made at some point in time.
Mueller
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 25 2005, 02:45 PM)
1.7s have a sideways mounted throttle body. 2.0s have the throttle body facing up. I have no clue about the L-jet. Got a pic? A 1.7 d-jet works fine on a 1.8, so its possible the switch could have been made at some point in time.

to the casual viewer, the 1.7 and 1.8 intakes look the same....
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Mike. Like I said, I am clueless about the L-jet. Never seen one on a car, but hope to tinker with one some day.
bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 25 2005, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 25 2005, 02:45 PM)

to the casual viewer, the 1.7 and 1.8 intakes look the same....

Yup, need pics! If you have the air cleaner, and it takes a round element or has an oil bath, it's 1.7. If you have an air flow sensing flap, it's a 1.8. I think only d-jet has FI trigger points in the distributor, so check that too.
brant
the 73 1.7 did have the upright throttle body.
what are the numbers on the motor?

bondo
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 25 2005, 03:00 PM)

Mine doesn't! it points towards the left rear wheel, and there's a 180 degree elbow going to the air cleaner that sits on top of the intake pelenum.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 25 2005, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 25 2005, 03:00 PM)

Mine doesn't! it points towards the left rear wheel, and there's a 180 degree elbow going to the air cleaner that sits on top of the intake pelenum.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
brant
I haven't had one for a long time...
but I thought that the 73 1.7 went to the paper air filter and the upright throttle body.

did some of them?

maybe I'm totally wrong, but I really thought that was true.

guess you learn something new everyday

brant
TheCabinetmaker
Brant, the 73 did have a paper filter, but not an upright throttle body. This is of course, to the best of my knowledge, and experience.
bd1308
sweet guys!!! Thanks alot. Its just me being clinically insane/unstable....if I am insane, might as well laugh laugh.gif Anyway, Thanks guys.....does anybody have a cheal 1.7 MPS and/or a cheap fuel pump?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 05:40 PM)
does anybody have a cheap 1.7 MPS and/or a cheap fuel pump?

laugh.gif chairfall.gif
bd1308
meow what is so damn funny?
.....i knew for sure these things werent over like $300....
*SIGH* i guess this means more trips to the plasma bank and eating nothing more than ramen noodles....damn sad.gif
redshift
huh.gif

laugh.gif

M
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 04:55 PM)
*SIGH* i guess this means more trips to the plasma bank and eating nothing more than ramen noodles....damn sad.gif

post a WTB ad with the price you are willing to pay for a known good part.....
Dave_Darling
The early 1.7 ECU does not have a knob on the outside--nor does the 1.8 ECU (either version). I strongly suggest you check for part numbers on the ECU before you assume which kind it is.

The 1.8 manifold has outlet pipes (that hook up to the intake runner pipes going to the heads) that are the same diameter as the 2.0 ones; the 1.7 has smaller outlet pipes. If you've got access to 1.7 or 2.0 "intake boots" (the really fat vacuum hoses) you can check to see if or how they fit on the manifold. The 1.7 boots will only fit the 1.7 manifold; 1.8 or 2.0 boots will be loose on the 1.7 manifold but will fit the 1.8 one fine.

--DD
bd1308
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 25 2005, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 04:55 PM)

post a WTB ad with the price you are willing to pay for a known good part.....

i dont know what they go for....dumb me, i actually thought they went for the pelican price of $999.....
SLITS
Since I sent you the frickin engine, you will find that it has an MPS attached to it and the second "brain & harness" are for a early 1.7 (no idle adjustment knob). The OE on the brain is correct for the application.

You might also notice that the harness on the engine has a large plastic connector...this is what plugs into the brain. All you do is remove the grey plastic cover from the brain box and you will see where the white connector goes.

It is not a 1.8..... If you look at the dizzy, it has a trigger points connector which a 1.8 does not have.

What I forgot to include on the engine was the oil bath air cleaner and the rubber elbow that connects the air cleaner to the throttle body...which I am still looking for.

Now, if that isn't reassurance enough, go to the engine number that is stamped into the rib on the top of the case near the flywheel, left side looking from the front of the engine. I can't remember which one it is, but it will start with a "W", "EA" or "EB".

Any further questions, email me................
TheCabinetmaker
Wellll now, why didn't you just email Ron to begin with? wacko.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 25 2005, 06:10 PM)
you will find that it has an MPS attached to it

i'm going for a second looky........sorry doods. Maybe there IS a mps there, and i justs didn't see.
JoeSharp
ROTFLMFAO. Kid
Thanks Ron.
Joe
bd1308
i can vote...i'm not a kid.
JoeSharp
I'm 56 and your a KID.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 25 2005, 07:30 PM)
I'm 56 and your a KID.

owned..... lol2.gif

next time email the buyer first....or ron will come out swinging slap.gif
bd1308
i'm dropping it....i didnt find a MPS dry.gif....joe actually man you got it wrong....kids drop out of high school and work at Valvoline instant oil change, or just fail at life......I am a very responsible person and I dont appreciate your comments. Its all relative, to you , everybody NOT 59 is a kid. your comment could have not been said.
JoeSharp
Hey Kid! Maybe we should ask Alison Baker about this.
finger.gif Joe
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 07:42 PM)
i'm dropping it....i didnt find a MPS dry.gif....joe actually man you got it wrong....kids drop out of high school and work at Valvoline instant oil change, or just fail at life......I am a very responsible person and I dont appreciate your comments. Its all relative, to you , everybody NOT 59 is a kid. your comment could have not been said.

dude, you need to relax a little.....get used to being called a kid for many more years....I'm damn near 40 and a couple of my older co-workers say the same thing to me when I ask a silly question due to lack of research smile.gif

you've got a strange definition of "kid" wacko.gif
bd1308
okay, i'll chill out...mueller, you do have a point....Joe, sorry dude.....how is alison anyways?
JoeSharp
Thanks.
Joe
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 25 2005, 06:06 PM)
i can vote...i'm not a kid.

Get over it kid! I can vote, I can buy alcohol,I can buy a handgun I'm a kid. When I'm 45, I'll be a kid. I don't wanna be a grown up. I will always be a kid to these old farts and they will always be old farts to me biggrin.gif In case you havn't noticed yet (2 months later) there's a lot of "ball busting" around here, so don't get your pecker twisted in a knot! Take a picture of the frickin engine,OR trust the guy you bought it from!!! wacko.gif Now...... go have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuch up laugh.gif
bd1308
i think the dizzy in this engine is WAAAYYYY less rusty than my present dizzy. A public bow and thank you goes to Ron.....thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.