Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 interior options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Wyvern
Hello ... Looking for some info on correct interior options for the 73.
I want to redo it and perhaps change but would like it to be correct / an option.

Move from tan to black ... most interested in seat CLOTH insert options.

Searched and included Bowlsbys site but it skips 73.

Thanks for any info
Tom_T
Just use the `74 info at Jeff's site, since it's the same choices as `73 MY.

The 73 & 74 cloth choices were the corduroy in black, beige or brown - no plaids until 75-76. I don't know of any source for the correct corduroy, but you can try Autos International in Escondido, World Upholstery in Santa Paula, & Lakewell.com in Belgium - but you'll have to email or call them to ask for the corduroy fabric availability. Otherwise if not them, then go down the list of VW interior suppliers at TheSamba.com, ISP West, etc. around the VW-rich SoCal area.

However, I think that the yellow pace car had the basketweave seat inserts - not corduroy (cloth) - but am not absolutely sure, & don't know who could do the deep research to find out for you for sure (maybe some retired Porsche+Audi ad guy?).

Get the flags done too - they were definitiely cloth! biggrin.gif flag.gif << yellow flag

If you go to the google image search below, then you can also get the side signage text, & you'll see that at least one other person has done the yellow pace car tribute....

https://www.google.com/search?q=Porsche+914...280&bih=542

PS - I did some more looking & found your post to do the tribute car, so you've already seen the stuff at the above link.

BTW - the beige interior is more rare on 914s - & cooler in our hot SoCal summers - so if you decide to stay with that & need the basketweave for the door cards &/or to do the seat inserts too - email Lakewell for the fabric which matches. They were the last source which still had matching smooth leatherette & basketweave vinyl to buy in bulk for my 73 2L, but you'll have to email them to get the proper yardage for how much you do in each - but order enough for seat inserts too if there's any chance you'll do them too, since it could be gone or from a different dye lot if you order later.

Good Luck on your pace car tribute!

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Wyvern
^^^ thanks very much .
Good info that the 73 was same options as 74 .

The F1 Pacecar is done ... just finishing touches and researching info ... my best intell does say Tan interior. So may just stick with that .

IPB Image
Tom_T
I saw that on your build topic for it, but the magazine ad pic that I posted above was from the actual CanAm 914 pace car on the track at one of the events (Watkins Glen IIRC - same one as toolguy/Dave posted at your other topic on the tribute car) & it looks black.

However, there could've been more than one used with a tan interior for CanAm, & I'm not sure offhand right now what the F1 version was paint or interior colors.

The pic you posted above is the guy who did his own tribute up in Ontario Canada, & IIRC it's tan inside. Is that yours with Ontario plates?
... if not, then maybe some of our Canuck members have seen it & can help you there.

I saw your topic here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=273531

In the end, you do what color & all that suits you, since your tribute is for you to enjoy!

Your East Bay Area sometimes gets hot in summer, & the tan/beige is much cooler on your butt & back .... from my first hand experience here in SoCal! blink.gif

Plus, IIRC we'd chatted on here before that you're from the UK - Welsh or Brit - given the Wyvern, I think I asked if you were a Rugby fan, my being a 26 year ex-player myself.

My point being, that you're more used to cooler climates where black is preferable .... whereas lighter colors here in CA are nice & cooler, but black is also harder to keep perfectly clean & lint-free if you concours or show it competitively, since black shows every speck!

Since it's almost done, which engine did you end up with? confused24.gif
IIRC on your other thread that you were considering a bored/stroked upbuild at 2L+.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.