Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monza Dual Exhaust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Foxman
I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 2.0L soon and was wondering if anyone has used the dual exhaust available from Pelican Parts or if you have another brand you might prefer. Thanks in advance.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Foxman @ Mar 25 2005, 03:09 PM)
I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 2.0L soon and was wondering if anyone has used the dual exhaust available from Pelican Parts or if you have another brand you might prefer. Thanks in advance.

i have the MANTA quad-tip exhaust. i like it and it hasn't rusted away yet (3 years and counting) ...

i hear the dansk banana is the best, performance/HP wise ...
wink.gif Andy
Steve Thacker
I'm running the Monza. I love the sound. When this one wears out I'll get another.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Mar 25 2005, 06:04 PM)
I'm running the Monza. I love the sound. When this one wears out I'll get another.

Better plan on it being an annual expense ............ Monzas are a POS, IMO, in terms of build quality and lifespan. In addition, they're really heavy. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2005, 06:12 PM)
Monzas are a POS, IMO, in terms of build quality and lifespan. In addition, they're really heavy.

the old ones are both, rusty and heavy.
the newer (knock-offs) like the MANTA are much lighter and seem to be better build.

like i said, i had mine for 3 years and i don't even have surface rust on it yet.
burned off the original paint in the first week and painted it in high-temp paint and that worked just fine ...

having said that, mine will be for sale soon, going to a header system with a single muffler outlet ...
smile.gif Andy
Joe Bob
On a four cylinder....the best exhaust is a single outlet.....duals or ones with neato torpedo quad tips are a waste of time....
SirAndy
QUOTE ("Z" @ Mar 25 2005, 06:18 PM)
On a four cylinder....the best exhaust is a single outlet.....duals or ones with neato torpedo quad tips are a waste of time....

not really. if build right (4 in 1) it doesn't matter how many "tips" you have at the end ...

the MANTA i have is 4-in-2-in-1 and then splits in 2 again and then into 4 tips, so, from a backpressure point of view, it's just as good as a single outlet ...

wink.gif Andy
jgiroux67
Does anybody have a sound clip of the monza and also the triad exhaust. I need to decide which to get. Also those of you with either of them, what is the measurement from the outside of the left tip although the the far right side of the right tip. I need to know how much to cut out of my 916 bumper.

Andy I like the look of your set up.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 25 2005, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Mar 25 2005, 06:18 PM)

not really. if build right (4 in 1) it doesn't matter how many "tips" you have at the end ...

the MANTA i have is 4-in-2-in-1 and then splits in 2 again and then into 4 tips, so, from a backpressure point of view, it's just as good as a single outlet ...

wink.gif Andy

OK...it works...but it's not FUNCTIONAL.....4 to 1 to 2 or more is just extra metal....in other words....RICE! It adds NOTHING to performance.....it's window dressing.

4 to 2 actually detracts from Type IV performance. Then on the 911 motors, 6 to 2 is OK on some apps....mostly you will see 6 to 2 to 1....
Mueller
I've just never understood the appeal of 4 exhaust tips...why stop there, add more 4 more so when you barely beat that Saturn at the stop light, they think you have some huge motor in the car screwy.gif biggrin.gif
Steve Thacker
Well I'm not going to sit here and go into all the 4-2-1-2-4 stuff. What I do know in the CFM area is, my engine breathes real good out the back. We are dealing with a frigging air pump here folks, less unrestricted air going in and the less out.. Sure "some" backpressure assists in the design. I didn't care that it is a little heavy, I'm not a Auto-Xer. If I had that in mind we would be talking huge headers and the whole lot.

I really love the throaty sound. Before I forget.... Andy when you are ready to switch out your Manta give me a heads up.

If anyone thinks it is rice then stop being a lazy ass and pass me the soy sauce. laugh.gif
redshift
Triad! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! HUMP! HUMP! HUMP!

Ooops! Sorry, I got horny for a moment!

M
maf914
I think the Monza, Manta, Sprint, etc. four tip style exhaust all came about as copies of the Italian Abarth systems from the 60-70's. Everyone wanted their Fiats to have the dual-pipe-dual-tip look the V-12 Ferrari's had. laugh.gif

I bought a Monza many years ago. I thought the build quality was okay. But the sound was a bit too much for me. I found I would pussy-foot through my neighborhood to avoid either the open throttle blat or closed throttle burp. I used it for less than a year before going back to the stock muffler. What a relief.

I later used a Bursh quiet system for many years and thought it was okay.

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. idea.gif
rhodyguy
run what ever strikes your fancy. one draw back to some 4 tips is you have to notch the rear valance in 2 places. i would have a hard time hacking up a good one for an exhaust system. steep incline transitions can pose problems too. i've seen the bottom side of the tips ground down.

k
Ray Warren
Has anybody ever removed the muffler heat shield
(to make room for larger mufflers "don't ask yet")?
Had any problems with heat in the trunk?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.