Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel bearing replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Demick
Was thinking about replacing my rear wheel bearings before making the long journey down to WCC. I think this can be done without removing the transmission from the car, but somehow remember there are some caveats.

Can anyone confirm that it can be done with the tranny in the car, and anyone have any tips?

P/S: I've had the axles and half shafts out before - so I know how to do it, but my transmission was out at the time.

Thanks in advance.

Demick
Brad Roberts
The axles come out with some umph.. Which side ?

B
Dave_Darling
It shouldn't be that bad... You just have to maneuver the axles out of the way of everything while you're pounding, err, "tapping" them out of the hubs. smash.gif Once they're out of the hub, you can pull the hub and then smash.gif the bearings out of the trailing arm. Oh, yeah, unbolting that cover might help too.... wink.gif

The bad part is it will be difficult to take the trailing arms to a press without pulling them off the car. biggrin.gif

--DD
Eric_Shea
Sure.

1. Take the axles and stub axles back out.
2. Remove the lower shock bolt so you can swing them down and out of the way.
3. Drive the hub out with a "suitable drift" (I use an old 911 rear t-bar, big end fits perfect) remove the bearing cover. (almost forgot that)
4. Got air? I take an air hammer and a blunt bit and work the bearings in a 12:00/6:00 1:00/7:00 2:00/8:00 (you get the picture) manner. Heat helps if you don't see movement after the first few bursts with the hammer.
Brad Roberts
One of the two axles in a BITCH to pull out. I recall removing one of the shock bolts to get the swing arm to drop farther down to get the axle out. If I recall correctly.. you have to remove the starter if you are doing the drivers side.

Demick,

I thought you did your own aligments.... pull it off the car... it will save you frustration time with the CV bolts and such.

B
Eric_Shea
agree.gif with the Village People Cowboy (damn, you're a sexy man. The thought of you behind bars really had me going) laugh.gif

OK, OK... I'll be serious. Grab a 22mm and a 17mm and do what Brad says. Yank them off. It's so much easier to deal with at that point. smash.gif smash.gif
Demick
Thanks for the advise. When I had them out before, the bearings came out with the hubs - so there should be no problem with having the bearings stuck in the trailing arms. But the bearings were stuck to the hub something fierce. And since I had them out 5 years ago, I'm hoping that the stub axles come out pretty easy. I really don't want to remove the trailing arms or the next thing you know I'll be replacing the trailing arm bushings too.

One thing that doesn't make sense. If I am removing the bolt from the shock to let the trailing arm down lower - that indicates that I am maneuvering the axle out below the transmission. But Brad says (and I have heard it before), that removing the starter motor helps - and that indicates that I am maneuvering the axle out from above the transmission.

Anyway, sounds like I can do it with the tranny in the car (and if all else fails, remove the trailing arms). I'll be stopping by HPH for some bearings, and maybe some help getting the old bearings off the hubs if they are really stuck.

Thanks
Demick
JeffBowlsby
I am comfortable doing anything to my 914, but this is one task that I figure when I need it I would just take it to a shop. While it makes more sense to me to pay someone to do it I have seen this tool over at PP. Its pricey which doesn't make it worthwhile to me for this job because for mopst owners they would not be replacing the bearings very often, but would it save any grief?

"Hub/Bearing Extractor and Installer Kit

Want to save on a costly repair, replace your own bearing or pull your own hubs with our all in one Porsche kit. Designed to efficiently remove and install hub and wheel bearings, this kit will make the notoriously difficult job of removing rear wheel bearings a breeze.
The kit comes with a set of adapters specific to the Porsche series, but can also be used on all front and rear wheel drive vehicles with independent suspension. Also for R&R of the rear wheel bearings only on models with drum brakes independent rear suspension.

Hub/Bearing Extractor and Installer Kit, 911 1965-73, 912 All, 914 All
PEL-TOL-SIRB90-P1 $262.45"

Mueller
I made a tool similar to that one posted....now that I have a press, I just use the press instead...this tool would be a good item to do a "parntership" buy on and loan out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.